Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

FAL fixed mag/top loading

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    dfletcher
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Dec 2006
    • 14810

    DSA also sells a "stripper clip" scope mount dust cover. Basically their regular (very sturdy) type with the front end removed.

    Slide 1 {acf_homepage_hero_slider_homepage_hero_slide_title} {acf_homepage_hero_slider_homepage_hero_slide_content} {term_name} Featured products Welcome to DS Arms and web store! D.S. Arms was founded 1987, we are known around the globe as the top innovator and manufacturer of FN FAL 7.62mm battle rifle system. We manufacture the complete FAL system right here in the United States in our own CNC machine […]
    GOA Member & SAF Life Member

    Comment

    • #32
      ElvenSoul
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Apr 2008
      • 17431

      Therr was Calgunner awhile back trying to get a .223 Fal to use stripper clips. Not sure if he was ever got it to work.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #33
        Junkie
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2007
        • 4848

        Originally posted by dfletcher
        DSA also sells a "stripper clip" scope mount dust cover. Basically their regular (very sturdy) type with the front end removed.

        https://www.dsarms.com/p-12956-dsa-f...-hardware.aspx
        Yeah, I'm not looking to make it appear modern.
        Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
        A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?

        Comment

        • #34
          JDay
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Nov 2008
          • 19393

          Originally posted by SloChicken
          California sucks.


          60 days or so and counting.
          You're right behind me. I'm looking at houses next week and will be making an offer on one of them. If everything goes smoothly it should only be about 45 days for me.
          Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

          The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

          Comment

          • #35
            nitroxdiver
            Calguns Addict
            • Aug 2009
            • 6979

            Originally posted by JDay
            You're right behind me. I'm looking at houses next week and will be making an offer on one of them. If everything goes smoothly it should only be about 45 days for me.


            Congrats buddy. It's stressful, make no mistake. You won't think it will be but it's a bit of a pia. But its so so worth it to gtfo, not just for gun stuff. I am SURROUNDED by like minded nice people.


            Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

            Comment

            • #36
              Coolguy101
              Senior Member
              • May 2011
              • 655

              Originally posted by dfletcher
              DSA used to sell a mag release lever with a threaded screw hole through & through. Drop in a spring and a short Allen screw, tighten enough to set best pressure and it worked as a regular release. Remove the spring and use a longer Allen screw and the lever was locked in place. Whether one should instead leave the spring and shorter screw in place, but turn down the screw sufficiently to make the spring go solid and lock the lever is I suppose of the "should I risk it?" type.
              I don't use a spring in mine, just the set screw that is locktited in. I don't want there to ever be any question as to whether it is a fixed magazine or not. I can't afford the legal bills to try to prove I'm correct in my interpretation of the law. Other people can do what they want.

              Comment

              • #37
                MeatAxe
                Junior Member
                • Jul 2016
                • 68

                Originally posted by Coolguy101
                I don't use a spring in mine, just the set screw that is locktited in. I don't want there to ever be any question as to whether it is a fixed magazine or not. I can't afford the legal bills to try to prove I'm correct in my interpretation of the law. Other people can do what they want.

                Using a top-loading FAL with a fixed magazine is an intriguing idea to circumvent CA's idiotic laws. It's similar to using a Vz58 with a fixed mag, except that the Vz design requires removing a pin from the disassembled action, that holds the whole kit and caboodle together. Because of the lack of clearances between the mag and the receiver / ejector block on the FAL, it would be difficult to have to engineer a part as such without drilling into the receiver / ejection block, which I am loathe to do on a valuable weapon.

                From the flow chart: ""Detachable magazine" means any ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action nor use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is considered a tool."

                Is there any such definition of a "fixed magazine" under CA law? One that might specify what actions need to be taken to assemble / disassemble it to a rifle?

                The language defining "detachable magazine" is so ambiguous. Does it mean you have to disassemble the action AND use a tool for a magazine to be "fixed" or is it one or the other?

                I mean, technically,without disassembling the action, you could use a saws all as a "tool" to cut off the fixed magazine and use other "tools" to disassemble an otherwise "fixed" magazine and then assemble a new magazine and call it "detachable." Actually, any magazine could be defined as "detachable" if given the proper "tools" to disassemble (destroy) and then reassemble with unlimited amounts of time and effort.

                These idiotic laws are both nebulous and entirely devoid of reason. All that because a "conspicuous protrusion" of a pistol grip is deemed "evil" by it's looks. The nose of the camel...

                Aw **** it, if I have to go to commiefornia I'm coming armed with a semi auto battle rifle, I guess i'll just have to invest in an M1A with multiple low cap detachable mags and be done with it...for the time being until they change the law again and outlaw M1As.
                Last edited by MeatAxe; 08-29-2017, 11:47 PM.

                Comment

                • #38
                  Coolguy101
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2011
                  • 655

                  Originally posted by MeatAxe
                  Using a top-loading FAL with a fixed magazine is an intriguing idea to circumvent CA's idiotic laws. It's similar to using a Vz58 with a fixed mag, except that the Vz design requires removing a pin from the disassembled action, that holds the whole kit and caboodle together. Because of the lack of clearances between the mag and the receiver / ejector block on the FAL, it would be difficult to have to engineer a part as such without drilling into the receiver / ejection block, which I am loathe to do on a valuable weapon.

                  From the flow chart: ""Detachable magazine" means any ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action nor use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is considered a tool."

                  Is there any such definition of a "fixed magazine" under CA law? One that might specify what actions need to be taken to assemble / disassemble it to a rifle?

                  The language defining "detachable magazine" is so ambiguous. Does it mean you have to disassemble the action AND use a tool for a magazine to be "fixed" or is it one or the other?

                  I mean, technically,without disassembling the action, you could use a saws all as a "tool" to cut off the fixed magazine and use other "tools" to disassemble an otherwise "fixed" magazine and then assemble a new magazine and call it "detachable." Actually, any magazine could be defined as "detachable" if given the proper "tools" to disassemble (destroy) and then reassemble with unlimited amounts of time and effort.

                  These idiotic laws are both nebulous and entirely devoid of reason. All that because a "conspicuous protrusion" of a pistol grip is deemed "evil" by it's looks. The nose of the camel...

                  Aw **** it, if I have to go to commiefornia I'm coming armed with a semi auto battle rifle, I guess i'll just have to invest in an M1A with multiple low cap detachable mags and be done with it...for the time being until they change the law again and outlaw M1As.
                  The Fal is very easy to top load, as the dust cover can easily be replaced or modified to make it easier to top load. In my opinion, it is easy to modify the mag release, and takes just a few minutes work if you have a drill press, tap, and screw. Again, in my opinion, the work required to remove the mag includes disassembling the action as you have to separate the upper and lower, and not to mention take a torch to the red locktite to loosen the screw.

                  If I ever move out of California, simply replace the mag release and dust cover. Nothing permanent is done that can't be relatively easily restored to it's original configuration.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    MeatAxe
                    Junior Member
                    • Jul 2016
                    • 68

                    Originally posted by Coolguy101
                    The Fal is very easy to top load, as the dust cover can easily be replaced or modified to make it easier to top load. In my opinion, it is easy to modify the mag release, and takes just a few minutes work if you have a drill press, tap, and screw. Again, in my opinion, the work required to remove the mag includes disassembling the action as you have to separate the upper and lower, and not to mention take a torch to the red locktite to loosen the screw.

                    If I ever move out of California, simply replace the mag release and dust cover. Nothing permanent is done that can't be relatively easily restored to it's original configuration.
                    OK, if you would, please walk me through the modification. Slotted top covers for stripper clips are readily available from several sources, it's making the fixed magazine legal under the CA code that's got me perplexed

                    I have an early DSA FAL w/ a LMT receiver, so I don't want to be drilling any holes in that. I have no problem drilling and tapping other easily replaceable parts, though.

                    Thanks!

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      ar15barrels
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 57175

                      Originally posted by MeatAxe
                      OK, if you would, please walk me through the modification. Slotted top covers for stripper clips are readily available from several sources, it's making the fixed magazine legal under the CA code that's got me perplexed

                      I have an early DSA FAL w/ a LMT receiver, so I don't want to be drilling any holes in that. I have no problem drilling and tapping other easily replaceable parts, though.
                      The receiver needs two cuts made on it to accept the stripper clip top cover.
                      Without the cuts, the top cover will not allow the receiver and the trigger pack/stock to lock together.
                      You can drill/tap the magazine catch and install a setscrew instead of a spring.
                      The setscrew then gets loctited into the magazine catch to fix the magazine.
                      Randall Rausch

                      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Coolguy101
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2011
                        • 655

                        Remove the mag release. If you don't know how, loosen the screw that holds the mag release and bolt hold open device in place. Just pull the screw out far enough to get the mag release out. You can google it for pictures.

                        Remove the mag release spring. There is a cavity that houses that spring. Put the mag release in a drill press, and drill into that cavity until you go all the way through. You will need a good carbide bit for this.

                        Use a tap to thread the hole, and then insert a set screw into the hole. *I forget what exact size my set screw is, but it is roughly the size the original spring. Just make sure that your tap is the correct size for the screw you use!

                        Put the mag release back into the rifle, and insert your 10 round mag. Dab some red locktite on the degreased set screw, and tighten it until it firmly holds the mag in place.

                        Done.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          MeatAxe
                          Junior Member
                          • Jul 2016
                          • 68

                          Originally posted by Coolguy101
                          Remove the mag release. If you don't know how, loosen the screw that holds the mag release and bolt hold open device in place. Just pull the screw out far enough to get the mag release out. You can google it for pictures.

                          Remove the mag release spring. There is a cavity that houses that spring. Put the mag release in a drill press, and drill into that cavity until you go all the way through. You will need a good carbide bit for this.

                          Use a tap to thread the hole, and then insert a set screw into the hole. *I forget what exact size my set screw is, but it is roughly the size the original spring. Just make sure that your tap is the correct size for the screw you use!

                          Put the mag release back into the rifle, and insert your 10 round mag. Dab some red locktite on the degreased set screw, and tighten it until it firmly holds the mag in place.

                          Done.

                          OK, but does that require the action to be disassembled in order to remove the magazine?

                          I thought that disassembly of the action was one of the requirements defining a "fixed magazine" under CA law...current injunctions notwithstanding, sounds like you could run afoul of the law if removal of the fixed magazine doesn't necessitate disassembly of the action.
                          Last edited by MeatAxe; 09-03-2017, 11:31 PM.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            MeatAxe
                            Junior Member
                            • Jul 2016
                            • 68

                            Originally posted by ar15barrels
                            The receiver needs two cuts made on it to accept the stripper clip top cover.
                            Without the cuts, the top cover will not allow the receiver and the trigger pack/stock to lock together.
                            You can drill/tap the magazine catch and install a setscrew instead of a spring.
                            The setscrew then gets loctited into the magazine catch to fix the magazine.
                            Actually, DSA makes some slotted, top loading dust covers / optic bases that just clamp on to the slots where the stock dust cover slides in.

                            Slide 1 {acf_homepage_hero_slider_homepage_hero_slide_title} {acf_homepage_hero_slider_homepage_hero_slide_content} {term_name} Featured products Welcome to DS Arms and web store! D.S. Arms was founded 1987, we are known around the globe as the top innovator and manufacturer of FN FAL 7.62mm battle rifle system. We manufacture the complete FAL system right here in the United States in our own CNC machine […]

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              bigstick61
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2008
                              • 3211

                              Originally posted by MeatAxe
                              Actually, DSA makes some slotted, top loading dust covers / optic bases that just clamp on to the slots where the stock dust cover slides in.

                              https://www.dsarms.com/p-12956-dsa-f...-hardware.aspx
                              If all you want is the charger guide, they're not cheap and add a lot of weight. Only option for a para, though. I'm using a hiduminium FN charger-guide top cover on mine, but those aren't exactly cheap, either. The Canadian ones DSA sells are the best bet. I used one on my first build. I do like the FN version better, though.

                              Someone really needs to come up with a satisfactory and compliant way to fix the magazine. It needs to avoid welding, drilling, or otherwise modifying the receiver. I haven't decided what to do with mine once July comes. I'll probably remove the gas piston or something. Featureless isn't any more useful than one with the gas system disabled. Very impractical for social use, and my FAL is my go-to rifle. I'd love to be able to keep using it, legally.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                Coolguy101
                                Senior Member
                                • May 2011
                                • 655

                                Originally posted by MeatAxe
                                OK, but does that require the action to be disassembled in order to remove the magazine?

                                I thought that disassembly of the action was one of the requirements defining a "fixed magazine" under CA law...current injunctions notwithstanding, sounds like you could run afoul of the law if removal of the fixed magazine doesn't necessitate disassembly of the action.
                                A: It does require disassembly of the action to remove the magazine. In
                                order to do this modification, you have to separate the upper and lower.
                                B: It would be top loaded, so the magazine would not be removed for
                                loading purposes. You can use stripper clips, or load it by hand.
                                C: By using red loctite to secure the magazine, it won't accidentally become
                                loose due to recoil, cannot be removed without first using a torch or heat
                                gun to break down the adhesive to remove the set screw.
                                D: The mag release is permanently modified, and cannot be used as a
                                "normal" mag release by just re-inserting the spring and converting it to
                                an "assault weapon" again. This is the difference between just using a
                                pin to hold the mag in place. The pin might be ok, but I prefer to err on
                                the side of caution.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1