Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Lightweight Chasis Hunting Rifles

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    BucDan
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2011
    • 4063

    Originally posted by deckhandmike
    Any chrono data on it? Interested.
    Sorry, nope. I'm not that into ballistics. It goes where I aim within 300 yards for deer. Makes me happy enough there. Sorry man.

    Originally posted by middleofnowhere
    Schnees is selling Carbon Six pre-fit barrels for the Cross.
    I know carbon wrapped barrels are gimmicky, but I drank the coolaide
    I'm interested in getting a 308 barrel for it as well. 6.5CM is hard to find off the shelf. 308 is EVERYWHERE. I have a slight regret there, getting 6.5CM instead of 308.

    Comment

    • #17
      trailblazer87
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2012
      • 1214

      Pierce Precision has these packages, just need a smith to put it together.

      Become Ungovernable.

      Comment

      • #18
        b1gdave32
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2012
        • 554

        Springfield waypoint? No magnum calibers though




        Fierce Edge, they have some other models that r lightweight deffinitley pricey

        Last edited by b1gdave32; 12-30-2021, 11:42 PM.

        Comment

        • #19
          stikman33
          Member
          • Aug 2016
          • 157

          I've got a cross and love it in the 6.5 creedmoor, going to get load data on it soon. I've shot factory ammo out of it quite a bit.

          For 6.5 creedmoor info and barrel length, see this article. You loose very little velocity on an 18" barrel compared to longer in the heavier bullet weights.

          Since its introduction by Hornady in 2007, the 6.5 Creedmoor (sometimes shortened to Creed) has established a strong foothold in the US rifle market.  The 6.5 Creedmoor balances the excellent exter…

          Comment

          • #20
            sigstroker
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2009
            • 19859

            Originally posted by b1gdave32
            Neither one of those are lightweight chassis rifles.

            Comment

            • #21
              Motos&Guns
              Member
              • Mar 2018
              • 135

              Tikka T3X. Uses a Sako barrel. Lots of caliber choices including 308 and 6.5. 2-4 pound adjustable trigger. Weighs 6 pounds. Never seen a bad review. Stainless with a fluted barrel version is under $800. In stock at Sportsman's. (see if you can find a 10% off code)

              Tikka T3x Superlite Matte Stainless Bolt Action Rifle - 6.5 Creedmoor - 24.3in - This lightweight rifle is a must for your next hunting trip. The all-black synthetic checkered stock and matte stainless steel fluted barrel provide weather resistance while you’re out in the field. The tack-driving accuracy is sure to impress you, especially considering that this one is chambered in the popular 6.5 Creedmoor caliber which is lightweight, and has a lighter recoil. Fun at the range, one-shot lethal on the hunt, you can’t miss adding this gun to your collection.
              Last edited by Motos&Guns; 12-31-2021, 10:33 AM.

              Comment

              • #22
                Flouncer
                Senior Member
                • May 2010
                • 1309

                Save all that BS money and get a gym subscription. Scout. Hunt. Walk, stalk. Lots of walking. One pound wont save you. Practice waking up at 4 am. Folding stock. LMAO

                Happy New year
                A Nation of Sheep Will Beget a Government of Wolves

                Comment

                • #23
                  sghart
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • 1259

                  Originally posted by Flouncer
                  Save all that BS money and get a gym subscription. Scout. Hunt. Walk, stalk. Lots of walking. One pound wont save you. Practice waking up at 4 am. Folding stock. LMAO

                  Happy New year
                  Flouncer for the win.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    deckhandmike
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jan 2011
                    • 8325

                    Originally posted by Flouncer
                    Save all that BS money and get a gym subscription. Scout. Hunt. Walk, stalk. Lots of walking. One pound wont save you. Practice waking up at 4 am. Folding stock. LMAO

                    Happy New year
                    You should get out more. Guns you hike out the door with and guns you travel with are two different things. A folding stock can save you hundreds in baggage fees and fit in a bush plane better. Actual real world issues. I’d rather have extra space and weight for food and gear.

                    OP actually has a legitimate use for once.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      middleofnowhere
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 579

                      Originally posted by Flouncer
                      Save all that BS money and get a gym subscription. Scout. Hunt. Walk, stalk. Lots of walking. One pound wont save you. Practice waking up at 4 am. Folding stock. LMAO

                      Happy New year
                      Flouncer, I get that and I do all of that. I backpack with heavy loads for fun, hunting and scouting plenty. I know I could be in much better shape and lose a few pounds, constant battle and I live it.



                      Originally posted by Motos&Guns
                      Tikka T3X. Uses a Sako barrel. Lots of caliber choices including 308 and 6.5. 2-4 pound adjustable trigger. Weighs 6 pounds. Never seen a bad review. Stainless with a fluted barrel version is under $800. In stock at Sportsman's. (see if you can find a 10% off code)

                      https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...moor/p/1463077
                      Tikkas are fine rifles and actions. It’s just not my cup of tea. They aren’t made in USA (I know Finland is a great nation, friend and all). My current Ridgeline checks all the boxes of a Tikka for a bit more money. The action isn’t as smooth as a Tikka, but it’s as light and still doesn’t have that folding stock for packability nor the magazine length for the heavier and longer copper bullets I want to load.


                      Originally posted by deckhandmike
                      You should get out more. Guns you hike out the door with and guns you travel with are two different things. A folding stock can save you hundreds in baggage fees and fit in a bush plane better. Actual real world issues. I’d rather have extra space and weight for food and gear.

                      OP actually has a legitimate use for once.
                      You bring up some great points. My wife and I cancelled an Africa trip in 2021 due to the Covid restrictions. One of the debates we were having prior to cancelling is transporting and storage of our rifles. We were looking at removing the actions from the stocks to use a more compact case for transport. Anyone who has drug a Pelican 1750 through an international airport with people looking at you, knows an “uneasy feeling”. Putting that sucker in a rental car and storing it is another whole adventure that is not pleasant. Two rifles in a big hard case and some miscellaneous gear gets to 50# real quick.
                      Last edited by middleofnowhere; 01-01-2022, 9:30 AM.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        sigstroker
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 19859

                        So, what's your reason for not liking the MPR again? My only reason is the 90 degree bolt throw. Other than that it seems pretty wonderful.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          smittty
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Feb 2008
                          • 6264

                          I reject the chassis concept and any rifle with a protruding magazine for a hunting rifle.

                          I walk with my rifle and cradle it where it balances - under the magazine. For that I want a flush mag, and I only need it to hold 1-3 cartridges.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            trailblazer87
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2012
                            • 1214

                            Hunting partner has a Browning X-bolt in 300 Win Mag, 8 twist barrel shooting 214 gr Hammer Hunters into a jagged hole using 69.5 grains IMR 4831 with the bullet seated to an COAL of 3.58". Winchester primers, comes out to 2940 fps. Factory Barnes TTSX come in just under 1 moa.

                            Otherwise my Christensen Arms Mesa is very light in 300 Win Mag but I use 180 gr Nosler Etips at half moa. Factory ammo is right at 1 moa.

                            Both rifles are quite light at around 7 lbs before ammo, we both use the Leupold Mark V 3-15.
                            Become Ungovernable.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              middleofnowhere
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 579

                              Originally posted by sigstroker
                              So, what's your reason for not liking the MPR again? My only reason is the 90 degree bolt throw. Other than that it seems pretty wonderful.
                              I may end up going with an MPR. They check most of the boxes. Barrel twist on the .30 caliber barrel offerings and no 30 Nosler chambering would be my only gripes.


                              Originally posted by smittty
                              I reject the chassis concept and any rifle with a protruding magazine for a hunting rifle.

                              I walk with my rifle and cradle it where it balances - under the magazine. For that I want a flush mag, and I only need it to hold 1-3 cartridges.
                              I completely understand. A lot of guys were giving me a hard time for not putting rails on my rifles for the scope mounts. I like to be able to get my thumb under the scope to better carry the rifle, rail would be in the way. For long backpack hunts with heavy loads, I have come to depend on trekking poles.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                sigstroker
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Jan 2009
                                • 19859

                                Originally posted by middleofnowhere
                                I may end up going with an MPR. They check most of the boxes. Barrel twist on the .30 caliber barrel offerings and no 30 Nosler chambering would be my only gripes.
                                What's wrong with 1-8?

                                IIRC you said you were replacing the barrel anyway to get a .30 Nosler? Are you looking for a faster twist? My understanding is the Nosler cartridges are not designed for long high BC bullets like the Creedmoors.

                                In the traditional stock model Ridgeline, the .30 Nosler has a 1:10 twist, which I guess you don't like. It comes with a sub-moa guarantee anyway. It also has a carbon wrapped barrel, which overall fits what you want even though it doesn't have a chassis. It's also $200 cheaper than an MPR, so maybe the thing to do is use that $200 savings towards a third-party chassis.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1