Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Looking to get into bolt action. Suggestions?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    RNE228
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2013
    • 2458

    Isn't the twist on most 223 bolt rifle geared towards Varmints and original military loads(40-55gr bullets)?

    With my older Rem700V 308, it has always easily shot sub-moa with good ammo or handloads(with bullets for the barrel twist). But shoot a few mil-spec round through it and the groups open up a lot.

    Feed them junk, and the groups will be junk. 223, 308, does not matter.

    Originally posted by LynnJr
    The reason most factory 223's don't shoot better than reported is alot of shooters use the cheapest ammunition they can buy.
    Once you get past 55 grains in bullet weight you would be better served with a 6mm cartridge. The guys using the heavier bullet weights are only doing it because they are limited to a particular gun by finances or rules of the competition.

    Comment

    • #47
      jrpowell3
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2013
      • 1066

      Originally posted by RNE228
      Isn't the twist on most 223 bolt rifle geared towards Varmints and original military loads(40-55gr bullets)?

      With my older Rem700V 308, it has always easily shot sub-moa with good ammo or handloads(with bullets for the barrel twist). But shoot a few mil-spec round through it and the groups open up a lot.

      Feed them junk, and the groups will be junk. 223, 308, does not matter.
      Too true, I learned this the hard way with my 700 in .308

      Comment

      • #48
        garyngwind
        Member
        • May 2010
        • 363

        i got my feet wet with a Rem 783 in 223, literally around 350 after sales tax and DROS and Rem rebate from Turner's of all places. It comes with a 3-9x 40mm glass which is plenty good at 100 yards.
        I just got myself a Ruger American Predator in another caliber, and it's stock left a lot to be desired when compared to the Rem 783. The next budget rifle with scope combo in that price range would be the Savage Axis II.
        I read also good things about the Mossberg MVP too, the best part of it is that it uses AR mags, which you probably already have and if not will eventually get

        Comment

        • #49
          boyguan
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2016
          • 751



          Savage axis 2 with a weaver scope for 399. 308 or 223

          When is a heavy barrel start becoming noticeable. 1 shot a minute or 1 every 30 seconds?

          Comment

          • #50
            TMB 1
            Calguns Addict
            • Dec 2012
            • 7153

            Howa 1500 Hogue Gameking .223 Remington bolt-action rifle with a 22-inch blued barrel and 3.5-10x44mm illuminated scope.
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #51
              FishnHunt
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2015
              • 1112

              Originally posted by LynnJr
              Actually that was my point.
              In a 223 55 grains is your limit.
              If you want to shoot bullets over 55 grains get a 6mm.
              The only reason to use heavier bullets is because of financial or rules limitations.
              A 6BR 6PPC 6Dasher 243 244 6-47 6/250 6/284 6mm-06 will all run circles around the 223 with bullets over 55 grains.
              People are always trying to get an all in one gun and while the approach is nice the compromises are heavy.
              55 grain limit? So why so many 62, or 69/70 grain bullets?
              That's like saying to keep 308 to a 150 grain limit.
              All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.

              Comment

              • #52
                ExtremeX
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2010
                • 7160

                Originally posted by FishnHunt
                55 grain limit? So why so many 62, or 69/70 grain bullets?
                That's like saying to keep 308 to a 150 grain limit.
                I think that discussion was specific to a 223 with a 1:12 twist...

                You can shoot something heavier but you are going to want at least a 1:9 or faster to get better results.
                ExtremeX

                Comment

                • #53
                  RNE228
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2013
                  • 2458

                  For all the new rifles out there, I would check out the used racks too. An older Rem700V or Ruger 77V would make a nice shooter. Might even find one with a decent scope already mounted.

                  Or do something different from the run of the mill 223, and get a 22-250, 222, or 220 Swift. Or 219 Zipper, .220 Rocket, 221 Fireball
                  Or a lever action 218 Bee. Or a 22 Hornet.

                  I had opportunity to shoot a lever action 218 Bee a while back; that was fun to shoot.

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    Drivedabizness
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 2610

                    Originally posted by boyguan
                    http://m.big5sportinggoods.com/mobil...ncharset=UTF-8

                    Savage axis 2 with a weaver scope for 399. 308 or 223

                    When is a heavy barrel start becoming noticeable. 1 shot a minute or 1 every 30 seconds?
                    I got the gun/sale you mention above but in 6.5 Creedmoor.

                    Shoots like a dream ...stock trigger is not target quality but darn nice once I adjusted it.
                    Proud CGN Contributor
                    USMC Pistol Team Alumni - Distinguished Pistol Shot
                    Owner of multiple Constitutionally protected tools

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      Keyser-Soze
                      Junior Member
                      • Mar 2017
                      • 12

                      I have the HGK60208 .223 Howa Legacy 1500 Gameking and it's fun but you might will get bored with it pretty quickly - but I guess that's the point of getting it as a budget "starter." I've had no problems with it and barely did their break-in per the instructions. I don't have an AR but I like to take it out on ".223 days" with some friends as we all swap at the range and I get to play with their AR's and they get to play with the bolt gun in the same caliber.

                      The scope is decent enough for out to 200 yds.

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        sigstroker
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 19876

                        Originally posted by ExtremeX
                        I think that discussion was specific to a 223 with a 1:12 twist...

                        You can shoot something heavier but you are going to want at least a 1:9 or faster to get better results.
                        And that's why the Remington 700 ADL is less than optimal. It has a 1 in 12 twist. I recently got a Savage Axis II with a 1 in 9 twist for $350 ($300 after the rebate) including a crappy Weaver scope that supposedly retails for $100. It's not worth $50, but probably ok for 100 yards. If you plan on shooting farther than that, get one without the scope and pick out your own scope.

                        If a heavy barrel is really a concern the Axis is also comes with a heavy barrel. You'll just have to find one and order it because most are hunting weight barrels. The barrel is completely free-floated so maybe it's not such a big deal if it's not a heavy barrel.

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          ar15barrels
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 57179

                          Originally posted by sigstroker
                          If a heavy barrel is really a concern the Axis is also comes with a heavy barrel.
                          The barrel is completely free-floated so maybe it's not such a big deal if it's not a heavy barrel.
                          It's only a concern where you want tight groups.
                          If you don't mind your shots wandering after the first 2 shots, skinny barrels work fine.
                          Randall Rausch

                          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            FishnHunt
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2015
                            • 1112

                            Originally posted by ar15barrels
                            It's only a concern where you want tight groups.
                            If you don't mind your shots wandering after the first 2 shots, skinny barrels work fine.
                            obviously you never shot a tikka.
                            I can shoot a box of 30/06 with out a hick up.
                            All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              Air
                              Senior Member
                              • May 2005
                              • 1640

                              I have a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .223, great little rifle...but as Randall mentioned, you probably aren't going to see that much difference in accuracy between an AR if using factory 55 grain range fodder.

                              Realistically, you need to handload to achieve the full potential of the rifle.

                              Mine is stupid accurate with 60 Grain V-Max and a starting load of IMR 4895 or 4198. It's so 'accurate', it's boring. Groups fall apart with 68 or 69 grain Match bullets or 52 grainers. But it LOVES the 60 grainers.
                              Last edited by Air; 05-31-2017, 5:52 PM.

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                NoHeavyHitter
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011
                                • 2876

                                Originally posted by boyguan
                                I'm looking for a starter rifle that is cheap and decent out of the box.
                                That's what I did - I wanted to know if I could even shoot well enough to make a sub-MOA worth spending big money. I started out with a Savage 10FP that has an excellent barrel and trigger in a crappy stock. I upgraded the stock, added some decent glass and found that it will shoot sub-MOA groups as long as I'm doing my part.

                                My success with the inexpensive Savage gave me the confidence to go ahead and drop the cash on a Rem 700 custom-clone. It will help if you are already reloading and knowledgeable on load development.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1