Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Any DTA shooters out there?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    hj_S14
    Calgunner
    CGN Contributor
    • Jun 2013
    • 1288

    I have both AI AXMC and DT SRS . I like the SRS much better not only just because of the bullpup design but also SRSS can use both long & short action. For AI , if you have short action AXMC then you can only shoot short action caliber.
    If you have long action AXMC then you can shoot short action caliber too but you'll have to get the adapter for the mag... that's something I'm still waiting from AI

    Originally posted by waveslayer
    but is the AI a bullpup?... that's the unique feature and lure for some. AI is great and nice rifle, but the DTA is a compact powerhouse. like a midget on steroids

    Comment

    • #17
      benjamac
      Member
      • Aug 2013
      • 377

      Originally posted by waveslayer
      good question, the platform isn't for everyone, I love it. one range bag and I have 3 different guns. you can get barrels for less, 1000 or so. if the caliber uses the same bolt face. there areason several barrel makes for the DTA, SAC TS customs, John beanland, Sin city Precision, etc.. even Proof Research.

      it's fun to be able to change it up with the same gun, plus having such a compact rifle with a nice 1lbs trigger . makes me happy
      This is good to know- I know it's kind of pricey up front, but totally within the average for a rifle of that caliber. And fancy barrels are expensive no matter how you cut it, but if i can get a new barrel for between $750 and $1000 predictably, it is probably worth it to me to get one...

      Maybe next year...
      Don't be $h!tty.

      Comment

      • #18
        waveslayer
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2012
        • 1728

        Originally posted by benjamac
        This is good to know- I know it's kind of pricey up front, but totally within the average for a rifle of that caliber. And fancy barrels are expensive no matter how you cut it, but if i can get a new barrel for between $750 and $1000 predictably, it is probably worth it to me to get one...

        Maybe next year...
        Pull the trigger, buy once, cry once. best day was when I just bought it and now all smiles! it's a big expense but I have never regretted it, of course I have had it for years when my wife asked about it... [emoji6]

        Comment

        • #19
          Sir Toast
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2012
          • 3140

          Originally posted by vintagearms
          There are a few barrel manufacturers that make DTA barrels but if I wanted a switch barreled rifle I'd look at AI.
          AI can't change bolt faces. With an AI, you can't use the same chasis to shoot .308 and 338 Lapua Mag. You can shoot any caliber from .223 Remington to .338 Lapua with a single DTA chasis system. (But AI makes a great product if you want to shoot 260 Remington, .308 and 6.5, etc.)
          Last edited by Sir Toast; 11-11-2015, 6:02 PM.

          Comment

          • #20
            benjamac
            Member
            • Aug 2013
            • 377

            Originally posted by vintagearms
            There are a few barrel manufacturers that make DTA barrels but if I wanted a switch barreled rifle I'd look at AI.
            Ya, it's not the switch barrel/ caliber feature that gets me- its the bullpup.

            I love a bullpup, and a long-range rifle with a small OAL? YES PLEASE.
            Don't be $h!tty.

            Comment

            • #21
              Sir Toast
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2012
              • 3140

              Originally posted by Hairball
              Ok....your wrong
              The HTI chassis alone is 5+k before you even get a barrel and then each barrel kit will run you about 2.5k msrp

              I tried one once at a range and did not like the feel. I can switch barrels faster than any of them, I just grab another rifle
              One of the reasons I went DTA/DTI was because you only have to buy one great scope for all your calibers. If you have several rifles, you need mutiple scopes or you have to swap them out.

              Comment

              • #22
                Sir Toast
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2012
                • 3140




                I'll have both please.

                Comment

                • #23
                  waveslayer
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • 1728

                  adding the OSS makes this thing sexy! can't wait.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    benjamac
                    Member
                    • Aug 2013
                    • 377

                    Originally posted by Sir Toast



                    I'll have both please.
                    whoa, what the hell is THAT?!?!?!?!

                    ya, i hear the jokes, not the GIRL, the RIFLE.
                    Don't be $h!tty.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      waveslayer
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2012
                      • 1728

                      Originally posted by benjamac
                      whoa, what the hell is THAT?!?!?!?!

                      ya, i hear the jokes, not the GIRL, the RIFLE.
                      Son. meet your step mom. no. it's the much anticipated MDR.

                      semiautomatic multi caliber beast! move over everyone this thing is the shiz

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        benjamac
                        Member
                        • Aug 2013
                        • 377

                        Need that.
                        Don't be $h!tty.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          brando
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2006
                          • 3694

                          Bullpup ergonomics aren't for everyone and there's no rhyme or reason for the like/dislike. That's why it's best to get behind one before you actually buy one. The switch barrel approach has one huge advantage: one scope, many rifles. Like I said, I've got seven conversions at this point and to build those out as individual rifles with comparable scopes would likely be so much more expensive. It's also great because essentially you get multiple rifles with the same ergonomics and feel.

                          The one slightly tricky aspect is scope offsets between barrels. They're all repeatable but you still have to consider the offsets when switching barrels. All of mine are within a mil in either direction, so it's not a huge POI shift but it's generally enough that you have to make not of each. Initially I had my turrets set for my 26" .338LM barrel and when I got the short .308WIN, the offset was only 1 mil up so I just compensated via reticle. But as I got more and more barrels I had to start logging the offsets and just take them into account when I switched barrels.

                          Now that I use Field Firing Solutions I don't even think about the offsets because they can be input into the barrel profiles and seemless added to the computed solution.
                          --Brando

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            brando
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2006
                            • 3694

                            Originally posted by waveslayer
                            I hear good things about the .510 whisper, I wanted to try that out.


                            It's a fun cartridge, especially with a suppressor, but making brass is a pain without a lathe. I made an album a while back explaining the process...



                            Over in New Zealand I shot 647gr bullets used in .50BMG ball ammo. Even at 1050fps, it hit steel at 100m with the same force as a full power .308WIN load but was seriously quiet. The main problem was the drop, like all subsonics, is significant but with such a large mass going the same speed as say a subsonic .308 the larger .50cal bullet carries the distance better. Now that I'm back in the States I decided to shoot it a bit faster without the suppressor - there's no point in going subsonic. I also switched to Lehigh 650gr solids because most of the cheap pulled .50BMG bullets are out of dimensional spec.

                            Is it practical? Not really, unless you hunt pigs
                            --Brando

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              waveslayer
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2012
                              • 1728

                              Originally posted by brando


                              It's a fun cartridge, especially with a suppressor, but making brass is a pain without a lathe. I made an album a while back explaining the process...



                              Over in New Zealand I shot 647gr bullets used in .50BMG ball ammo. Even at 1050fps, it hit steel at 100m with the same force as a full power .308WIN load but was seriously quiet. The main problem was the drop, like all subsonics, is significant but with such a large mass going the same speed as say a subsonic .308 the larger .50cal bullet carries the distance better. Now that I'm back in the States I decided to shoot it a bit faster without the suppressor - there's no point in going subsonic. I also switched to Lehigh 650gr solids because most of the cheap pulled .50BMG bullets are out of dimensional spec.

                              Is it practical? Not really, unless you hunt pigs
                              just beautiful. I love NZ also, one of the best places I have hunted

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                brando
                                Veteran Member
                                • Feb 2006
                                • 3694

                                Yeah, especially the South Island. I've got Permanent Residency now, so I hope to retire there some day once I kill this bull**** cancer.
                                --Brando

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1