Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Custom 1911 or not

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Firefight
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 569

    Guns that start out as SSE are still allowed.

    Comment

    • #17
      cannon
      In Memoriam
      • Aug 2008
      • 8589

      As others have said (rightly) get to know the 1911 before you step up.

      On the other hand If that Wilson makes you quiver every time you look at it. Sell some stuff. Save your nickels and just buy it as anything else won't satisfy you and will be money wasted.

      After many years of collecting and shooting Colt 1911's of various flavors I backed into a Armand Swenson custom Commander.

      Anyone who tells you a full boat custom by a master is no better than brand X. Is full of hooey.
      ^^ Said by some lunatic on the internet

      Comment

      • #18
        Sure Shot 45
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Dec 2009
        • 1218

        My Ed Brown SF is pretty nice... My NHC Falcon & Wilson CQB (updated off roster black model) are OMG EXCELLENT! I love those two guns! How much better can it get? That's the $4K-$7K question.. I would get a Wilson or NCH, my .02 cents.

        Comment

        • #19
          Firefight
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2013
          • 569

          Originally posted by Firefight
          This is my dream wilson...


          I've owned two 1911's and honestly do not know a lot as many do here. I couldn't begin to compare but I do know that fit and finish and feel is what I'll end up with after investing in a 1911 builder like Will. All steel parts made in America, under cut guard and checkering on the front strap. One piece magwell ext. and a lo profile safety. Recessed slide stop in the frame. Smoothed edges and serrations on the top of the slide, checkered front strap, rear slide. There will be more details but from the example above I have a good direction to work toward.
          I'm really crazy for this wilson in the link but my question is what is it really worth in the forums opinion? $3.2k is a pretty good chunk, for me at least...

          Comment

          • #20
            Firefight
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 569

            Originally posted by jpm804
            - Like other's have mentioned, what is your budget you want to work with? Without this you could be at this excercise for awhile ...

            - List out all the options you want in this build and finalize these requirments as best you can? Any good 1911 pistolsmith should be able to do all those options you requested above.

            -any reason it has to be a caspian frame? ( did you want the one piece doubles stack frame or did you want just a simple single stack frame).

            - I've mentioned before in your other thread , why not pick out a good base 1911 and have a pistolsmith build it up for you?

            What you want is not completely impossible or hard to get , it's more a question of how much you are willing to spend and finding someone who can build it for that price ....
            I wanted a caspian because I wanted a one brand build, for no good reason other than it just seems right to me. My budget is around $3k and a single stack frame because I prefer a thin profile, not sure I can maintain that in any other configuration. I also don't think it serves me well to buy a complete starter to only strip it down and only use a few parts at best. I could be wrong on all of my opinions but I'm here to learn...

            Comment

            • #21
              GtRacerH
              Member
              • Sep 2011
              • 171

              Just go balls out and get yourself a SV Infinity Sight tracker.

              Comment

              • #22
                JackRydden224
                Calguns Addict
                • Aug 2011
                • 7229

                Originally posted by Firefight
                I wanted a caspian because I wanted a one brand build, for no good reason other than it just seems right to me. My budget is around $3k and a single stack frame because I prefer a thin profile, not sure I can maintain that in any other configuration. I also don't think it serves me well to buy a complete starter to only strip it down and only use a few parts at best. I could be wrong on all of my opinions but I'm here to learn...
                If you got $3,000 to spend then go with that Wilson you want. If you don't get it the gun will also be in the back of your mind.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Firefight
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 569

                  Originally posted by GtRacerH
                  Just go balls out and get yourself a SV Infinity Sight tracker.
                  Does anyone know what this guy is talking about

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    JackRydden224
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Aug 2011
                    • 7229

                    Originally posted by Firefight
                    Does anyone know what this guy is talking about
                    One of these

                    I don't think they are for everyone though. I prefer the classic look of the more traditional 1911s. Now have I shot one? NAH!

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Garand1911
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2002
                      • 1443

                      Buy a low buck base gun, then send it to your fav gunsmith and get a trigger job. Shoot and enjoy, then decide what you want done next. A little at a time is not a bad thing. Good sights and trigger job might be all you need.

                      You will pay more for a big name gunsmith, and wait a long time too.
                      There are shops and smiths that have been customizing 1911s longer than some of the big names, and dont charge as much.
                      Springfield armory custom shop makes nice stuff too.
                      "I saved your life, AND brought you pizza" -- Me

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        jeffrice6
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 5173

                        If you have Wilson money ~ No reason not to get a Wilson!
                        WTB: S&W 617 4" 10 shot Pre-Lock

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          pklin1297
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2006
                          • 3287

                          If you have money for Wilson and you want a Wilson, go get a Wilson. CQB Elites are very nice and probably has everything you want already. If it doesn't, after you get it, send it back to Wilson for the mods you want.

                          If you want to go slow, go find a DW Valor to PPT, and if you don't like some of the features, send it back to DW for customization. I've contacted DW before and they do have a custom shop that can perform most work. Trigger and Accuracy out of the factory are already top notch.
                          NRA Member, CAPRC Member

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            mtenenhaus
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2007
                            • 3416

                            There are so many options. i've been fortunate enough to shoot Wilsons and Les Baer's and Nighthawk Customs and they were all very nice but at least for me there is a signficant difference with the personlized custom builds.

                            l have a used Springfield custom shop that is brilliant, it actually ended up costing less than some of the aforementioned and it shoots so nicely, fit so smooth. a real pleasure and a great value. Dave Williams is amazing to work with and did some upgrades to the pistol for me. I am a huge fan of their work and service.

                            My absoltule favorite i must admit is a build Mr. Bruce Gray did for me. I'm very recoil sensitive, not very strong, have longer fingers and a shorter palm. Mr. Gray took all this into account and fashioned a grip for me that's perfect, the slide glides so elegantly, it's so easy to rack the slide, no sharp edges anywhere (and yet no soap bar look which i do not favor), the trigger is perfect, the magwell integrated so nicely, the checkering refined . The pistol is unbelievably accurate and 100% reliable. I love that pistol so much that i specified it in my will to a very special friend.

                            If you communicate well with a great custom gunsmith and select carefully you can keep costs considerably down, forget the frills, get what is important for you. That would be my recommendation. Custom work does however take a long time to effect so you must be patient....but in the end it was very worth it for me.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              enzo357
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2009
                              • 559

                              Your custom from Will Ohara will be a work of art. Accurate, reliable, and beautifully detailed. You will love it.
                              If you still want a Wilson after you get your Caspian, always fun buying another gun. What happened to me? I ordered another custom.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Firefight
                                Senior Member
                                • Jan 2013
                                • 569

                                Originally posted by JackRydden224
                                One of these

                                I don't think they are for everyone though. I prefer the classic look of the more traditional 1911s. Now have I shot one? NAH!
                                Yeah I'm with you. I prefer the traditional look like the wilson I posted.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1