Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How to remove " bolt wobble " on Rem 700

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    ERdept
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Apr 2009
    • 4698

    Originally posted by protoolsnerd
    Great suggestions. Yeah, the accuracy of my rifle is top notch. I couldn't be happier .

    But if you don't have that angle JUUUUUUST right your reloads can get a little sloppy . ERDept you know waht i mean. Kinda like maybe a ruger or sako. That fully supported feel during bolt cycling. Once that rem bolt closes it's like a vise .

    Thanks Damon.....i recall their bolts being really good too


    wow, NICE groups.

    The wobble bugged me so much, I did get a Surgeon rifle. But accuracy was limited by me, on both being inconsistent.

    On the way back, you gotta be just right, so it won't bind. I suppose that's just practice and repetition.

    Comment

    • #17
      protoolsnerd
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2010
      • 788

      Awesome thread. And wow some high tech info from 6mmINTL . I'm not sure if i'm qualified to do all that . Prob give randy a call at R&D. He's done almost all of my other work . Anyone in the socal are like to go long range shooting?
      sigpic Aaron " The Gun Nerd "
      NRA Cert. Pistol & Rifle Instructor / RSO
      Instructor , Amorer , Class III enthusiast and part time builder

      Comment

      • #18
        Trakker
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        • Oct 2008
        • 967

        I had a tight bolt from PTG fitted to my Remington 700. It was -0.002 undersized.
        I also ran a diamond stone over the rough edges and it smoothed everything out.
        I touched the flutes and the sharp parts of the receiver.

        Did wonders, then a light coat of oil.

        Comment

        • #19
          ar15barrels
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2006
          • 57179

          3+ year old thread caught me by surprise...
          Randall Rausch

          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

          Comment

          • #20
            Fjold
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Oct 2005
            • 23062

            Originally posted by ar15barrels
            3+ year old thread caught me by surprise...
            Nothing on here surprises me.
            Frank

            One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




            Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

            Comment

            • #21
              LBDamned
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Feb 2011
              • 19040

              Originally posted by ar15barrels
              3+ year old thread caught me by surprise...
              me too... was ready to respond to post #6 with dead link... then realized why
              "Kamala is a radical leftist lunatic" ~ Donald J. Trump

              Comment

              • #22
                LynnJr
                Calguns Addict
                • Jan 2013
                • 7958

                Here are a couple pictures showing my double sleeved bolt and a Pacific Tool 0.704 bolt even if the thread is old.
                Last edited by LynnJr; 03-14-2015, 9:40 PM.
                Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                Southwest Regional Director
                Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                www.unlimitedrange.org
                Not a commercial business.
                URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                Comment

                • #23
                  CK_32
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 14369

                  Originally posted by ar15barrels
                  3+ year old thread caught me by surprise...
                  Well you can't complain they didn't use the search function lol
                  For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                  What's Your Caliber??


                  My Youtube channel

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    6mmintl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2008
                    • 4822

                    Another old trick is to weld small bead on bolt in closed positions where receiver supports front and rear of bolt,and grind on lathe to fit to receiver diameter - Clearance you want. Mostly Mausers for this one.

                    Many ways to get there for different actions/applications

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      ar15barrels
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 57179

                      Originally posted by 6mmintl
                      Another old trick is to weld small bead on bolt in closed positions where receiver supports front and rear of bolt,and grind on lathe to fit to receiver diameter - Clearance you want.
                      I do this in the rear if someone is staying with a factory bolt.
                      Then, I fit the bolt nose pretty snug in the barrel.
                      I believe that the rear is much more crucial to have fit nicely so the bolt does not go ricocheting around inside the receiver while the striker is falling.
                      Randall Rausch

                      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        LynnJr
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 7958

                        6mmintl
                        Another trick is to drill the flats on the underside of the bolt shroud and put in some delrin
                        Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                        Southwest Regional Director
                        Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                        www.unlimitedrange.org
                        Not a commercial business.
                        URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1