Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Muzzle brake - is it worth it?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wrangler John
    replied
    Nowadays I have them installed on everything centerfire (well maybe not .204 Ruger or .223 Remington) same as my old friend. In my case I had a big old spinal cord tumor removed from my neck, so recoil isn't fun. In my friend's case, he developed detached retinas so if he gets hammered by recoil his vision goes all snow globe on him from floaters. Recoil and muzzle blast concussion are both accumulative injuries, after a day of testing silhouette pistols I would develop a headache from the constant slap of muzzle blast (it would knock gravel off the firing line roof, and occasionally pop a acoustic tile off the ceiling). Recoil too will add up, and the thrust on your brain isn't all that healthy, along with a bruised shoulder or arm telling you the limit was passed.

    Now as to muzzle brakes, I had a Vais muzzle brake installed at the time of manufacture on a new .308 Winchester barrel I ordered and it makes quite a difference - almost pleasant over a 50 round test. Then there was the recent Brux Barrel made up for a Savage, I had Sharp Shooter Supply install one of their brakes on a 6mm BR Norma barrel. Same with Pac-Nor Barrels, I have them add one with a barrel order, either their own manufacture or a Vais I send along. Then there is the Cooper Phoenix Rifle in 6.5x284, with a 26" barrel. That thing recoils enough to smack me with the scope - which drives it into the bridge of my spectacles and they both play havoc on my nose. So, I tried something a bit different, and sent the barreled action off to Mag-na-port International and had their Mag-na-brake installed.



    This little gizmo was ordered in Varmint Style, with exhaust ports covering 220 degrees so the brake doesn't kick up dust when shooting prone (or blow my small bag of Cheetos off the bench). It really made a huge difference, calming down the recoil and keeping the scope away from my face. Mag-na-port also offers EDM porting of rifle barrels that is less expensive, and has a good reputation for reducing recoil.

    They all work about the same, some adding an ugly factor appropriate to a Tiger Tank that increases testosterone production, while others are sleek and streamlined, barely noticeable. But whatever you do remember to wear earplugs under muffs at the range and earplugs alone when in the field. If the recoil doesn't get you the muzzle blast will, and between the two you will learn that Costco sells a good selection of hearing aids.

    Leave a comment:


  • jarhead714
    replied
    Originally posted by calibrator
    If you hang around with Machine Gunners long enough, you will see a Select fire M14 sooner or later. They are truly out-of-control for effective use on full auto. However the SEI "Good Iron" brake tames that completely. I own 2, and can attest. This vid shows several interesting things, as well as the effectiveness of the Good Iron brake.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGiJKRzBG74
    Downside to that is Ron Smith gets your money.

    Leave a comment:


  • edgerly779
    replied
    I put one on my 300 mag bolt gun and it reduced recoil significantly.

    Leave a comment:


  • EndoDef
    replied
    I only run a break on my 300/338 because they are magnum calibers.
    Everything else I just run straight barrel, 308/6.5 creedmore recoil is very easy to tame. Muzzle breaks are just so loud lol

    Leave a comment:


  • Kingair001
    replied
    Originally posted by desert dog
    Yep, the louder they are, they better they are working.
    X 2 !

    Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • desert dog
    replied
    Originally posted by FourT6and2
    But the other day I shot a buddy's rifle in 260 Rem with a different brake and it was definitely more effective at reducing recoil. But it was way way way louder. You could feel it in your teeth.
    Yep, the louder they are, they better they are working.

    Leave a comment:


  • desert dog
    replied
    For your recreational target rifle, a muzzle break is a great addition. Like others have posted, I highly recommend the Little Bastard. It is very loud, but keeps you on your hits out to long distances. I have one on my latest AR-10 build, and it works great. Really keeps the bipod planted to the bench.

    Leave a comment:


  • calibrator
    replied
    If you hang around with Machine Gunners long enough, you will see a Select fire M14 sooner or later. They are truly out-of-control for effective use on full auto. However the SEI "Good Iron" brake tames that completely. I own 2, and can attest. This vid shows several interesting things, as well as the effectiveness of the Good Iron brake.

    Leave a comment:


  • FourT6and2
    replied
    Yeah, I have a brake on my 6.5 Creedmoor. But not to reduce shoulder pain. It's so I can stay on target easier, spot impacts at distance, and get better follow up shots on the clock during competition. The brake my smith went with (I just let him decide) is the Kampfeld Customs side-port. Seems to do the trick.

    But the other day I shot a buddy's rifle in 260 Rem with a different brake and it was definitely more effective at reducing recoil. But it was way way way louder. You could feel it in your teeth.

    Leave a comment:


  • LynnJr
    replied
    Originally posted by Bushwack44
    Any recommendations which 'bastard' I should get?

    Also, while I was thinking of buying the Savage 12 in 308, any reason not to put the brake on my Rem 700 in 270 and buy ammo (and a better scope) with the money saved?

    Edit: My quick search for a brake shows none available for a 270. There goes that idea.
    The Gen Ii little bastard muzzlebrake is available in 270 and 308 if you have a threaded barrel already.
    They also sell a gunsmith brake for those having there gunsmith do the install which comes with a 1/4 inch hole that gets bored out to whatever caliber you have.
    If your barrel isn't already threaded send the gun to Billy Goat Machine who posts here as Skkeeter and he can install a Harrell's muzzlebrake for you.

    Leave a comment:


  • ar15barrels
    replied
    Originally posted by Bull Elk
    In my opinion, if you need a muzzle break to tame felt recoil, you likely are shooting more gun than you should.


    Most people putting muzzle brakes on bolt guns are doing it to reduce muzzle jump so they can spot impacts.
    Reduction of recoil to the shoulder is a side benefit.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bull Elk
    replied
    In my opinion, if you need a muzzle break to tame felt recoil, you likely are shooting more gun than you should.

    Leave a comment:


  • Fjold
    replied
    Originally posted by FourT6and2
    Didn't the Precision Rifle Blog do a fairly objective test of like 100 different brakes? They used machines that measure impulse and energy and force and whatnot.
    You can measure the force and the speed of the recoil but people react to it differently so there is no one brake that works best for everyone.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sunday
    replied
    A 16 inch 308 is improper. I hate recoil that is brutal but I get to shoot a 338 Lapua with a brake and once you realize the concussion is no where as bad as the recoil with out the brake all is good.
    Last edited by Sunday; 07-06-2016, 9:26 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Catch
    replied
    The concussion from a braked 16" 308 was like having my own personal flash bang. It was soft shooting for the arm, but jarring still.

    I enjoy a 22" target crown w/ limb saver now.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1