Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ruger No. 1 owners?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • threeperreaper
    Member
    • Jan 2017
    • 146

    Ruger No. 1 owners?

    Are you able to get 1 MOA or better?
  • #2
    Sir Toast
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 3140

    Probably my most wanted rifle that I've never owned. I like the stock all the way to the muzzle and single shot and action. Great rifle. I'm envious.

    Comment

    • #3
      pennstater
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2010
      • 4671

      Have one in .30-'06. No. 1B Std. Have a Leupold VX-2 3-9 scope.
      I've used it on deer and elk. Most certainly MOA with Hornady 180 Interlock and H4350. These are superb rifles. Mine is from 1990. Ruger barrel[I believe].

      Comment

      • #4
        MongooseV8
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2010
        • 4426

        They are nice rifles but accuracy is not going to be the same as a modern bolt action. Some of them shoot under 1 moa but most are closer to 2-3 moa. Still plenty accurate to shoot a game animal if you can get close enough. Mine is a 7mm Mag.

        Comment

        • #5
          Ramsh00ter
          Member
          CGN Contributor
          • Oct 2018
          • 147

          There was a point in time that I had six in the safe.

          375 H&H
          338 Gibbs (my favorite)
          300 Win Mag
          270 Win
          6mm Rem
          220 Swift

          Only one left is the Gibbs.

          I love them, but found myself wanting something else and they were becoming safe queens.

          They will shoot very well if you work up loads and tune them a little. I've actually shoot sub 1/2" groups with 225 grain 338 TTS slugs. My 338 mag won't do that. But I must confess, there is a lot work put into the Gibbs.

          Don't go into one thinking 3/8" groups, can be done with certain rounds, but not the norm.

          If you are looking for a reliable hunting rifle with allot of cool factor, can't go wrong.

          All of mine were early rifles before Ruger started making their own barrels. Not fond of the hammered forged barrels they use now, so look for an older one.

          JMHO
          Randy
          "It is better to go Hunting and think about God, than to go to church and think about Hunting"

          "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot shoot. The courage to shoot the things I can and the wisdom to dope the wind and make the shot."[/I]

          Comment

          • #6
            dfletcher
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Dec 2006
            • 14811

            Originally posted by threeperreaper
            Are you able to get 1 MOA or better?
            I have one in 375 H&H, another in 458 WM and lastly in 220 Swift. All are used for punching paper. The 375 up to 100 yds, the 458 generally 50 yds and the 220 Swift out to 350 yds. The 375 has a 2 to 7X and the 458 a 1 to 4X with German No4 reticle. The 375 and 458 are accurate enough. I reload and use hard cast 350 grain 45/70 loads out to 100 yds and generally get about 1.5" groups.

            The 220 Swift is a varmint version and as is to be expected I had to fiddle with it to get good groups. The forend is entirely free floated, from the barrel and the receiver. That got me 1" groups @ 100 yds. Prior to that I had some stringing and 2" groups.

            The No1 is notorious for being finicky and the Ruger Forum is loaded with all sorts of fixes from the simple Hicks accurizer to freefloating.

            I also have a No3 in 223 that shoots terrific. Haven't really kept track of group size but like my Remington 788 it's lots of fun to shoot and pretty much anything tonic can sized gets hit all day long out to 200 yds.
            GOA Member & SAF Life Member

            Comment

            • #7
              M1NM
              Calguns Addict
              • Oct 2011
              • 7966

              I have ended up with one of each 1A 7X57, 1B 7mm Rem Mag, 1H 458 Win Mag, 1S 300 Win Mag, 1V .223 and an RSI 30-06. All will shoot 2". I can cover a 5 shot group from the 1V with a quarter. Shop for an earlier one with a red buttpad. The wood is nicer. Also earlier ones had 3 screw triggers allowing a lot of adjustment. There is a book on the No1 by Clayton that is a must read. Check the area between the receiver and wood for any corrosion. In 72 or 74 Ruger used some wood that had been salt dried and it ruins the gun.
              In the past few years Ruger has made some in odball calibers for one of their distributors. It was an effort to keep Bill Rugers halo gun from dying. They were plagued with 2x4 quality wood and complaints of workmanship.
              Last edited by M1NM; 01-09-2019, 10:25 PM.

              Comment

              • #8
                TMB 1
                Calguns Addict
                • Dec 2012
                • 7153

                Have a 45-70 No3 with open sights, it is soda can accurate to hundred yards. Kicks like a mule with Ruger only loads LOL, but really fun to shoot with trapdoor safe loads.
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  Gryff
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • May 2006
                  • 12693

                  I inherited my Dad's #1 in .30-06. I know he had it at least since the early 1980s.

                  Nice gun. I've shot it once, but I didn't measure the groups.
                  My friends and family disavow all knowledge of my existence, let alone my opinions.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    sigstroker
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 19897

                    A friend of mine had one in .458 Winchester that he had rechambered to .460 Weatherby, which is insanely powerful. After shooting it I felt like I lost a fight.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      FishnHunt
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • 1112

                      Inherited my dads 300 win mag. 1B with Leupold 4-12 on it.
                      She’s a beauty and a shooter from what I remember when he got it 20 years ago.
                      But it’s a safe queen.
                      Bolt action much more practical for hunting.
                      Thinking of developing a load for it. Maybe 200 or 210 grain pills for long range target so it can get used
                      Last edited by FishnHunt; 01-10-2019, 6:54 AM.
                      All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Fjold
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 23065

                        Red Pad No. 1 in 270 Win with a 3-9X Leupold VX3

                        Edit: I've taken two antelope with it.



                        It shoots like this:
                        Last edited by Fjold; 01-12-2019, 9:53 PM.
                        Frank

                        One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




                        Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Ramsh00ter
                          Member
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Oct 2018
                          • 147

                          338 Gibbs No. 1

                          This is my 338 Gibbs, Octagon Barrel.

                          I love this rifle, the forearm is fully floated.

                          Forming cases is a bear, the shoulder is moved out approx .100" from the 338/06. Start out with a 35 Whelen case, neck up to 375, then back to 35 for a false shoulder, then to 338 false shoulder. Then run it through the 338 Gibbs die just enough so the case will allow the falling block to close tightly.

                          The photo shows another 338/06 improved we played with, 338 Rice. The shoulder has not been moved out, still at the standard 06 lenght.

                          The Gibbs will throw a 225 grain Barnes about 25-50 fps slower than a 338 Mag without the recoil. Very pleasant to shoot. Does not do well with the 250 or heavier slugs, not enough case.

                          I formed about a hundred Remington Nickle brass for it, so think I am set for life, lol.
                          Attached Files
                          "It is better to go Hunting and think about God, than to go to church and think about Hunting"

                          "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot shoot. The courage to shoot the things I can and the wisdom to dope the wind and make the shot."[/I]

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            condor
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 1102

                            Got a #1 in 7x57 and love it. Don't want another... No room at the inn... :-)
                            WITHOUT THE 2nd THERE WON'T BE A 1st...]

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Phalanx20mm
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2016
                              • 624

                              I have a No. 1 V in 25-06 with a 4.5-14 Leupold Vari-X III. It is my favorite rifle. Very accurate, sub MOA with reloads.

                              I shot a friends No. 1 in 375 H&H and it was fun to shoot.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1