Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Savage Kaboom at Angeles

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    kendog4570
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2008
    • 5180

    Using Accurate No 7 instead of Relodr 7 will do this. 23.5 grains in a 7.62X39 will do exactly what you see has happened to the Axis.
    This I KNOW.

    Comment

    • #32
      thegiff
      Member
      • Aug 2008
      • 363

      The brass is there, spread all over the bolt!
      So Cal Precision Rifle Team, NRA Life, WEGC Precision Bolt Rifle Director, NRL Member, Bolt Action Rifle Groupie, NRA Pistol Distinguished Expert

      Comment

      • #33
        Fjold
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Oct 2005
        • 23067

        Savage makes one of the strongest commercial actions, it takes a lot to grenade one like that. A simple case rupture/separation will not do it.

        The only Savage failure that I've seen detonate the front ring of the action similarly was when a guy chambered a 308 cartridge in his 270 Win rifle. The case head fit the bolt and on chambering, the 308 bullet seated against the shoulder/neck of the 270 chamber (the 270 case is 1/2" longer than the 308 case). Upon firing, the .308 bullet swaged down to .277 diameter and actually hit the target about 2 feet low at 100 yards. But, the action failed at the front ring, the stock exploded and the scope took off vertically.
        Last edited by Fjold; 04-25-2023, 5:32 PM.
        Frank

        One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




        Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

        Comment

        • #34
          sigstroker
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2009
          • 19903

          Wow. That's what scares me somewhat about owning 5.56 and .300 Blackout AR's. I think somebody should create a .338 Blackout using the 6.5 Grendel case. It should hopefully get 1000 fps with 270 gr bullets, and be so crappy with supers that nobody would use it that way. That case is so much bigger in diameter than a 5.56 it shouldn't get anywhere near closing the bolt on a 5.56 chamber.

          But not me, I don't wildcat.

          Comment

          • #35
            golfish
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Mar 2013
            • 10127

            Originally posted by tuna quesadilla
            Welp, there's your sign that this guy had no business handloading. Pistol rounds I could see just working up a pet load and then batching them out into bulk storage... but rifle rounds? No. You carefully document and label everything that you've got.

            So, to be clear, I'm not saying that this rifle asploded because the guy couldn't remember what load it was; I'm saying that the fact he couldn't remember what load it was demonstrates that he is an inattentive reloader and that he's bound to make more serious mistakes than just forgetting to write down his load data.

            End of the day: User error. Nothing to see here.
            It could be that the guy was so shook up he just didn't care to remember.
            It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
            Happiness is a warm gun.

            MLC, First 3

            Comment

            • #36
              stormvet
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Mar 2010
              • 12681

              Darn for lack of a better word, that was Savage!
              Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

              Comment

              • #37
                Ki6vsm
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2013
                • 2354

                Originally posted by golfish
                It could be that the guy was so shook up he just didn't care to remember.
                Still though. The fact that he didn't seem to have documented it. Hadn't labeled the data on the container. And if the guy was a new reloader, he should have been starting with workups, and those had darned well better be ID'd thoroughly.

                I know some people who bring their reloads to the range in a ziploc baggie instead of a nice little box. But they still throw in a post-it or scratch sheet with the vital info on it.

                Comment

                • #38
                  JackEllis
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2015
                  • 2731

                  Originally posted by Ki6vsm
                  I know some people who bring their reloads to the range in a ziploc baggie instead of a nice little box. But they still throw in a post-it or scratch sheet with the vital info on it.
                  When I do this it's with test loads. The load data is marked on a slip of paper that goes in the baggie. All of my hand loads are in boxes that have a label on the outside with the date, power and charge, OAL, primer and bullet.

                  I've learned that reloading is pretty safe and it's not terribly difficult, but you do have to pay attention.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Rogerbutthead
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • 3863

                    So, what were the results of taking apart the unfired reloaded rounds?

                    Pretty sure anyone with half a brain won't be firing them.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      beerman
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 5208

                      Back in the 80s I witnessed my brother have a similar kaboom while sighting in anWeatherby MKV. He took it back to Weatherby. Roy W asked if he was shooting reloads and when my brother said yes, Roy told him to pound sand. Rifle and scope were complete loss as was the shooting bench, his glasses. Took a few
                      Stitches to the face. This was a rifle malfunction ( said Roy) which was not real uncommon to the early, German MK Vs. But because it was reloads, Weatherby had a legal out.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1