Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Problem with M&P Shield 9

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wilafur
    Member
    • Dec 2009
    • 467

    Problem with M&P Shield 9

    Went shooting today with buddies and came home to clean my Shield. The recoil spring assembly is sticking out about 1/2" and I am unable to lock the slide back nor manipulate the takedown lever.

    Any idea what is going on and how I can field strip the handgun now so that I can see what happened internally?

    Please see picture below:

    Last edited by wilafur; 02-09-2015, 11:11 AM.
  • #2
    ElDub1950
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2012
    • 5688

    tagged

    Comment

    • #3
      KrisDSA
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2014
      • 2850

      Did you unlock the safety?
      WildLeaks.org -
      Former Professional Strangler and Shooting Champ

      Comment

      • #4
        alks207
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2008
        • 1727

        Does the guide rod move freely? Are you able to take it down by pulling the trigger with mag in?

        Comment

        • #5
          SkyHawk
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Sep 2012
          • 23531

          Grab the exposed end of the recoil spring - are you able to pull on it? If so you may be able to manipulate it (blind) back into the correct position against the barrel.

          Did you rotate the yellow lever down like in this video:

          Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

          Comment

          • #6
            vintagearms
            Calguns Addict
            • Jan 2009
            • 6841

            From the magwell, push down the yellow lever. You should now be able to pull back the slide and finish disassembling the pistol.

            Comment

            • #7
              SocomM4
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2010
              • 2187

              CA model?
              Originally posted by TeddyBallgame
              maybe I'm wrong, but, if a $50.00 investment can help me a bit, i'll just have to go a day without the hookers and blow to cover it
              Originally posted by ir0nclash86
              I would wipe it off for the simple fact of not wanting to get sprayed in the face with it during the first few rounds.
              Originally posted by Ride Madone
              It does not matter.An AR is the very best and safest weapon to use for home defence.

              Comment

              • #8
                FUBAR
                Senior Member
                • May 2010
                • 2453

                Most likely the guide rod moved a little to one side possibly catching on the slide. Try pulling the slide back a little and rotate the guide rod then release the slide. Hopefully, that will reseat the guide rod correctly. It might take several attempts. Good Luck.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Legasat
                  Intergalactic Member
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 4151

                  I've had this happen. The rod is not seated correctly against the barrel. Mine was not pointing straight ahead, it was pointing off to the side. I grabbed the rod and with a pulling and twisting motion, popped it back into place. If you can't do it with your fingers, put some masking tape on the jaws of a pair of pliers, and use those to do it....carefully. Not too hard to do.

                  Now everything was normal. Good luck!
                  ..

                  .........STGC(SW)


                  SAF Life Member

                  sigpic
                  NRA Benefactor

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    wilafur
                    Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 467

                    Thanks fubar and legasat.

                    The guide was indeed misaligned and a few pull and twists popped the guide back in place. The misalignment cause extra tension so it was basically impossible to rack the slide all the way back and also locked out the takedown lever.

                    Thanks for all the help CG'ers!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      FUBAR
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2010
                      • 2453

                      When you field strip, take a look at the recoil spring assembly. If the spring looks uneven, kind of lumpy, then the spring is twisted up a bit. Rotate the spring around until it looks straight. This should prevent further issues like this one.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        dvs762
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2007
                        • 1790

                        sounds like a design flaw to me...
                        07 FFL Farwest Photography
                        408 217 9148

                        https://farwestffl.com/

                        https://www.facebook.com/FarwestFFL/

                        https://www.instagram.com/farwest_ffl/

                        https://www.yelp.com/biz/farwest-pho...hy-santa-clara

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          xrik
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Nov 2013
                          • 281

                          Happened to me once too. I had to work the slide to finally remove it. Good luck.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            CK_32
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Sep 2010
                            • 14369

                            Wtf lol
                            For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                            What's Your Caliber??


                            My Youtube channel

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ColdDeadHands1
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 3391

                              I have 3 different M&P's and have never had this problem. So, is something broken on your gun or did you install the recoil spring assembly incorrectly? Honest question OP... I'd like to know what you think happened.


                              "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1