Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Henry Big Boy Model X - 357 or 44??

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    DueceMcGurk
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2016
    • 884

    Penn,
    In jail or in hand? Nice pickup.

    Comment

    • #17
      DrewN
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2012
      • 1887

      Hopefully, they drop a .41 as well. I load for all 3 anyway. That Buffalo Bore 170 gr JHP is over 1600 lbs of ME from a 16" barrel. And the Speer 210 Gold Dot is 1400+.

      Comment

      • #18
        bsumoba
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2012
        • 4217

        I just DROS'd an X-Lever in 45-70.

        I already have a 38/357 in a Big Boy Case Hardened, 20" version.
        Visit- www.barrelcool.com
        The Original Chamber Flag and Barrel Cooler in 1
        Instagram: barrelcool_

        Comment

        • #19
          Dirtlaw
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Apr 2018
          • 3480

          Originally posted by Harry Ono
          Cheaper 38 cal works in 357 Henry. Makes it easy to match with 357/38 revolver Ruger GP100.

          Good point. If you have a revolver in one of those calibers there is a benefit in staying with the same round.

          Comment

          • #20
            Over It
            Member
            • Jul 2013
            • 401

            Originally posted by FNGGlock
            Thx guys, was thinking about matching it with a revolver later. That will mostly be for fun as I use a 45 ACP and 9mm Glocks for HD & SD mostly. That may make getting a 357 much more practical as a 44 can be a beast in a handgun (especially with shorter barrels).

            Hard to compare ammo prices these days, as everything is crazy at the moment. Got a little 22 takedown for a fun plinker, which will help keep costs down.

            Thanks Cowboy, the 38spl is a nice option if my wife wants to shoot it, I saw a few videos where they use the model X with a suppressor and lower power 38 spl loads where it hardly seems to make any noise. May have to start with a 357 and see if there is a need for the 44, a 158gr soft point 357 should pack a pretty good punch in a long gun.

            Lots of decisions, but maybe the good thing is that I can save a lot of money in the mean time as nothing is available, especially at a reasonable price.
            Haven't had a chance to read the manual on Henry X's, but on other .357 Henry's lever guns, I do remember the manual states that it will only feed 158gr .38 Special so it doesn't automatically shoot any .38 special you can get your hands on.

            Comment

            • #21
              golfish
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Mar 2013
              • 10125

              Originally posted by bsumoba
              I just DROS'd an X-Lever in 45-70.

              I already have a 38/357 in a Big Boy Case Hardened, 20" version.
              nice.


              Please share some pics and range report.
              It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
              Happiness is a warm gun.

              MLC, First 3

              Comment

              • #22
                B2D
                Member
                • Aug 2018
                • 468

                Im planning on getting the .357 version because my Blackhawk will eat the same ammo and I don't plan on going out past 100 yards any time soon.

                As always, shoot what works for you.

                Comment

                • #23
                  200Apples
                  -DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Dec 2011
                  • 7217

                  .357 is more fun in a lever carbine, and the right loads (bullet design and construction + warmer velocities) will take deer-sized game through 75 yards.

                  .44 will be more powerful (when using Magnum loads) and will have more perceived recoil. And, commercial loads cost more than the same in .357

                  If you already handload, you're g2g, especially if you have all the fundamental components. Getting dies should not be a problem right now even though components are scarce.

                  .
                  "Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

                  NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    200Apples
                    -DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Dec 2011
                    • 7217

                    Originally posted by pennstater

                    Mark, I went and bought another 1873 clone. A Taylor.
                    Sorry for slight hi-jack.

                    *ignores Tom*

                    Mark, I went and bought another Mojave desert tool. A trailer.

                    It's tiny and will require much work and will be converting it from cargo trailer stay-tus.




                    Gonna be a lil', tiny camper!

                    yay.


                    /threadjack
                    .
                    "Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

                    NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      larkja
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2013
                      • 1362

                      The Henry X is a light rifle. 44 is going to have a lot of recoil.

                      With the .357, you can shoot both .38 and .357. Much cheaper and .38 is way more fun to shoot. I would go .357 all day.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        golfish
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Mar 2013
                        • 10125

                        Originally posted by 200Apples
                        *ignores Tom*

                        Mark, I went and bought another Mojave desert tool. A trailer.

                        It's tiny and will require much work and will be converting it from cargo trailer stay-tus.




                        Gonna be a lil', tiny camper!

                        yay.


                        /threadjack
                        Now all we need is a quad to run out and setup the steel targets...hint hint
                        It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
                        Happiness is a warm gun.

                        MLC, First 3

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          200Apples
                          -DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Dec 2011
                          • 7217

                          Wish I could afford one. And even then I'd need a bigger trailer all of a sudden.

                          5 X 10 is an old-school truck sleeper on an axle. Not much more room than that.
                          .
                          "Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

                          NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Cowboy T
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Mar 2010
                            • 5725

                            For self-defense, which is one of the OP's criteria, .357M is not only going to be a good deer/hog round out of the rifle, but those same characteristics will make it a very fine self-defense round as well. Imagine a 158gr .357M slug travelling in excess of 1,700 ft/sec. That's going to hit an assailant very hard, almost nipping at the heels of lower-end .30-30 loads. A .44M will hit even harder, of course, about like a full-house .30-30 load within anything resembling self-defense ranges.

                            Either one is exceedingly likely get assailant(s) to change their mind and leave you in peace, which is exactly what we want.
                            "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
                            F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
                            http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
                            http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
                            http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
                            ----------------------------------------------------
                            To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Army GI
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • 4284

                              If you're going to be shooting a lot, 357.

                              The 44 mag can be a bit punishing in a revolver. Since that is what you intend to do, have a rifle and revolver in the same chambering, I recommend 357. Especially if you're going to take friends/family to the range and they don't have a lot of experience with the 44 magnum.

                              If you're not going to shoot a ton, and want the extra power, then 44.
                              Last edited by Army GI; 11-14-2020, 12:34 PM.
                              I purge the wicked. The impious madness must end. I shall be the instrument of Armageddon. It has gotten out of hand...
                              WTB: Winchester /Miroki 1895 .30-06; No1. Mk. III SMLE .303 British; M96 Swedish Mauser 6.5x55mm; M39 Finnish Mosin 7.62x54r; S&W 625 .45 ACP; Glock 17.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                champu
                                CGN Contributor
                                • Nov 2013
                                • 1981

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1