Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Recommend Me a Lever Gen.....

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    drdanno84
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Dec 2005
    • 1418

    Chiappa Mare's leg

    I bought one these a few years back, great quality and fun to shoot, .357 magprodotti_immagini_immagine_581.jpg

    Comment

    • #17
      golfish
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Mar 2013
      • 10124

      Originally posted by sonofeugene
      .

      I'm drawn towards Henry right now and actually considering their 5.56 or .308. Or one in 357/38. Certainly I'd also consider Winchester, Marlin, etc. I'm looking for smoothness of operation, good looks, and reliability. Use would be almost exclusively at the range. Loading must be from the side, except for the 5.56/.308.

      What say you all? And thanks!
      Not much of a choice for .556 and only two for the .308. Lots of info on this forum about lever guns..

      FWIW, I purchased a new Henry Long Ranger in .308 about 5 months ago. I don't have much of a range report on it.

      I have 3x Rossi's and a new Marlin in .357. The Marlin is much nicer then the Rossi's
      Last edited by golfish; 12-31-2020, 11:18 PM.
      It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
      Happiness is a warm gun.

      MLC, First 3

      Comment

      • #18
        pennstater
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2010
        • 4671

        Henry Big Boy steel rifle. The new ones have the side gate. Ultra smooth, very accurate. I have two, one .357/38 spl, the other in .45 Colt. They don't disappoint. Happy New Year.

        MLC

        Comment

        • #19
          rromeo
          Calguns Addict
          • Sep 2009
          • 6981

          I've had a dozen Marlins, and still have a half dozen. Don't buy one. They're awful, especially they older ones. Tell all of your friends they're awful.
          Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

          - from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
          (Revised Eastern Sect Edition)

          Comment

          • #20
            Horsewright
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2019
            • 662

            Seems to me like its an apples/oranges thing comparing the .223/.308 levers to the pistol cartridge levers. They're whole different critters. I have a BLR (top rifle) in .243 (kinda right in between your .223 and .308). Excellent, accurate rifle with a very high quality build. Smooth as glass. I also have the Browning Mod 95 in .30-06 that has been recommended several times in this thread, (bottom rifle):



            Again an excellent, accurate, quality rifle in a powerful round. Not a lot of fun from the bench but had a blast the other day busting clay birds at a 100 yards from the standing position. Both rifles are made by Miroku for Browning.





            If you decide to go the high intensity route either one of these I can highly recommend. I've kinda been kicking around the idea of getting a BLR or a Henry Long Ranger in .223 my own self.

            The pistol cartridge levers are just a blast but as mentioned a different critter than above. Someone had mentioned the Uberti 1873 in .357 and we have one. Just plain beautiful to look at, handle and shoot. Recoil is non existent.





            Also have a JM marked Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt. This is a workman's gun. The machining is not as nice, the polishing is not as nice, the blueing is not as nice the wood is not as nice, the wood to metal fit is not as nice. But the action is smooth and it always goes bang, sending that big ole bullet right where ya pointed it. A great saddle or truck gun, lighter and handier than the 73.







            If you are looking at a hunting rifle look at the top ones. If more of a fun gun, booneying gun, home defense gun, yeah pistol cartridge lever all the way.

            Comment

            • #21
              Oceanbob
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jun 2010
              • 12720

              Originally posted by Jeepergeo
              Browning. Many calibers to choose from and fed via a box magazine making it easy to load and unload.
              This^^^^

              I would love to own a Browning take down like this.

              May the Bridges I burn light the way.

              Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

              Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

              Comment

              • #22
                Cowboy T
                Calguns Addict
                • Mar 2010
                • 5725

                A Ruger 96/44 is a very good choice. The action is slick, and the .44 Special/Magnum is easy to reload. The magazine is the same compact design as the 10/22 uses, has 4 rounds, and is quickly and easily swapped out for a new one.

                For .357/38, Rossi 92's are also good, as are, of course, Winchesters. Haven't tried a Henry, but those who have 'em say they love 'em.
                "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
                F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
                http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
                http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
                http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
                ----------------------------------------------------
                To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

                Comment

                • #23
                  OCEquestrian
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jun 2017
                  • 6905

                  Browning B-92 in .357/38. Rare as hens teeth but worth the hunt and premium you will pay.
                  "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue." ----Sen. Barry Goldwater

                  Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

                  NRA life member
                  SAF life member
                  CRPA member

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    RNE228
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2013
                    • 2458

                    Savage was offered with both depending on cartridge. The later ones had removable magazine.

                    A brief web search does not show if 243/308 was offered in the original internal rotary magazine

                    Have had opportunity to shoot the BLR in 223; that was a fun gun to shoot!

                    Originally posted by bonesurf
                    Browning BLR in 308. Another super nice gun. Just me. The whole magazine fed lever thing is sorta.....?weird? But if you wanna shoot .308, .223 etc, Browning BLR, Henry Long Ranger or Savage 99

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Bladewurk
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 1411

                      Marlin 1894 all the way if you already have a 357/38 and reload
                      (quote)"Glocks blow up, SIGs have a high bore axis, Beretta locking blocks break, Ruger is anti-gun, 1911s are unreliable, and HK hates you. Get over it."

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        sonofeugene
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2013
                        • 4681

                        Geez, you guys are no help. Here's what you all listed so far:

                        older Winchesters
                        older Marlins
                        new Miroku's
                        Henry in .45-70
                        Henry in .357
                        Henry in .44
                        Uberti 1873 competition rifle
                        Apples
                        Winchester 94
                        Henry all weather .357
                        Browning, box fed
                        Marlin
                        Browning 95 in 30-06
                        Winchester 95 in 30-06
                        Savage box in .308
                        Savage box in .243
                        Browning in .223
                        Marlin in 357
                        Marlin in 218 Bee
                        Older Marlin
                        New Winchesters
                        Rossi
                        Browning 95 in 30-06
                        Winchester 95 in 30-06
                        Henry golden boy in .22
                        Henry X in 357
                        Marlin 94 series
                        Taylor/Umberti 73 in 357
                        66 clones in 38 special
                        Henry 45-70
                        Browning BLR in .308
                        Henry Long Ranger
                        Savage 99
                        Winchester 94 saddle ring
                        Chiappa Mare's leg in .357
                        Rossi's x 3
                        Marlin in .357
                        Henry Big Boy in 357/38
                        Henry Big Boy in .45 Colt
                        Browning BLR in .243
                        Browning Mod 95 in .30-06
                        Uberti '73 in .357
                        Marlin '94 in .45 Colt
                        Browning take down
                        Ruben 96/44
                        Rossi '92 in .357/38
                        Browning B-92 in .357/38
                        Savage
                        Browning BLR in .223

                        I think you covered them all so I'm back to square one. I guess I simply have to take the step and get one. I don't reload, at least not now, so that may be a factor.

                        To answer elSquid's questions:

                        Price is not an object and I might even spring for an engraved one.
                        Since 100 yards is the longest range around here, that's it. I'd also shoot at 50 and also the 40 yard tin can range.
                        I think I'd need a .22 to shoot at indoor ranges, at least those in the San Jose area.
                        My eyesight is not bad for nearing 70, though I do have a bit of a floater that's bothering me in my right eye. I can see the front sight, though.
                        Don't need a red dot or scope though who knows.

                        So, again, thanks for all the suggestions. And I now have a bunch more guns to look at.

                        Cheers!
                        Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

                        A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

                        Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Endless
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2010
                          • 1881

                          Originally posted by sonofeugene
                          I'm thinking of scratching an itch and getting a lever gun after all the Covid stuff dies down. So, which brand can you recommend most highly? And what caliber?

                          I'm drawn towards Henry right now and actually considering their 5.56 or .308. Or one in 357/38. Certainly I'd also consider Winchester, Marlin, etc. I'm looking for smoothness of operation, good looks, and reliability. Use would be almost exclusively at the range. Loading must be from the side, except for the 5.56/.308.

                          What say you all? And thanks!
                          Do it right the first time.

                          Marlin 1895 45-70

                          And be done with it.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            RNE228
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2013
                            • 2458

                            For tin can range a 22lr would be great

                            38/357 in rifle works fine for 100 yards. all of the pistol cartridge's should out of a 16" barrel. The JM Marlins are a hoot to shoot.

                            223 would be a fine 100 yard cartridge Fun in the BLR. Sorry, no experience with the Henry.

                            Remember with a lever on the bench you have to move the rifle every time you chamber a round.

                            Originally posted by sonofeugene
                            Geez, you guys are no help.

                            To answer elSquid's questions:

                            Price is not an object and I might even spring for an engraved one.
                            Since 100 yards is the longest range around here, that's it. I'd also shoot at 50 and also the 40 yard tin can range.
                            I think I'd need a .22 to shoot at indoor ranges, at least those in the San Jose area.
                            My eyesight is not bad for nearing 70, though I do have a bit of a floater that's bothering me in my right eye. I can see the front sight, though.
                            Don't need a red dot or scope though who knows.

                            So, again, thanks for all the suggestions. And I now have a bunch more guns to look at.

                            Cheers!

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              RNE228
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2013
                              • 2458

                              Add Winchester 88 in 243 or 308

                              There's lever action shotgun to

                              Originally posted by sonofeugene
                              Geez, you guys are no help. Here's what you all listed so far:

                              Cheers!

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                200Apples
                                -DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
                                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                                • Dec 2011
                                • 7217

                                Originally posted by sonofeugene

                                Geez, you guys are no help. Here's what you all listed so far:

                                [one incredibly comprehensive list of leever-op'd long guns]

                                I think you covered them all so I'm back to square one. I guess I simply have to take the step and get one. I don't reload, at least not now, so that may be a factor.

                                Cheers!

                                If I may, since you mention a 100 yard range, I will suggest a chambering of .357. It is the most fun and useful combination. Very powerful cartridge for it's size and typical bullet weights spanning 125 - 180 grains.

                                One may hunt deer-sized game with it, one may plink to one's heart's content with .38s, other handloads, etc... a .357 Marlin 1894 or Winchester '92 (Browning/Miroku or Rossi) is just about the most fun one can have with their pants on.

                                If I could only have two levers, one would be the .357 1894 Marlin, the other my Marlin 1895GS*. Leave the spitzers to bolt actions unless you find a stainless Browning BLR takedown in .308.


                                *The .45-70 is a cartridge infinitely handloadable from very, very mild to T-Rex wild.
                                .
                                "Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

                                NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1