Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What exactly is....."Tactical" anyway?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    killshot44
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2009
    • 4072

    Originally posted by SonofWWIIDI
    Got to the bottom of this thread, and realized I have forgotten what the OP originally stated.
    Don't you know? All Bolt-action centerfire threads end like this now.....

    You'd almost think that the grudge-holding, name-dropping, sadly-typical, benchrest-shooting, litigation-dependent guy would realize that his continuing bleating is sad and pathetic and that he should delete Calguns.net from his Bookmarks.


    But no.

    Comment

    • #62
      Merc1138
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Feb 2009
      • 19742

      Originally posted by killshot44
      Don't you know? All Bolt-action centerfire threads end like this now.....

      You'd almost think that the grudge-holding, name-dropping, sadly-typical, benchrest-shooting, litigation-dependent guy would realize that his continuing bleating is sad and pathetic and that he should delete Calguns.net from his Bookmarks.


      But no.
      Wha'? He's like an ambassador for benchrest to get more people interested in it!

      Comment

      • #63
        killshot44
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2009
        • 4072

        Originally posted by Merc1138
        Wha'? He's like an ambassador for benchrest to get more people interested in it!
        The funny part? I run my club's monthly benchrest matches (at USI in Concord) and it's nothing but fun.
        Best example; two friends who shoot big$$$ Rimfires and expect nothing more than being with friends and maybe winning a $2 pin for their shooting hat.

        I've not shot the Benchrest matches at SacValley, only F-Class, but in four years I've had nothing but instructive, competitive yet cooperative fun at every one.


        Like the old saying goes; don't let one bad apple spoil the whole barrel.

        (and yes, in the past that meant plucking the bad apple out of the barrel and feeding it to a pig, but we can't quite do that now,
        can we?)

        Comment

        • #64
          thegiff
          Member
          • Aug 2008
          • 363

          Wow, long post above, TLTR, moving on...

          To me anyway, "tactical" is the mall ninja black outfit SWAT wannabee look.

          Must haves:
          Lots of rails.
          Lots of accessories on rails.
          Lots of molle and molle accessory pouches filled with tools and stuff.
          A separate tool for everything so that there is something to put in all the pouches and hidey holes in all the black tactial fabric gear.
          Dress like a tool.
          Lots of Velcro.
          So Cal Precision Rifle Team, NRA Life, WEGC Precision Bolt Rifle Director, NRL Member, Bolt Action Rifle Groupie, NRA Pistol Distinguished Expert

          Comment

          • #65
            LynnJr
            Calguns Addict
            • Jan 2013
            • 7958

            Originally posted by Pinto
            So you were booted by your own choice? And Vu was correct - booted and no longer a member ... Seems to me you owe him an apology.
            I was never booted at all and VU doesn't know what he is talking about.

            I asked for my match fees back when the match was cancelled and received my membership fees back.

            You must run the same type of matches?

            Last I heard VU was on the CAPRC forum running his mouth about another match and match director in southern,california while ignoring what happens at his new home range.

            Maybe you can ask him what happened to him at the range in two rock? I heard he was asked to leave and never come back.Maybe he will tell us why?
            Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
            Southwest Regional Director
            Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
            www.unlimitedrange.org
            Not a commercial business.
            URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

            Comment

            • #66
              jarhead714
              Calguns Addict
              • Dec 2012
              • 9652

              Originally posted by thegiff
              Wow, long post above, TLTR, moving on...

              To me anyway, "tactical" is the mall ninja black outfit SWAT wannabee look.

              Must haves:
              Lots of rails.
              Lots of accessories on rails.
              Lots of molle and molle accessory pouches filled with tools and stuff.
              A separate tool for everything so that there is something to put in all the pouches and hidey holes in all the black tactial fabric gear.
              Dress like a tool.
              Lots of Velcro.
              All of this but it can be in tan, o.d. green, or any type of camo pattern.

              Comment

              • #67
                Merc1138
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Feb 2009
                • 19742

                Originally posted by LynnJr
                I was never booted at all and VU doesn't know what he is talking about.

                I asked for my match fees back when the match was cancelled and received my membership fees back.

                You must run the same type of matches?

                Last I heard VU was on the CAPRC forum running his mouth about another match and match director in southern,california while ignoring what happens at his new home range.

                Maybe you can ask him what happened to him at the range in two rock? I heard he was asked to leave and never come back.Maybe he will tell us why?
                Maybe you can keep your drama out of a thread that is completely unrelated. No one cared about your story on a half dozen or so other forums that you can be found at, no one cares here either. The simple fact is that there are 3 sides, yours, theirs, and the truth that actually happened. It was years ago, and we're not getting the truth any time soon. You need to move on with your life.

                Comment

                • #68
                  LynnJr
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 7958

                  KillShot
                  85% of the shooters at any match I have attended are never a problem.The last 15% were raised and not brought up and require constant attention.

                  Sacramento held ethical and honest matches until Ed Eckhoff got tired of all the politics and quit.

                  I was asked to take over the monthly matches because I am a hard woking honest guy who doesn't give in to the BS like you see here.I declined because of my professional work load and they got a 500 pound blob who doesn't work to run the monthly matches.

                  He was doing okay at first but as Sacramento is a large facility you always get a few bottom feeders lounging around and the blob was easy pickens.
                  I did all the match reports and got all the prizes for the matches but new trouble was brewing when GC kept telling everyone how he has acquired a Nightforce scope in a drawing.
                  I should have moved on right then.

                  At the 2010 Nationals the Blob was scheduled for stomach surgery on monday do to his enormous size.Only one relay was run on sunday when it started to rain and the blob cancelled the match.

                  If you run nbrsa matches you already this can't be done and that they must carry over to the next day or the match is considered final and binding per there own rules.
                  Naturally the blob wouldn't listen to anyone and ruined the biggest match held each year.

                  Fast forward to 2012 he pulls the same ***** at the same match when he wouldn't listen to Jim O'connel who is paid to score the targets and is in no way affiliated with the nbrsa.
                  VU wasn't the president when this happened he was shooting a Borden 308 and didn't think it cycled right at the time.I know this because I was asked to look at his gun as I own several of them.

                  I wasn't impressed with him in 2009 2010 and I am less impressed now.

                  As to how this thread got turned around look at VU's first post and it is self explanatory.
                  He fits right in with the Tactical crowd and how it is perceived.
                  Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                  Southwest Regional Director
                  Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                  www.unlimitedrange.org
                  Not a commercial business.
                  URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    2zero9
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2012
                    • 887

                    This thread keeps winning
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      SonofWWIIDI
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Nov 2011
                      • 21583

                      Originally posted by killshot44
                      Don't you know? All Bolt-action centerfire threads end like this now.....

                      You'd almost think that the grudge-holding, name-dropping, sadly-typical, benchrest-shooting, litigation-dependent guy would realize that his continuing bleating is sad and pathetic and that he should delete Calguns.net from his Bookmarks.


                      But no.
                      Wait, I went back and looked at the title, when did this become a bolt action center fire thread instead of the thread about the coolness of tactical?!?!?!?

                      Sorry, not sorry.
                      🎺

                      Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        thegiff
                        Member
                        • Aug 2008
                        • 363

                        Every time I see "tactical" I think someone is trying to sell me something based on the good will and respect out there for our armed forces. But on the other hand, on a practical basis, a lot of tactical stuff is good stuff, versatile, rugged, and easy to use. I just dislike the marketing.

                        My personal preference is for desert tan/coyote brown colors, black is just too hot in the desert. So I have my tactical bolt action with a desert tan stock. My tactical backpack, some sort of cadpat, mix of desert colors but no black. Tan leather gloves just in case, kneepads, shemagh and so on. Then, I cheap out and use a bright blue and red ski jacket instead of a tactical military looking jacket in cold weather because I have it and don't see the need for a tactical jacket. I looked a little (maybe a lot) out of place at the last big match I attended, but oh well, I still placed relatively high and my equipment wasn't holding me back.

                        It is both a good and a bad buzzword. You have some expectations about whatever is being discussed based on the word "tactical" and some expectations about the buyer or user or wearer of tactical stuff, but it gets old hearing it all the time.
                        So Cal Precision Rifle Team, NRA Life, WEGC Precision Bolt Rifle Director, NRL Member, Bolt Action Rifle Groupie, NRA Pistol Distinguished Expert

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          Tac driver
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2012
                          • 1077

                          http://americangunfacts.com

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            hambam105
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jan 2013
                            • 7083

                            Judging from the OP's avatar....

                            Tactical shooters have the flames on the back end of their custom Hot Rods, while bench rest shooters have the flames in front. Now that was an easy question. Gee-wizz!

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              Rickmcu
                              Member
                              • Mar 2013
                              • 168

                              Originally posted by LynnJr
                              Your 700 is not tactical unless the stock folds up in several different directions and has huge thumb wheels all over it.

                              In addition you need atleast 8-14 picatinny rails mounted on it.They hold the gps unit the lazors the bi-pod the flashlght the movie camera the toaster a washer and dryer and a bread maker.

                              The two rear most rails are for all the camoflauge make-up and a guide on how to kill the enemy with a paper clip and two drops of Chuck Norris sweat.Unfortunately Chuck Norris has never sweat so that rail is optional.

                              If your scope is mounted without the aid of a tire iron cheater bar and atleast 12 bolts with 7/8-13 threads your gun isn't tactical.The nuts on those bolts must stick out horizontally atleast as wide as the stock but preferably much wider.

                              The muzzle brake must be spelled muzzle break or it can't be used and the entire rifle can be any color as long as the color is black.

                              If the muzzle break has 32 holes in it 30 of them should point straight down so it can kick up the most dirt possible.

                              One of the most important features of a tactical rifle is the bolt handle.If the bolt handle is the size of a coffee cup you can't shoot well and may suffer from what is commonly called Small Sausage Syndrome or triple "S" for short(no pun intended).A tactical bolt knob must be larger than a coffee can.

                              A tactical rifle must have a magazine that hangs down low enough that you are required to dig a fox hole so you can use your 48 inch bi-pod without it touching the ground when fully extended.

                              You are also required to wear appropriate clothing in order to own a tactical rifle.Your camoflauge pants must have 22 pockets and a sword scabbard.Your T-shirt must say Sniper on the front and back both and have the phrase Don't run you'll only die tired on it as well.

                              You cannot own or even know about about tactical rifles past the age of 23 years.
                              You already know more about shooting and reloading than Tony Boyer and your gun with its $18 factory barrel will shoot 1/4 inch groups all day long.Naturally this is at atleast 1,000 yards but most likely much farther and of course off-hand

                              The buttpad on a real tactical rifle is made from tungsten steel spikes because recoil and blood are exciting and don't affect your accuracy.

                              Your first and last name are Operator and you have never had any parents ever.You were assembled.You do your own dental work with a Bowie knife and 58% of your exterior must be covered in tattoos.

                              When you drive to the range your trailer hitch must be 72 inches off the ground for extra clearance even though your rig has never seen dirt.On your back window is a sticker of a little kid urinating on something with a sinister grin.You must also have a dog in the truck weighing atleast 100 pounds.

                              Haha this is probably the greatest reply I've ever seen on calguns!! Excellent!

                              Comment

                              • #75
                                HK Dave
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Oct 2008
                                • 5737

                                Wow... just walked into this gem.

                                How entertaining.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1