Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR Pistol question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    SloChicken
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2012
    • 4533

    Originally posted by foxtrotuniformlima
    Can a person borrow an upper to complete the build ?
    yes, if th person knows a person with a upper they can borrow (must be under 16").

    Must be a working pistol. Single shot, and with bullet button, otherwise conforming.

    But long answer made short is,

    Yes.
    sigpic

    Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter
    To me, it was a fist-fight, except that I did not counter-attack.

    Comment

    • #17
      mshill
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2012
      • 4486

      Originally posted by RickD427
      A "Bolt Action" AR could be something as simple as a conventional AR with the gas tube blocked. The weapon would fire normally, but the bolt would remain locked after firing. The bolt would be manually retracted by the charging handle and a fresh round loaded from the magazine as the bolt moves forward.

      Since the weapon, in that configuration, would be a "Single Shot", no mag lock would be required, and there would be no limit on magazine capacity (however any large-capacity magazines would have to be legally possessed).
      ^^^^ yep, its that easy. No sled required. Just make sure that when it gets converted to semi-auto a bullet button gets put on.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.

      Comment

      • #18
        CSACANNONEER
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Dec 2006
        • 44094

        Originally posted by RickD427
        A "Bolt Action" AR could be something as simple as a conventional AR with the gas tube blocked. The weapon would fire normally, but the bolt would remain locked after firing. The bolt would be manually retracted by the charging handle and a fresh round loaded from the magazine as the bolt moves forward.

        Since the weapon, in that configuration, would be a "Single Shot", no mag lock would be required, and there would be no limit on magazine capacity (however any large-capacity magazines would have to be legally possessed).
        Are you trying to say that a magazine fed firearm could qualify as a "single shot"? If so, you are mistaken.
        NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
        California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
        Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
        Utah CCW Instructor


        Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

        sigpic
        CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

        KM6WLV

        Comment

        • #19
          RickD427
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Jan 2007
          • 9277

          Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
          Are you trying to say that a magazine fed firearm could qualify as a "single shot"? If so, you are mistaken.
          Yes, that's what I'm saying. A single shot pistol may be magazine fed.

          There's a very good example of just such a weapon in the Remington XP-100R that had a four round magazine.

          The Penal Code does not provide a California-specific definition of for "Single-Shot". That leaves us with the common understanding that it each round must be individually loaded (by hand or from a magazine). The existence of commercially made firearms of similar design further supports that conclusion.

          The "Single-Shot" pistol is discussed in detail in Penal Code section 32100. There is no language in that section precluding the use of a magazine.

          I'm certainly not perfect in my read of the law. I've been wrong before, and I'm always open to correction. If you believe that I've erred, please cite a statute, or published case decision so holding.

          Just as we discussed in the other thread on the issue of mag locks on a single-shot AR, the fact that a given practice may be prevalent among manufacturers does not create a legal requirement that all manufacturers follow the practice.
          If you build a man a fire, you'll keep him warm for the evening. If you set a man on fire, you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life.

          Comment

          • #20
            mshill
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2012
            • 4486

            Regardless, at the very least, an AR with gas disabled and a sled appears to meet the "bolt action" requirement for SSE2 next year, agreed?
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.

            Comment

            • #21
              RickD427
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Jan 2007
              • 9277

              Originally posted by mshill
              Regardless, at the very least, an AR with gas disabled and a sled appears to meet the "bolt action" requirement for SSE2 next year, agreed?
              So long as it was originally manufactured that way, and not converted from a semi-auto, I would agree.
              If you build a man a fire, you'll keep him warm for the evening. If you set a man on fire, you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life.

              Comment

              • #22
                pluke the 2
                Senior Member
                • May 2012
                • 1926

                sse2.0 hereya go

                Comment

                • #23
                  drifts1
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2007
                  • 1443

                  I've never considered a bolt action firearm to equal to a single shot firearm. To me a single shot firearm is a firearm capable of holding only a single shot. So if you have a magazine fed firearm that holds more than 1 shot I would not consider it a single shot firearm. I dont consider the Remington Xp-100r to be a single shot because the magazine holds more than a single shot. But I guess that's just my silly common sense speaking.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    CSACANNONEER
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 44094

                    Originally posted by RickD427
                    Yes, that's what I'm saying. A single shot pistol may be magazine fed.

                    There's a very good example of just such a weapon in the Remington XP-100R that had a four round magazine.

                    The Penal Code does not provide a California-specific definition of for "Single-Shot". That leaves us with the common understanding that it each round must be individually loaded (by hand or from a magazine). The existence of commercially made firearms of similar design further supports that conclusion.

                    The "Single-Shot" pistol is discussed in detail in Penal Code section 32100. There is no language in that section precluding the use of a magazine.

                    I'm certainly not perfect in my read of the law. I've been wrong before, and I'm always open to correction. If you believe that I've erred, please cite a statute, or published case decision so holding.

                    Just as we discussed in the other thread on the issue of mag locks on a single-shot AR, the fact that a given practice may be prevalent among manufacturers does not create a legal requirement that all manufacturers follow the practice.
                    Interesting take on the definition of "single shot" since, historically manual action firearms (bolt, pump, lever, etc.) with magazines have been called "repeaters" since they were first produced.

                    As far as an XP100 goes, some are single shot and others (with magazines) are not considered "single shot" by any legal or colloquial definition that I've ever seen (until now). In any case, an XP100 has been on my long list since I first fired one in the early 80's. It will move to my short list in 2015. I just need to figure out what cartridge I want it chambered in and then find a RH action fitted into a LH stock.
                    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                    California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                    Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                    Utah CCW Instructor


                    Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                    sigpic
                    CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                    KM6WLV

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      RickD427
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Jan 2007
                      • 9277

                      Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                      Interesting take on the definition of "single shot" since, historically manual action firearms (bolt, pump, lever, etc.) with magazines have been called "repeaters" since they were first produced.

                      As far as an XP100 goes, some are single shot and others (with magazines) are not considered "single shot" by any legal or colloquial definition that I've ever seen (until now). In any case, an XP100 has been on my long list since I first fired one in the early 80's. It will move to my short list in 2015. I just need to figure out what cartridge I want it chambered in and then find a RH action fitted into a LH stock.
                      I understand, and agree with, your comments about "repeaters." But the term "repeater" doesn't appear in California's Penal Code. The code appears to categorize weapons (according to rate of fire) as "Single Shot", "Semi-Automatic" and "Machine Gun". Although "Single Shot" is not specifically defined in the Penal Code, both "Semi-Automatic" and "Machine Gun" are specifically defined, and in a way that excludes "repeaters". That leaves me to conclude that the type of weapon that we would call a "repeater" is a Single Shot as the term is used in the code.
                      Last edited by RickD427; 12-11-2014, 5:00 PM.
                      If you build a man a fire, you'll keep him warm for the evening. If you set a man on fire, you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1