Any recommendations which 'bastard' I should get?
Also, while I was thinking of buying the Savage 12 in 308, any reason not to put the brake on my Rem 700 in 270 and buy ammo (and a better scope) with the money saved?
Edit: My quick search for a brake shows none available for a 270. There goes that idea.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Muzzle brake - is it worth it?
Collapse
X
-
-
-
Didn't the Precision Rifle Blog do a fairly objective test of like 100 different brakes? They used machines that measure impulse and energy and force and whatnot.Leave a comment:
-
There are hundreds of different muzzle brake designs and there's no objective way of measuring their efficiency. Felt recoil varies from person to person so it's almost impossible to compare.Leave a comment:
-
Add one... Works well out of my 30.06 and 223 long range. Plus looks cool. Ha!Leave a comment:
-
I added one to a lightweight 308 bolt action. For me and my rifle, it was worth it. Reduced recoil, but increased volume. Accuracy went up because I wasn't flinching after the first few shots.Leave a comment:
-
I find the the 308 recoil much more tolerable than a 270. The recoil impulse is slower and for whatever reason it doesn't bother me as much. That being said if you can shoot it first and then decide it would be better than just doing it. Some muzzle brakes are more effective than others as well. the only drawback to a brake for me is increased shooter noise, also if you shoot with friends or at the range from a line it can be irritating for those in your immediate vicinity.
I had a 260 with a brake but it was also a heavy gun but I would of guessed a decrease of about 30-40% I could watch hits at 100yds. I was shooting a 140 grain bullet at 2850fps. Nothing special about the brake, I can't remember who made it but it was one with 360* of holes which made it a little dusty when prone. I had a muscle brake on a 338 but never wanted to try it without. Shooting 300 grainers at about 2800-2900 was enough to make me sell it and go back to smaller calibers.
Most manufacturers websites offer decreased recoil amounts, but I imagine you would feel a greater reduction in your 270 recoil in comparison to a 308.Last edited by jfk742; 07-06-2016, 5:53 PM.Leave a comment:
-
I have a 20" R700 LTR in 308
I am getting it rebarreled and I am adding a MB
Why? Because even when I'm anchored down on the rifle I still can't follow through with my shotLeave a comment:
-
Muzzle brake - is it worth it?
Thinking about getting a Savage 12 in 308 for recreational target shooting at the range (http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12VLPDBM). Owning a Rem 700 in 270, love the rifle but don't like the recoil. I've added a Limbsaver pad which helps. Nevertheless...
Back to the Savage, I assume adding a muzzle brake would help with the 308's recoil. But how do I determine/calculate how much less recoil there would be? With a brake, can I expect the 308 to shoot like a 243 or just expect possibly 10% less recoil? Also, how do I determine which muzzle brake is best? I'd like to go with a 308 because of ammo availability (already own a 243 and don't want 6.5 Creedmoor).Tags: None
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,777
Posts: 25,151,574
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,815
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 21970 users online. 122 members and 21848 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Leave a comment: