Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Cheapest 223

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    NoHeavyHitter
    Banned
    • Jul 2011
    • 2876

    It's a Handi.

    I don't know if they make them anymore, but there used to be several configurations - this one being an "ultra-varmint" with the heavy fluted barrel.

    I picked this one up several years ago. I suspect you could find one as single-shot break open .223 rifles can't be much in demand. I bagged this one on sale for $199.

    Comment

    • #32
      k1dude
      I need a LIFE!!
      • May 2009
      • 15926

      Originally posted by Angrysnarf
      Should I expect all single shot 223 rifles to be pricey?
      Single shot break barrels used to be the cheapest rifles you could get. Not anymore. Since most have been discontinued, the prices have skyrocketed. The few that are still being made don't come in .223 other than the Henry. But anything Henry makes sells out quickly these days, so you won't find a good price. Before the KungFlu, you could find brand new Henrys for about $320 to $350, and that was high for a break barrel compared to what Handi rifles and Rossi's sold for. These days Henry break barrels go for about $500.
      Last edited by k1dude; 01-10-2022, 11:09 AM.
      "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

      "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

      Comment

      • #33
        k1dude
        I need a LIFE!!
        • May 2009
        • 15926

        Another option would be to buy a cheap break barrel shotgun from ATI, Hatfield, Yildiz, or Midland and then add a .223 caliber conversion insert. But accuracy won't impress you.
        Last edited by k1dude; 01-10-2022, 11:51 AM.
        "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

        "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

        Comment

        • #34
          plumbum
          Calguns Addict
          • May 2010
          • 5394

          I got my Savage Axis .223 package rifle for $250 after a rebate (before taxes and DROS). Not many single shots still available - cross your fingers that Ruger also got H&R 1871 rights and tooling.
          Originally posted by ysr_racer
          Please don't bring logic and reason into an interwebs discussion

          Comment

          • #35
            Angrysnarf
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2015
            • 2860

            Originally posted by k1dude
            Another option would be to buy a cheap break barrel shotgun from ATI, Hatfield, Yildiz, or Midland and then add a .223 caliber conversion insert. But accuracy won't impress you.

            I have one of those and a cheap Hatfield

            Comment

            • #36
              Angrysnarf
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2015
              • 2860

              Originally posted by plumbum
              I got my Savage Axis .223 package rifle for $250 after a rebate (before taxes and DROS). Not many single shots still available - cross your fingers that Ruger also got H&R 1871 rights and tooling.

              Maybe I should abandon it lol

              Comment

              • #37
                RNE228
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2013
                • 2458

                A little dated but good info



                Guessing you looked at the Marketplace here on CGN.

                Originally posted by Angrysnarf
                Maybe I should abandon it lol

                Comment

                • #38
                  Angrysnarf
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2015
                  • 2860

                  Originally posted by RNE228

                  I did

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    tacticalcity
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Aug 2006
                    • 10929

                    Take a look at the Remington SPS line. They make thin hunting barrel models and thick tactical and varmint models. I would not call them the cheapest, but I do think you get the most bang for the buck. The metal is the same as their POLICE line of rifles. Just with a different finish and cheaper stock. Down the line when and if you are ready to upgrade you can replace the stock with something better and now you have a much higher end rifle. So you can upgrade over time and it is worth it, because the rifle itself is already quality.

                    Remington 700 SPS 223 Varmint


                    Remington 700 SPS 223 Tactical
                    Last edited by tacticalcity; 01-15-2022, 6:44 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      1859sharps
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • 2261

                      Originally posted by plumbum
                      I got my Savage Axis .223 package rifle for $250 after a rebate (before taxes and DROS). Not many single shots still available - cross your fingers that Ruger also got H&R 1871 rights and tooling.
                      They did not, H&R 1871 went to JJE Capital Holdings, LLC/Palmetto State Arms

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Devilock04
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2010
                        • 3906

                        Originally posted by 1859sharps
                        They did not, H&R 1871 went to JJE Capital Holdings, LLC/Palmetto State Arms
                        Loyalty to country, ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, WHEN IT DESERVES IT. - Mark Twain


                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          1859sharps
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2008
                          • 2261

                          Originally posted by 1859sharps
                          They did not, H&R 1871 went to JJE Capital Holdings, LLC/Palmetto State Arms
                          an update -



                          7:35 - "m16a1" semi clone
                          12:09 - m1/m14
                          14:21 - handi rifles <<< thread relevant part

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1