Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Bullet button vs Featureless

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    CK_32
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Sep 2010
    • 14369

    Originally posted by Click Boom
    The window wrap helps a lot imo
    O-M-G!


    As much as a I hate featureless, that might be going on my LR308!
    For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

    What's Your Caliber??


    My Youtube channel

    Comment

    • #17
      CK_32
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Sep 2010
      • 14369

      Originally posted by drclark
      My issue with featureless is that it is much more difficult to maintain control of the rifle with just your firing hand (like when opening a doorknob with your support hand) unless you have a thordsen, hammerhead or u15 style stock.

      For home defense, I think you are better off with a gun that is naturally "featureless" such as an su16, mini14, Ares scr, etc rather than fumbling with a rifle with "compromised" ergonomics.

      For recreational or hunting purposes, a featureless set up is a matter of preference.

      Regardless, whatever option you go for home defense, train with it in that setup.
      And this is sound advice^
      For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

      What's Your Caliber??


      My Youtube channel

      Comment

      • #18
        BigBamBoo
        Calguns Addict
        • Apr 2008
        • 5215

        For the visually stimulated amongst us...I give you the "BBB BBB" (BigBamBoo's Bad@ss Black Blaster) 9mm featureless AR:

        Bring hay for my horse....wine for my men....and mud for my turtle!

        What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

        "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
        - Sigmund Freud

        Originally posted by ar15barrels
        It makes it bigger and longer.

        Comment

        • #19
          Standard
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2007
          • 3676

          Originally posted by drclark
          My issue with featureless is that it is much more difficult to maintain control of the rifle with just your firing hand (like when opening a doorknob with your support hand) unless you have a thordsen, hammerhead or u15 style stock.

          For home defense, I think you are better off with a gun that is naturally "featureless" such as an su16, mini14, Ares scr, etc rather than fumbling with a rifle with "compromised" ergonomics.

          For recreational or hunting purposes, a featureless set up is a matter of preference.

          Regardless, whatever option you go for home defense, train with it in that setup.
          I've gotta agree with all of this.

          Comment

          • #20
            kuyakwiet
            Junior Member
            • Jan 2014
            • 64

            I converted my SCAR 16S to featureless with a kydex grip wrap and do not regret it at all. I got a lot of criticism from everyone in my group about it. However, once I went out and shot it at the range and did some drills with it, I was surprised how little difference it made, if at all. And the radlock on the scar is not as easy to convert as on the AR. The radlock on the scar means you have to take it off to revert it to out of state use. Going featureless I no longer have to worry about the radlock falling off from comming loose while shooting, from forgetting it when I come back into CA, or loosing the small radlock pieces while out of state.

            Comment

            • #21
              mif_slim
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Apr 2008
              • 10089

              Originally posted by BigBamBoo
              For the visually stimulated amongst us...I give you the "BBB BBB" (BigBamBoo's Bad@ss Black Blaster) 9mm featureless AR:

              What lower is that?! Awesomeness!!
              Originally posted by Gottmituns
              It's not protecting the rights of the 1%, it's IMPOSING new laws because of the 1%.

              Comment

              • #22
                dh223
                Junior Member
                • Feb 2015
                • 5

                I have no doubt the Thordsen is a nice stock. But, I didn't want to spend that type of money (especially with 6 rifles).

                My rifle is pretty light. The Magpul fixed stock is very short. After the grip tape on the Solar Tactical wrap. I feel like I have excellent control of the weapon. In my mind, the grip wrap is a non issue. Maybe with a heavier gun it would be problematic. But, not in this case.

                P.S. I only have 6 AR's because I gave 4 AR's to my son in Boise where they can run free without any of the retarded Kali feature things to worry about.

                Comment

                • #23
                  BigBamBoo
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 5215

                  That is a Quarter Circle 10 Colt pattern lower. Info here: http://www.quartercircle10.com/shop/

                  I started with a DDLES Glock pattern lower (pictured below) as I have a bunch of Glock mags and carry a Glock. The idea of having a carbine that uses the same mags as my pistol was very appealing.

                  But....the last round hold open function never worked 100%. I spent days trying to get it working, but just about the time I thought I had it dialed in, it would fail to work. This is a very common problem with the Glock pattern lower and well documented. Between myself and a buddy, we built 5 Glock lower AR's and EVERY single one of them had problems with the last round hold open.
                  Most of them have by-passed the last round hold open. JP and Loanwolf's Glock lower do not have last round hold open for this reason.

                  So I went to the Colt pattern lower. 100% last round hold open 100% of the time.

                  This is my 3rd 9mm AR and they are just plain fun to shoot. The slow recoil impulse and lack of muzzle blast make them very popular with the women and kids.

                  Last edited by BigBamBoo; 03-03-2015, 9:10 AM.
                  Bring hay for my horse....wine for my men....and mud for my turtle!

                  What do you hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

                  "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
                  - Sigmund Freud

                  Originally posted by ar15barrels
                  It makes it bigger and longer.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    morthrane
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 954

                    Originally posted by drclark
                    My issue with featureless is that it is much more difficult to maintain control of the rifle with just your firing hand (like when opening a doorknob with your support hand) unless you have a thordsen, hammerhead or u15 style stock.
                    Just to play devil's advocate, I don't find it that difficult. Featureless setups don't stop you from cradling the rifle against the inside of your elbow, or counterweighting the stock under your tricep. If it is that difficult... time to put your rifle on a diet or do some curls. It'd be no different than maintaining control of a plain jane shotgun.

                    Also, that's why we have slings.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      DaveFJ80
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 2066

                      Using a kydex grip wrap by itself doesn't feel that great in my hands. Not to mention, it's also very slippery feeling and hard to keep a good grip on my rifle.

                      What I did was lay some painters tape over my grip wrap and trim how I wanted it to look. Then took the tape and put it onto some skateboard tape and cut it out to shape. Used a hairdryer to make sure it stuck on there good, and perfecto. Easily removable with no sticky residue too.

                      Now my rifle feels good in my hand and is very controllable, and I like using my right hand thumb to engage & disengage the ambi safety. If skateboard tape it too rough for your delicate girly hands, then you can always use 3M rubber grip tape instead.


                      Comment

                      • #26
                        SuperSet
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Feb 2007
                        • 9048

                        Grip tape on their kydex wraps is a good idea. I think the one thing the kydex wrap has over dedicated featureless stocks like the Thordsen is you can easily change it once you cross the border.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          geoint
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2014
                          • 4385

                          Originally posted by Jamesaaron61
                          Yeah I don't know what I will do with my 30 rounders. I was thinking of storing them in a storage locker out of state. Won't really use them and for target practice I don't like using 30's because I shoot too much! I just want them somewhat close by if I wwere to ever need them at least they won't be half way across the country!
                          Quartzsite Arizona. Tons of people come down from northern states to spend their winters there so it has tons of storage facilities and its right on the AZ/CA border. If youre moving to northern california, there are probably other small border towns in Nevada that can serve the same purpose.

                          Personally, Id suggest you bring all your guns with you but leave standard capacity mags, spare ammo and a small SHTF supply cache at Quartzsite or at some relatively nearby storage location out of the state.
                          Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

                          I Hate California.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1