Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

45-70 Safari

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    tanks
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2014
    • 4038

    Actually, that is a "mild load" compared to modern DG cartridges. My .500 caliber shoots a 550 grain solid at 2250 fps. Though on my last Safari I used 500 grainers at 2,370 fps for a couple of elephants. With modern stocks recoil is not that bad as long as one is not shooting prone.
    "... when a man has shot an elephant his life is full"- John Alfred Jordan
    "A set of ivory tusks speaks of a life well lived." - Unknown

    Comment

    • #32
      splithoof
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2015
      • 6028

      Originally posted by tanks
      Actually, that is a "mild load" compared to modern DG cartridges. My .500 caliber shoots a 550 grain solid at 2250 fps. Though on my last Safari I used 500 grainers at 2,370 fps for a couple of elephants. With modern stocks recoil is not that bad as long as one is not shooting prone.
      Last year over at school I had a chance to send some .470 NE rounds from a nice Merkle double rifle down range and did well enough on paper to try some other "cigars" later at my club. The recoil was indeed stout, but didn't seem any appreciable different from a .458 Lott or .416 Rigby that I had occasion to experiment with. As I recall Tanks, you had some beautiful rifles that were basically hand-held artillery, and sent very heavy bullets at respectable speeds.
      I'm curious as to your practice regimen prior to a hunt, or do you undergo practice on a more regular basis, and if so, what field positions do you include in addition to shooting off sticks?
      Lastly, how close were those elephants, and did they go down with a single shot prior to "insurance"?

      Comment

      • #33
        200Apples
        -DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Dec 2011
        • 7217

        tanks! Nice to see you.

        I meant strictly from a 7.5 lb Marlin 1895 GS... one of the guns Vince Lupo used.
        .
        "Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

        NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked

        Comment

        • #34
          sigstroker
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2009
          • 19864

          Originally posted by tanks
          Actually, that is a "mild load" compared to modern DG cartridges. My .500 caliber shoots a 550 grain solid at 2250 fps. Though on my last Safari I used 500 grainers at 2,370 fps for a couple of elephants. With modern stocks recoil is not that bad as long as one is not shooting prone.
          Yup, lightweight stuff compared to a .460 Weatherby, 500 grainers at 2600. I shot one in a Ruger #1 once. Once.

          Comment

          • #35
            golfish
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Mar 2013
            • 10124

            Yeah man, that was a cool article Mac. I know it's mostly a trophy hunt. Do these guys just donate the meat to the locals ? It's probably a huge cost to bring.

            The 45-70 round has been in production for 147 years and still going strong..
            It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
            Happiness is a warm gun.

            MLC, First 3

            Comment

            • #36
              Carcassonne
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2012
              • 4897

              I though the 45-70 was not allowed in South Africa because they dont allow military cartridges and the 45-70 was once a military cartridge. That was one reason the 450 Marlin was popular for African hunts.

              .
              Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

              In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

              I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.

              Comment

              • #37
                Horsewright
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2019
                • 662

                Boys, boys, boys, ya know what us cowboys say: "If you're gonna be a bear, might as well be a grizzly!"

                A .700 H&H built by my friend Butch Searcy of The All American Double Rifle Co.



                Both knives are about 9" in overall length to give ya an idea of the size of the empty case near the end of the tusk. The rifle weighs 25 lbs which should dampen recoil a hair. I was holding it when I asked Butch what it was worth. When he told me I handed it back to him, didn't want to hold it no more! My understanding is there have only been 19 .700s ever made and Butch made 12 of them. He is unique among double rifle makers as he's like 1 of only 2 guys on the planet that can make the whole rifle. Even the best British rifle makers employ a team of specialists to make the rifle. Butch does it all. He considers anything under .500 as a "small" rifle suitable for the jackrabbits there around Boron where he lives. He had invited me to go shooting with him, I have declined said offer as I'm enjoying my golden years and the right shoulder is one part that don't ache already. I checked the H&H website to see what ammo for this behemoth goes for, yeah, 2K a box!

                Anyhoo I've never been to Africa but I have made many knives that have. This is the latest. A father bought this for his daughter for Christmas as he's taking her on a Safari for her 17th birthday this spring:





                Anyhoo I hear back from lots of these customers and the meat does generally go to the locals and is an important source of food for many. The safaris them selves provide many with employment.

                Everything I've ever shot with my .45-70 has been kilt, thats for sure.

                Comment

                • #38
                  Fjold
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 23062

                  Originally posted by tanks
                  Actually, that is a "mild load" compared to modern DG cartridges. My .500 caliber shoots a 550 grain solid at 2250 fps. Though on my last Safari I used 500 grainers at 2,370 fps for a couple of elephants. With modern stocks recoil is not that bad as long as one is not shooting prone.
                  My 45 shoots 450 grain bullet at 2250 fps and I consider it barely adequate.

                  Tanks,

                  How did the last hunt go?
                  Frank

                  One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




                  Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    tanks
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • 4038

                    Originally posted by Fjold
                    My 45 shoots 450 grain bullet at 2250 fps and I consider it barely adequate.

                    Tanks,

                    How did the last hunt go?
                    If you mean the one I was asking you for loads for a .375 H&H, that is coming up in August. Leopard, Buffalo, Kudu, Zebra, Waterbuck, Spotted Hyena and a variety of bait animals on the menu for the 17 days of hunting.
                    "... when a man has shot an elephant his life is full"- John Alfred Jordan
                    "A set of ivory tusks speaks of a life well lived." - Unknown

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      tanks
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • 4038

                      Originally posted by splithoof
                      ...
                      I'm curious as to your practice regimen prior to a hunt, or do you undergo practice on a more regular basis, and if so, what field positions do you include in addition to shooting off sticks?
                      Lastly, how close were those elephants, and did they go down with a single shot prior to "insurance"?
                      Practice regimen is weekly dry fire. Few hundred rounds a month with my .22LR Anschutz in a variety of positions.

                      Some months prior to the hunt I start practicing with my .308 and add 5-10 rounds a session from sticks on the big bores.

                      All sighting in is done with a Caldwell Lead sled.

                      On a new big bore I go visit a friend that has his private indoor 50 yard range at his place and we work out loads and usually burn through a few hundred rounds over the course of a weekend.

                      The elephants were from 15 to 50 meters. One shot brought them down.
                      "... when a man has shot an elephant his life is full"- John Alfred Jordan
                      "A set of ivory tusks speaks of a life well lived." - Unknown

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        W.R.Buchanan
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • 3391

                        Originally posted by tanks
                        Practice regimen is weekly dry fire. Few hundred rounds a month with my .22LR Anschutz in a variety of positions.

                        Some months prior to the hunt I start practicing with my .308 and add 5-10 rounds a session from sticks on the big bores.

                        All sighting in is done with a Caldwell Lead sled.

                        On a new big bore I go visit a friend that has his private indoor 50 yard range at his place and we work out loads and usually burn through a few hundred rounds over the course of a weekend.

                        The elephants were from 15 to 50 meters. One shot brought them down.
                        This is exactly what I was talking about. This guy actually had shot enough to know his gun and what it would do.

                        A good lesson for anyone thinking of going to the Continent.

                        Randy
                        Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
                        Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
                        Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
                        Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

                        It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
                        www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          RNE228
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2013
                          • 2458

                          This true no matter where you hunt.

                          I got a Savage 99 some years back; had 6 rounds thru it back around 1960. The owner "sighted" the scope with two rounds. Then missed four shots on deer various trips hunting. And... thought it was the rifle accuracy.

                          Unfortunately a lot of people do that...

                          Originally posted by W.R.Buchanan
                          This is exactly what I was talking about. This guy actually had shot enough to know his gun and what it would do.

                          A good lesson for anyone thinking of going to the Continent.

                          Randy

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1