Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR 15 accuracy issues

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • I am 9 years old
    Foul mouthed juvenile twit
    • Jan 2010
    • 28

    AR 15 accuracy issues

    2nd trip to the range today with my new AR i was set on trying zero this thing. Im worried about the accuracy im getting out of this gun.At 50 yards its unpredictable. im not the best shooter in the world and im shooting sitting down without a gun rest or sandbags to rest the rifle on so im a bit shaky at best. i know im not solid when i pull the trigger , im attributing the accuracy issues to this. is there anything im missing that could be causing my gun to bad or is it just me? im using fixed iron sights and tried to dial them in today and i think im close , should i be shooting from a rest to make sure the gun is solid when the shot is fired? my buddy i s a first time shooter and he couldent hit the broad side of a barn at 50, i think he just sucks though, im curious to know if the barrel nut torque would affect my accuracy this way? when i built the gun i hand tightend the nut as tight as i could and it lined up perfect with a gas tube hole so i went to the next hole at 30 ftlbs and left it. i mean everything else is solid. i just might need some good tips and any info would be much appreciated! thanks. my setup is 16 in sabre defence m5 barrel , bcm BCG vltor mur1a upper , m&p 15 lower and shooting american eagle fmj 55 grain. the pic attached is a group i shot intended for the stick on target. sometimes its worse than that
    Attached Files
  • #2
    bcrich
    Senior Member
    • May 2008
    • 1159

    Try some match rounds and use a rest so you can rule out human error! Those groups you posted aren't the best but also not the worst for shooting free hand. Try black hills, fgmm,or hornady match rounds pretty sure you'll do better.

    Comment

    • #3
      tomd1584
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2008
      • 5895

      just take your time. you might be flinching when you pull the trigger? also work on your breathing. inhale, exhale then pull the trigger.

      Start out at 25 yards. Just go slow, its not a race.

      Comment

      • #4
        Arteel
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2009
        • 2392

        Doesn't look like anything is wrong. Get some bags next time to keep the rifle steady and maybe a scope just to be sure and you should be able to produce some decent groups.

        Comment

        • #5
          mala in se
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2008
          • 619

          those are horrible groups at 50', but it isn't the worse i've seen. is it a used upper? i use the same ammo w/ 1-2 1/2" groups at that range.
          take your time, and aim at the same spot every single time. adjust accordingly, and do it again. i use 3 shot groups to zero in new uppers or builds.

          it's silly not to use a sand bag/block when at the range when zeroing in. don't be afraid to ask another person shooting an AR to try it out too (just make sure his groups are decent). you're part of the black rifle brotherhood now.

          also, ask in the forum. if you're local i'd shoot w/ you as i'm always lookin' for an excuse to shoot.

          good luck.

          Comment

          • #6
            I am 9 years old
            Foul mouthed juvenile twit
            • Jan 2010
            • 28

            Ya I know I flinch most of the time and I figured that's my problem. As for 25 yards , I've been going to a range that doesent offer 25 for rifles so 50 is what I've been shooting. Can my flinching and unstable hands be causing a huge diff in bullet impact? I mean out of 3 rounds at the end I put 2 about 2 inches right about an inch apart and the 3rd after rear sight adjust dead low about 6 in

            Comment

            • #7
              Acorn556
              Senior Member
              • May 2009
              • 2107

              Have you tried using a bench rest? Might eliminate your shaky trigger pull.

              Comment

              • #8
                I am 9 years old
                Foul mouthed juvenile twit
                • Jan 2010
                • 28

                I asked 1 guy who had an AR but not with him and he aimed top right and hit bottom right. Way off. Then I shot at top right and put 2 within a couple inches of eachother and my point of aim. I'm in san jose and I will be taking bags next time

                Comment

                • #9
                  I am 9 years old
                  Foul mouthed juvenile twit
                  • Jan 2010
                  • 28

                  I'm just paranoid really cause I dropped. 1500$ on this gun and I want it to be solid. I'm sure its me and I appreciate all the help! And if anyone wants to shoot in the south bay I'm down!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    gemini1
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 2230

                    Well if its just your 2nd trip, then I doubt you've zeroed your AR. If you are flinching then you definitely need sandbags to steady the rifle.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      I am 9 years old
                      Foul mouthed juvenile twit
                      • Jan 2010
                      • 28

                      Zeroing is a pain. And bieng that I'm not steady would make it even harder I'd say . Adjustimg when I don't need to due to bieng inconsistent

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        aermotor
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        • Apr 2009
                        • 2566

                        Originally posted by i pwn cj
                        im not the best shooter in the world and im shooting sitting down without a gun rest or sandbags to rest the rifle on so im a bit shaky at best. i know im not solid when i pull the trigger , im attributing the accuracy issues to this. is there anything im missing that could be causing my gun to bad or is it just me?
                        Originally posted by i pwn cj
                        I'm just paranoid really cause I dropped. 1500$ on this gun and I want it to be solid. I'm sure its me and I appreciate all the help! And if anyone wants to shoot in the south bay I'm down!
                        It's just you. At least rest the gun on an ammo can or something if you're worried about "accuracy" – which I wouldn't be when you say you're shaky... how could it be anything else? Maybe you just don't understand how little wobble it takes to move a bullet MANY inches off target at even 50 yards.

                        DO NOT try match rounds as someone stated, that's a flipping waste of money in your case right now. Match smatch. I can shoot damn well at 25-100 yards with any generic ammo sans Wolf. Don't waste you money for gods sake, spend time on marksmanship, that will get you further than the most expensive rifle/ammo setup.

                        No matter how expensive you gun is, if you can't shoot, you can't shoot... If you're ever up near Angeles, let me know. Best advice is:

                        1) Shoot off some sort of forward rest, ammo can with a shirt on it is all you need. Shoot at 25 yards to zero then move out. You should zero it so where you are aiming is impacting 1.5"s lower @ 25 yards, this will give you a pretty much point of aim=point of impact at 100 yards.

                        2) Breathing, I usually take one full breath through the mouth and let it out through the mouth, then one though the nose and out the nose, then I hold my breath there and fire. That's what MY body likes, ymmv. Take your time, don't rush the breaths.

                        3) Trigger control, take up the slack your trigger has right to the point where you know it wont fire, once you're ready, finish it off. Be sure to capture the trigger ALL THE WAY when you fire, DO NOT pull it and let go immediately, don't jerk at it, it should have very little left to travel and won't take much. Keep it held back until you are ready for the next shot, release the trigger 1/8" until you hear the subtle click, then breathe/fire again.

                        4) Don't anticipate anything, just be totally relaxed and let then gun do what it does.
                        Last edited by aermotor; 03-11-2010, 6:49 PM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          aplinker
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Feb 2007
                          • 16762

                          at 50yds match ammo is a waste.

                          Even the crappiest ammo will have no issue holding 4MOA (2" at 50yds). Your groups are about 20MOA.

                          Google Map of OLL Dealers

                          List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
                          Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
                          This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Jpach
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2007
                            • 4707

                            Get a bipod and try to stay as still as possible and be aware of any last second movements you make as you shoot. You have a good barrel so I think as long as you are consistently steady and have a consistent trigger pull with consistent point of aim, you should be good. Let us know how you do next time you take it out.
                            PM or Email me if you have questions: Jpach89@gmail.com

                            Check out my LMT .308 AR
                            Originally posted by kotton
                            I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
                            Originally posted by bomb_on_bus
                            Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              aermotor
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 2566

                              Originally posted by Jpach
                              Get a bipod


                              He doesn't really need to spend a dime to practice technique and rest the gun on something imo. It sounds like he needs to start VERY rudimentary, don't add anything else in. Watch some vids on Youtube about marksmanship, search around, read all you can.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1