Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

bolt action q's

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • berettabattler
    Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 305

    bolt action q's

    hey guys,

    I'm in the market for a bolt action. I had a chance to try out an savage in .223 and it was smooth.. not much recoil.. however though, i been looking at an mossberg mvp and the tikka t3.

    another question.. should I up the ante to an .308 instead of .223?

    my main goal is for long range shooting.. would the .223 be better or .308?

    thanks.
  • #2
    ar15barrels
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 57179

    Originally posted by berettabattler
    my main goal is for long range shooting.. would the .223 be better or .308?
    What do YOU consider "long range"?
    Do you reload?
    What's your budget for the rifle?
    What's your budget for the scope, mounts and accessories?
    Last edited by ar15barrels; 11-03-2014, 11:24 PM.
    Randall Rausch

    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

    Comment

    • #3
      osis32
      Calguns Addict
      • Jul 2009
      • 5912

      I have to commend you Randall. you never seem to get tired trying to help people out. I try but some times the monotony just has me worn out.
      Just a libertarian guy in a Leftist Authoritarian state.

      Comment

      • #4
        jpscoot_21
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2007
        • 1186

        You could shoot 600 yds with .223, and aftermarket parts seem more plentiful for the Savage.

        Comment

        • #5
          vliberatore
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Dec 2011
          • 10055

          Originally posted by jpscoot_21
          You could shoot 600 yds with .223, and aftermarket parts seem more plentiful for the Savage.
          Lolwut?
          Originally posted by fighterpilot562
          Damn it man! We could have got drunk, called a taxi and drop by Kest house with a mega phone.

          Comment

          • #6
            JTROKS
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Nov 2007
            • 13093

            Yes you can shoot a .223 or 5.56 to 600 yards. You may have better luck if your barrel has a fast twist 1-9 to 1-7 depending how heavy you want to shoot.
            The wise man said just find your place
            In the eye of the storm
            Seek the roses along the way
            Just beware of the thorns...
            K. Meine

            Comment

            • #7
              vliberatore
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Dec 2011
              • 10055

              Originally posted by JTROKS
              Yes you can shoot a .223 or 5.56 to 600 yards. You may have better luck if your barrel has a fast twist 1-9 to 1-7 depending how heavy you want to shoot.
              I was referring to the bolded portion.OP mentions a mossberg and Tikka. The person I quoted recommends a savage for its aftermarket support.
              Originally posted by fighterpilot562
              Damn it man! We could have got drunk, called a taxi and drop by Kest house with a mega phone.

              Comment

              • #8
                JTROKS
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Nov 2007
                • 13093

                Gotcha. Although aftermarket parts not as abundant as for Remington it is starting to come up for Savage. Too early in the morning for me didn't catch the bold letters.

                Got to make coffee.

                As fo the OP. The 308 will reach and be more effective at longer range than the 223 but recoil and cost increased.
                Last edited by JTROKS; 11-04-2014, 7:24 AM.
                The wise man said just find your place
                In the eye of the storm
                Seek the roses along the way
                Just beware of the thorns...
                K. Meine

                Comment

                • #9
                  Sutcliffe
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Mar 2003
                  • 6792

                  Savage is very simple to do yourself

                  You won't need to send it off to a smith to do most of what you want for upgrades.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    JTROKS
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Nov 2007
                    • 13093

                    Actually if OP's main goal is to shoot 1000 yards or the occasional 1200 yard Hail Mary he's better off with the 260 Remington or a fast twist 243
                    The wise man said just find your place
                    In the eye of the storm
                    Seek the roses along the way
                    Just beware of the thorns...
                    K. Meine

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      MikeA04
                      Member
                      • Aug 2013
                      • 276

                      If you are worried about recoil start off with a 22 bolt gun to get your fundamentals down.
                      Then get yourself a tikka 308.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        JMP
                        Internet Warrior
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Feb 2012
                        • 17056

                        Originally posted by vliberatore
                        I was referring to the bolded portion.OP mentions a mossberg and Tikka. The person I quoted recommends a savage for its aftermarket support.
                        Savage's cult following has brought a lot of aftermarket products. I don't think I'd drop a bunch of money into a Savage though. I'd just get the barrel free-floating with a cheap stock. The accu-trigger may be enough. The accu-trigger leaves a lot to be desired, but it is high end match grade compared to the Remington XMP.

                        If you are considering .223 vs..308 for "long range", just get the .223 so you can learn with the same ammo as your AR-15. .223 is great to hone your skills before stepping up to a real rifle. You can get away with much less. You can use a lighter barrel, no brake, etc. It's hard to mess up with a .223 at 0-500 yards.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          postal
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2008
                          • 4566

                          Originally posted by JMP
                          Savage's cult following has brought a lot of aftermarket products. I don't think I'd drop a bunch of money into a Savage though. I'd just get the barrel free-floating with a cheap stock. The accu-trigger may be enough. The accu-trigger leaves a lot to be desired, but it is high end match grade compared to the Remington XMP.

                          If you are considering .223 vs..308 for "long range", just get the .223 so you can learn with the same ammo as your AR-15. .223 is great to hone your skills before stepping up to a real rifle. You can get away with much less. You can use a lighter barrel, no brake, etc. It's hard to mess up with a .223 at 0-500 yards.
                          I've been stumbling along with a savage for a LONG time......

                          I agree with your assessment.

                          I want to dump my savage for a rem or custom action.

                          The accutrigger is WAY better than a lot of triggers out there.... but a 700 with a timney drop in is easy and worth it.

                          I say rem or tikka.

                          As to 223 vs 308... as Randall asked... do you reload? How far you want to shoot? How much do you want to spend on ammo?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            postal
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2008
                            • 4566

                            Originally posted by Sutcliffe
                            You won't need to send it off to a smith to do most of what you want for upgrades.
                            This^^^ is why Fred Moreo of sharp shooter supply is so popular on the savage forums right? With a HUGE back log for work? cuz any idiot can 'do it (to) themselves...' (do it to yourselfers)

                            Half of my upgrades on my salvage were done by Randall. I dont have go/no go gauges and barrel nut wrench. Not worth the purchase for as few times I need a rebarrel. I did a LOT of my own shade tree work- like many of my guns.

                            I also run a compensator now- so the barrels need to be threaded and timed. I dont have a metal lathe to do that, but Randall does.

                            Rem hands down.

                            Wanna buy my savage in 6.5 creedmoor? Has bottom metal for AICS mags.... Help me kick start a rem 700 build for a new competition rig... I throw in the scope base for free. (TPS)
                            Last edited by postal; 11-04-2014, 8:22 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Euphoria526
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2012
                              • 3812

                              As an owner of a mossberg mvp, I love it, it's the tits. AND I can use my ar mags on it....
                              Originally posted by Jimi Jah
                              I punch paper only because it is illegal to punch people.
                              Originally posted by elpaisa1
                              I think flatulence is a more serious crime. I think it should be a misdemeanor with a 1000 dollar fine or 6 months of jail. It should be a felony if done near an open flame.

                              Originally posted by Euphoria526
                              I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1