Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Shot ONE really nice group this weekend...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    postal
    Banned
    • Mar 2008
    • 4566

    Originally posted by Happyhappycamper
    Yea that is what dimes are for

    Covering up your flyer with a dime?






    Kidding!!!!! Kidding!!!!!

    Comment

    • #47
      Happyhappycamper
      Member
      • Aug 2012
      • 429

      Originally posted by postal
      Covering up your flyer with a dime?






      Kidding!!!!! Kidding!!!!!
      That is exactly what I did there. 9 rds + the flyer

      Comment

      • #48
        diver160651
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2012
        • 1764

        Originally posted by russ69
        Four shot groups are not statistically significant. Re-confirm with 10 shot groups. That will be a lot closer to real world results.
        OMG


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        D.I.Y. a Target Cam for ELR
        NOTE: images not all working correctly due to limitations on the site

        D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.

        Comment

        • #49
          damndave
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Oct 2008
          • 10858

          hahhahaha, this is funny.

          Comment

          • #50
            postal
            Banned
            • Mar 2008
            • 4566

            Originally posted by Happyhappycamper
            That is exactly what I did there. 9 rds + the flyer
            LOL!!!!!! I said it as a joke.... Didnt know you were serious!

            Another thing to add to my 'bag of tricks!' LOL!
            Last edited by postal; 11-14-2013, 6:16 PM.

            Comment

            • #51
              ExtremeX
              Calguns Addict
              • Sep 2010
              • 7160

              Now every time I see a coin in group shots I am going to suspect a flyer…
              ExtremeX

              Comment

              • #52
                postal
                Banned
                • Mar 2008
                • 4566

                Mitutoyo calipers are large enough to show the group size and hide a flyer too- depending on the location of the flyer.....

                Comment

                • #53
                  Justintoxicated
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 3836

                  I think the quote is dumb too.

                  Shoot for groups and find your load.

                  Measure the velocity of the bullets that group best.

                  Then you can calculate trajectory at different distances. Or take notes on holdover or adjustments when you attempt to shoot different ranges.

                  It only take one shot to zero your scope and it's at that point no harder to hit the bullseye (not including calculating wind etc)

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    thegiff
                    Member
                    • Aug 2008
                    • 363

                    Suddenly all the photos with a dime or other coinage make sense!

                    Whats a "real world result" that I should be shooting 10 round groups for? I don't understand the point of that comment.
                    So Cal Precision Rifle Team, NRA Life, WEGC Precision Bolt Rifle Director, NRL Member, Bolt Action Rifle Groupie, NRA Pistol Distinguished Expert

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      Merc1138
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 19742

                      Originally posted by thegiff
                      Suddenly all the photos with a dime or other coinage make sense!
                      Well of course. You start your 5 shot group, get a flyer with one of the first 4 shots, and it magically becomes an amazing 3 shot group with a coin on it

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        Metal God
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2013
                        • 1839

                        Sorry but I think I worded and put sentences in the wrong order . Lets see if I can clarify .

                        First off I say a group must be from the same string in a certain amount of time . I say this because if ii's not the same string it's not a group . That to me is just common sense . The timed part just has to do with forcing you to shoot A group rather then just picking your best group you shot . Also the fact there has to be a cut off to where your shooting the next group . I've heard guys say If you take one shot per hour in a four hour time period . Thats still a 4 shot group . Yes but not to me .

                        When I said
                        shoot them all in the same string 30sec or less apart . I don't like to heat my barrels up that much so what I do to see how well the riffle shoots . You can do this with any number of shots 1 , 3 , 5 what ever .
                        That was really two different parts that I smashed together

                        It should read :

                        I don't like to heat my barrels up that much so what I do to see how well the riffle shoots . . Shoot your group then place an identical target over the target you just shot then shoot another group . Repeat as many times as you like . You can do this with any number of shots 1 , 3 , 5 what ever . When done remove all the targets but the very first one you shot . That target now represents how you and the rifle really shoot because you shot every bullet though that target . I like to do this with three 4 shot groups . That gives me a 12 shot group and tells me How I really shoot with the rifle .
                        No such thing as a flyer ! For this I'm just glad I was taught and or learned from people that don't lie to them selves . You shot the flyer therefore it's part of your group period . I believe when the shot is going to need to count . You should base your ability to make that shot on how well you shoot including the flyer Not how good you shoot when you take the "flyer" out .

                        You don't rise to the occasion and make the shot, you sink to your lowest level of training and hopefully it is good enough to make the shot.
                        Last edited by Metal God; 11-14-2013, 7:39 PM.
                        Tolerate
                        allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

                        Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

                        I write almost everything in a jovial manner regardless of content . If that's not how you took it please try again

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          postal
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2008
                          • 4566

                          I guess it depends on if you're testing the rifle, or you.... as to that 'flyer'.

                          People that put a lot of rounds down range, know FOR SURE when they pulled the trigger, if it was a good shot, or they screwed it up.

                          The screw up- pulled shot.... 'flyer' should be included to evaluate the shooters skill.

                          However, testing the accuracy of the rifle alone, (or working up ammo) it should be ignored.

                          Your approach also ignores some well accepted logic on testing ammo by using the "round robin" method of optimal charge weight. or "OCW".

                          The test is often done by shooting 1 shot in succession- of varying powder charges, at specific targets for each charge.

                          For example,
                          I'm going to test 308- 175 SMK at 2.810" COAL with varget.
                          5 rounds of each charge.
                          44.3, 44.6, 44.9, 45.2, 45.5, 45.8, 46.1

                          Thats 35 rounds total to shoot, and 5 rounds for each group of 7.

                          There will be 7 targets.
                          1 shot of each charge, at each target. --- meaning, the first 7 shots, will be 1 single shot on EACH target, for 1 shot of each 5 shot group.

                          Repeat 4 more times. Spaced out in enough time that the barrel doesnt get too hot, and the shooter has breaks in between to stay focused.

                          This reduces the errors induced from fatigue, and barrel temp affecting a single group.

                          I already loaded the ammo, and will be slinging this on Sunday after a match to determine a new powder charge to make up for throat wear and loss of velocity.

                          With 5 shot groups for my test, even if I know I pull a shot, I still have 4 shots to judge for data.

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            Metal God
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2013
                            • 1839

                            People that put a lot of rounds down range, know FOR SURE when they pulled the trigger, if it was a good shot, or they screwed it up.

                            The screw up- pulled shot.... 'flyer' should be included to evaluate the shooters skill.

                            However, testing the accuracy of the rifle alone, (or working up ammo) it should be ignored.
                            I agree for the most part . We call that calling your shot . The thing is , The shooter must call the shot corectly . Meaning : when the shooter says oops I flinched or pulled the shot . The shooter must say where the shot hit before looking at the target . If the shooter says I pulled it low and left and the shot was really high left . Was that the shooter , the rifle or the load that had that wrong ? To call your shot the shooter must see where the cross hairs were on the target the moment the rifle fires .( yes I know they were right on the center of the bull or I wouldn't have pulled the trigger ) lol , Thats what I used to think . A lot of people blink when the gun is fired . That makes it almost impossible to call your shot . If the shooter does not remember seeing the muzzle blast . They most likely blinked . I will add it's harder to call your shot at 100yds then it is at 3 or 4 hundred .

                            I've never done the round robin thing . My rifle is almost alway well fouled when I do load development and I never start a sting with my barrel more then 10 degrees over ambient temp . I was told/taught you do the round robin to make sure each group had the exact same barrel conditions . It's a Valid approach and I have nothing negative to say about it .
                            Last edited by Metal God; 11-15-2013, 12:13 PM.
                            Tolerate
                            allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

                            Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

                            I write almost everything in a jovial manner regardless of content . If that's not how you took it please try again

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              BrianRodela
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2010
                              • 607

                              The trick is not to use a coin!!


                              sigpic
                              Genuine MMCS, Firefighter and father of two great kids!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1