Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

OLL purchasing info needed

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Redfield
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2009
    • 21

    OLL purchasing info needed

    Ok, I need to know the exact process of buying the parts for an OLL. Do I just send the lower receiver to an FFL dealer once I buy it online? And then the rest of the parts can be sent directly to me right? No test is required such as with handgun purchases right? Also, it is legal for 18 y/olds to purchase OLLs I assume since its not a handgun? Trying to be prepared for possible buy.

    Thanks
  • #2
    tomd1584
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2008
    • 5895

    No test required. make sure the online place has the FFL's info. must be 21 to buy a stripped lower. everything else can be sent directly to your house. Good luck!

    Comment

    • #3
      Redfield
      Junior Member
      • Jul 2009
      • 21

      Originally posted by tomd1584
      No test required. make sure the online place has the FFL's info. must be 21 to buy a stripped lower. everything else can be sent directly to your house. Good luck!
      Why 21? People can purchase rifles at 18 and handguns at 21. Is there a different rule for buying ARs?

      Comment

      • #4
        tomd1584
        Calguns Addict
        • Sep 2008
        • 5895

        if you buy a complete AR, you just need to be 18. soemthing about it not being a rifle, just a receiver. I'm not 100% sure of the exact reasoning, hopefully someone will give you the exact definition.

        TOm

        Comment

        • #5
          boink
          Member
          • Jun 2009
          • 310

          Originally posted by tomd1584
          if you buy a complete AR, you just need to be 18. soemthing about it not being a rifle, just a receiver. I'm not 100% sure of the exact reasoning, hopefully someone will give you the exact definition.

          TOm
          I believe it is because it is possible to build the lower into an AR pistol, and pistols by definition are 21 and over.
          | Sig P226R Navy | Sig P225 Polizei | Sig P220 W.German |
          | Beretta M9 | Beretta 92FS Brig INOX |

          Comment

          • #6
            Redfield
            Junior Member
            • Jul 2009
            • 21

            This state is ridiculous, I can buy a complete AR but not a pistol...

            Comment

            • #7
              ke6guj
              Moderator
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Nov 2003
              • 23725

              Originally posted by Redfield
              Why 21? People can purchase rifles at 18 and handguns at 21. Is there a different rule for buying ARs?
              Originally posted by tomd1584
              if you buy a complete AR, you just need to be 18. soemthing about it not being a rifle, just a receiver. I'm not 100% sure of the exact reasoning, hopefully someone will give you the exact definition.

              TOm
              Originally posted by boink
              I believe it is because it is possible to build the lower into an AR pistol, and pistols by definition are 21 and over.
              It is because federal law requires you to be 21 in order to transfer a firearm of any type other than a rifle or shotgun. For rifles/shotguns, only have to 18. A receiver does not meet the defintion of a rifle/shotgun, then the 21 rule applies.

              Jack



              Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

              No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

              Comment

              • #8
                Redfield
                Junior Member
                • Jul 2009
                • 21

                Originally posted by ke6guj
                It is because federal law requires you to be 21 in order to transfer a firearm of any type other than a rifle or shotgun. For rifles/shotguns, only have to 18. A receiver does not meet the defintion of a rifle/shotgun, then the 21 rule applies.

                http://www.atf.gov/firearms/070709openletter.pdf
                Another dumb california rule. While a stripped receiver is still stripped, its really not a firearm, its a chunk of metal and nothing can be shot from it.

                Comment

                • #9
                  ke6guj
                  Moderator
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Nov 2003
                  • 23725

                  Originally posted by Redfield
                  Another dumb california rule. While a stripped receiver is still stripped, its really not a firearm, its a chunk of metal and nothing can be shot from it.
                  Umm, its not a CA rule that doesn't allow you to buy a stripped receiver at 18-20, it is a federal rule. I posted a link from the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives that goes over it. It is also explained on the federal 4473 form that you fill out when purchasing any firearm.

                  And yes, the stripped receiver is legally the firearm. It is the contolled part.
                  Jack



                  Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

                  No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    5hundo
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2008
                    • 2210

                    Originally posted by Redfield
                    Another dumb california rule. While a stripped receiver is still stripped, its really not a firearm, its a chunk of metal and nothing can be shot from it.
                    That's what happens when people who are completely ignorant on a given topic attempt to regulate it...

                    Similar problems would occur if we depended on blind people to regulate the California Vehicle Code...

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Turbinator
                      Administrator
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 11960

                      Originally posted by Redfield
                      Another dumb california rule. While a stripped receiver is still stripped, its really not a firearm, its a chunk of metal and nothing can be shot from it.
                      No offense intended, but you seem a little new to firearms. Kindly spend some more time reading up, this topic and many more have been covered several times throughout Calguns history.

                      Welcome aboard...!

                      Turby

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Redfield
                        Junior Member
                        • Jul 2009
                        • 21

                        Originally posted by ke6guj
                        Umm, its not a CA rule that doesn't allow you to buy a stripped receiver at 18-20, it is a federal rule. I posted a link from the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives that goes over it. It is also explained on the federal 4473 form that you fill out when purchasing any firearm.

                        And yes, the stripped receiver is legally the firearm. It is the contolled part.
                        oops, didn't read your link, I assumed it was a cali rule since theres just some many of them especially regarding weapons. I know that legally the stripped receiver is the firearm but in reality, its a part of the firearm and completely harmless by itself, unless you throw it at someone i suppose.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Redfield
                          Junior Member
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 21

                          Originally posted by Turbinator
                          No offense intended, but you seem a little new to firearms. Kindly spend some more time reading up, this topic and many more have been covered several times throughout Calguns history.

                          Welcome aboard...!

                          Turby
                          Yes, I only own a handgun and I am young (not as in 13 y/o) and that is why I'm here asking noob questions. I have been spending many hours reading through the threads and various articles but I cant cover it all at once. Thanks for the concern.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1