Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Howa Big 5 special

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • canative
    Senior Member
    • May 2010
    • 1009

    Howa Big 5 special

    Don't know if this has been discussed. This Big 5 special on the Howa Whitetail .308 Bolt-Action Rifle Package for $639, is this a good deal? Overall is this a good entry level for hunting? Never heard of the scope it comes with. Pic is attached.
    Attached Files
  • #2
    ChuckDizzle
    Banned
    • Dec 2013
    • 4398

    I think the scope is junk, but I checked out the rifle on the rack and liked it a lot. I think it is a good deal.

    Comment

    • #3
      Subotai
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jun 2010
      • 11289

      I kinda like the scope, but I'm not a scope guy. I think it falls in the category of "good enough".
      RKBA Clock: soap box, ballot box, jury box, cartridge box (Say When!)
      Free Vespuchia!

      Comment

      • #4
        Need More Ammo
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2013
        • 538

        Scope isn't great at all, rifle itself is not a bad choice for hunting.

        Was this JUST for hunting? If so, there may be some better options for the price.

        Big 5 just carries some entry-level rifles for slightly above average prices.

        Comment

        • #5
          Timbob55
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2009
          • 1046

          Howa has a reputation for making a very good rifle. The scope? meh
          Tim Harris
          CWO3 USCG (ret)

          "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
          Gen. Douglas MacArthur


          Requiro Pax Sed Praeparo Nam Bellum

          Comment

          • #6
            BennyAdeline
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2016
            • 1426

            I bought this package for $460 with only 40 rounds down the barrel.

            Rifle is top notch.

            I scrapped the scope and put on a SWFA 10x. Original scope was fine enough but I like the SWFA stuff. I kept the bipod because it was surprisingly nice.

            Tackdriver!

            Comment

            • #7
              Bainter1212
              Calguns Addict
              • Feb 2013
              • 5936

              I have a Weatherby made by Howa, it is worth every penny.

              I can't speak to that scope.....probably junk though.

              Comment

              • #8
                pdq_wizzard
                Veteran Member
                • May 2008
                • 3813

                one other thing to think about, a lot of states have or had a limit on the number of rounds your rifle can have when you are hunting. I know WY had a limit of 5 rounds..
                Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for Clunkers" program?
                A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.

                Originally posted by M. Sage
                More what? More crazy?
                You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.

                Comment

                • #9
                  lewdogg21
                  Cattle Thieves Pro Staff
                  • May 2009
                  • 10369

                  As a hunter my $.02 is that 10 round mag will be a pita as it's going to poke you in the back/side the entire time the rifle is slung over your back. Plus you will never need 10 rounds for hunting big game. A 5 round internal magazine is sufficient.

                  I'm not big bipod for deer hunting guy as the chances of finding a rest with only a 6-9" riser needed to get on target isn't likely unless you hunt from a permanent box blind.

                  Howa's are good rifles but I don't see what the scope name is so I can't comment. Go buy a regular howa/weatherby vanguard if you like the fit of that brand of rifle and put a Leupold VX-1 or VX-2 on it with some warne or other high quality (note, you don't need $100 or $200 rings on a hunting rifle) and you are set for life. Primary Arms has the VX-1's on sale right now for $169 plus ship with a discount code.

                  My two go to deer rifles are a Vanguard Series 2 in 257 Weatherby and a tika t3 light in 270 Winchester.
                  Originally posted by jmonte35
                  Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
                  .

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Garandimal
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2011
                    • 2145

                    Don't think you can beat the MOSSBERG Patriot/Vortex Combo for ~ $400.

                    Very good rifle, and a very decent scope.





                    GR


                    (I think, therefore I am armed.)


                    -- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      3006mv
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 1979

                      Iron sights would be nice
                      "when I hear 'meat is murder' (sic) I think murder is delicious" - Stephen Colbert interview with Morrisey 09.10.12

                      I plead the 2nd.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        7008gun
                        Member
                        • Feb 2012
                        • 335

                        Most states only allow 3 rounds for hunting

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Sutcliffe
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Mar 2003
                          • 6792

                          I usually avoid package deals

                          A mediocre scope and mounts affixed to a top notch rifle has always bugged me.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Divernhunter
                            Calguns Addict
                            • May 2010
                            • 8753

                            There is no round limit in Ca for hunting with a rifle.
                            That said a 10 round mag is a waste of time and will just get in the way as stated above. Also if you take more than about 5 shots at an animal you probably should stop and go figure out what is wrong with the rifle or shooter. That is if you are the rare lucky one to get more than 1-2 shots at an animal
                            A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                            NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                            SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Swampcrip
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2013
                              • 1093

                              Howas are excellent rifles. If its the same nico stirling scope that came on mine theb i would say that its a "meh good enough" scope.

                              Howas have been under rated for too long. I think you will be very happy with it.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1