Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First AR build

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Cinnaduma
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2011
    • 13

    First AR build

    Hey all,

    I am about to start my first build on an AR. To keep my wife from killing me I need to keep the build as cheap as possible and I can upgrade it slowly after time but I kind of want something to shoot now.

    The only problem I have is that I need to convert any upper I buy (from the looks of it) to a left handed shooter version. This from what I have found by searching the web adds almost $300+ in cost since I have not found an upper that is setup for left handed.

    Any suggestions on getting this done for the least amount possible?
  • #2
    2shotjoe
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Feb 2011
    • 26708



    Looking at SBR, it seems to be a bit costly. Have you shot a right handed AR? My friend does and there doesn't seem to be a problem.

    I'd start with your lower first since you have to DROS it.
    Originally posted by Kestryll
    ..you're kind of a sad excuse for an attorney...
    Originally posted by Libertarian777
    ...Don't pick either side....

    Comment

    • #3
      wash
      Calguns Addict
      • Aug 2007
      • 9011

      Plenty of left handed people shoot right handed ARs.

      All left handed people shoot right handed AKs...

      I suggest you try a righty before you dismiss them.

      Then go to PSA and get one of their hammer forged barrel complete rifle kits.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by oaklander
      Dear Kevin,

      You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
      Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.

      Comment

      • #4
        darqhelmet
        Member
        • Jul 2010
        • 467

        Or just buy a Stag upper. They offer all of there models in a left hand option.
        Son, one day you will make a girl very happy, for a short period of time. Then she will leave you and be with men who are ten times better than you could ever hope to be. These men are called Marines.

        Comment

        • #5
          Relo
          Junior Member
          • Mar 2011
          • 8

          Hey lefty

          I shot my M16 for 4 years in the infantry (2/5) as a left handed shooter. I am also about to build my first AR and it will be set up right handed as well. Brass deflectors work but, its your rifle.
          -2nd BN 5th Marines

          Comment

          • #6
            Speedpower
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 2238

            Just buy this upper and be done with it!

            Comment

            • #7
              Cinnaduma
              Junior Member
              • Oct 2011
              • 13

              Guess I should have added that the reason I wanted to build it as a left handed out of the box is because I used my friends right handed and got tired of the brass hitting me.

              When I was searching earlier I didn't see the Stag Complete upper. But now that I have that seems like the way to go.

              Thanks

              Comment

              • #8
                deviljon
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2011
                • 2513

                If you decide to go with a right-handed AR, you can get a basic complete one from Palmetto State Armory for like $550 + FFL fees and DROS.

                http://palmettostatearmory.com/2552.php (needs a lower)

                You can also upgrade it with MOE parts (trigger guard, stock, grip, and handguard) for about $100 more.

                Comment

                • #9
                  n_saint
                  Junior Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • 17

                  I'm a lefty and all my AR's are right handed, never had any issues on brass hitting me on the face or right arm. All you need is an ambi selector and BAD lever and your gtg. Start with the lower and decide later on your upper receiver.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    wash
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Aug 2007
                    • 9011

                    Originally posted by Cinnaduma
                    Guess I should have added that the reason I wanted to build it as a left handed out of the box is because I used my friends right handed and got tired of the brass hitting me.

                    When I was searching earlier I didn't see the Stag Complete upper. But now that I have that seems like the way to go.

                    Thanks
                    Did his AR have a shell deflector?

                    Was it over-gassed?

                    Most ARs don't do that.
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by oaklander
                    Dear Kevin,

                    You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
                    Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Cinnaduma
                      Junior Member
                      • Oct 2011
                      • 13

                      Originally posted by wash
                      Did his AR have a shell deflector?

                      Was it over-gassed?

                      Most ARs don't do that.
                      It may have been. He had just completed the build on it and of course I was the first one to put it through its paces...he ended up putting it back in its case after that and he hasn't talked about it since.

                      I think I will go ahead and build it up right handed and just put the ambi selector on it for now. If I decide to switch it later I will look at some of the left handed parts at that time.

                      Thanks for all the info guys.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        WW2Buff
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2007
                        • 1327

                        Originally posted by Cinnaduma
                        I think I will go ahead and build it up right handed and just put the ambi selector on it for now. If I decide to switch it later I will look at some of the left handed parts at that time.
                        That's a good decision on your part. I think you'll find you'll be happy with it as a left as long as it has a shell deflector. Focus on the more important stuff now but most importantly, don't forget to post pics when you're done! Happy building -Ben

                        ETA: Or build a featureless and stick the normal safety!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          glock7
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2010
                          • 3390

                          I'm a lefty. Do not buy a lefty upper. The brass does not hit my arm nor my face. Run an ambi safety if you need to. Lefty upper? Not needed.
                          #blackriflesmatter
                          <4 years till retirement, can't wait to leave this state
                          California, where all of the good stuff is banned, registered, regulated or prohibited, yay.....

                          Law abiding firearm owners have no chance in this state.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            glock7
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2010
                            • 3390

                            Bad lever, that works for me also---just ditched the bad lever. numerous failure to lock back. an inherent problem with them that i've found in my search for answers. i ditched it and have had no malfs. go figure. ymmv.
                            Last edited by glock7; 12-17-2011, 12:40 PM. Reason: addendum
                            #blackriflesmatter
                            <4 years till retirement, can't wait to leave this state
                            California, where all of the good stuff is banned, registered, regulated or prohibited, yay.....

                            Law abiding firearm owners have no chance in this state.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1