Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR Pistol question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pistool Jan
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 65

    AR Pistol question

    Hi folks. I'm sure this has been asked and I should search.....but I'm on my phone so I figured to just ask here.

    Un CA, can one legally build an AR pistol using an 80% lower?

    Thanks.
  • #2
    rero360
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2009
    • 3927

    Some legal people say yes, some say no, I'm personally of the opinion of yes, and have done so myself. But IANAL and YMMV.

    Comment

    • #3
      phase1
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2013
      • 1753

      Yes, I'm not sure about after 12-31-2014
      Originally posted by Intimid8tor
      I don't need one but I might need one.

      Comment

      • #4
        toddh
        Banned
        • Dec 2010
        • 1914

        Originally posted by Pistool Jan
        Hi folks. I'm sure this has been asked and I should search.....

        Yes..... you SHOULD search.



        .

        Comment

        • #5
          CSACANNONEER
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Dec 2006
          • 44094

          As long as you adhere to all state and federal laws, you can. Of course, in CA, that includes making sure it is exempt from the roster or you are exempt from the roster.
          NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
          California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
          Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
          Utah CCW Instructor


          Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

          sigpic
          CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

          KM6WLV

          Comment

          • #6
            RickD427
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Jan 2007
            • 9277

            Originally posted by toddh
            Yes..... you SHOULD search.



            .
            ^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

            There's some basic courtesies involved here. You're asking folks to do work for you.

            Short answer, yes you can build an AR pistol from an 80% lower. But there's a bunch of hoops to jump through and the potential for a felony conviction if you miss one.
            If you build a man a fire, you'll keep him warm for the evening. If you set a man on fire, you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life.

            Comment

            • #7
              .45 ACP
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2014
              • 1545

              Dude are you kidding me? There's a thread on the exact topic on the freaking FIRST page. You didn't even need to use the search button, just browse the first 5 or so post.
              The Second Amendment ex-tends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding. - The United States Supreme Court

              Comment

              • #8
                Dumas1012
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Nov 2012
                • 1857

                Has been asked and

                Comment

                • #9
                  Pistool Jan
                  Junior Member
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 65

                  Thanks for the link Phase1.

                  .45ACP.......my ADD kicked in real bad before I got to post 5 or whatever. From what I see though, your own sage advice was brought seriously into question. Thanks for directing me there.

                  As for my question........after reading the link provided, I started getting excited about buying a single shot sled, then a bullet button, then a pistol buffer and then my 80% lower.

                  Then I saw the part (thanks to .45ACP's redirection)about the fact that the entire pistol, upper and all, has to be built before the end of the year.

                  I cannot afford that so my plan is up in smoke.

                  I thought that since the lower is the actual "firearm", that I could just buy the upper next year when I can afford it better.

                  But it makes total sense that the intent is to build a pistol and needs to be shown before the SSE exemption fades into oblivion.

                  Overall, complete build before 2015 or not.......the process seems dripping in risk.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    drifts1
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • 1443

                    Some are buying complete pistol lowers. That will allow you to get the upper later.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      deephouse
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2012
                      • 3858

                      Originally posted by .45 ACP
                      Dude are you kidding me? There's a thread on the exact topic on the freaking FIRST page. You didn't even need to use the search button, just browse the first 5 or so post.
                      It's happened many other times, with many other topics.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Pistool Jan
                        Junior Member
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 65

                        Originally posted by drifts1
                        Some are buying complete pistol lowers. That will allow you to get the upper later.
                        Well I have a handgun DROS running so the 30 day wait between handgun purchases bones me there.

                        Truth be told I went back and forth many times on whether I wanted an AR pistol. In the end I decided it would be beeyotchin' to have and maybe with the SIG brace it kinda becomes an SBR......in a sense. But the expense was an issue since I wanted an AR-10 to compliment my 3 AR-15's. So I gave up on the pistol version and got an AR-10.

                        When I remembered the 80% route I got excited again. I thought it would be simpler.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          mshill
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2012
                          • 4486

                          Originally posted by Pistool Jan
                          Thanks for the link Phase1.

                          .45ACP.......my ADD kicked in real bad before I got to post 5 or whatever. From what I see though, your own sage advice was brought seriously into question. Thanks for directing me there.

                          As for my question........after reading the link provided, I started getting excited about buying a single shot sled, then a bullet button, then a pistol buffer and then my 80% lower.

                          Then I saw the part (thanks to .45ACP's redirection)about the fact that the entire pistol, upper and all, has to be built before the end of the year.

                          I cannot afford that so my plan is up in smoke.

                          I thought that since the lower is the actual "firearm", that I could just buy the upper next year when I can afford it better.

                          But it makes total sense that the intent is to build a pistol and needs to be shown before the SSE exemption fades into oblivion.

                          Overall, complete build before 2015 or not.......the process seems dripping in risk.
                          There are still SS exemptions after the first of the year, "break top" or "bolt action" non-semi auto pistols will be roster exempt.

                          The real question becomes what does a "bolt action"non-semi AR pistol look like.
                          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            foxtrotuniformlima
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 3461

                            Can a person borrow an upper to complete the build ?
                            Anyone press will hear the fat lady sing.

                            Originally posted by Vin Scully
                            Don't be sad that it's over. Smile because it happened.
                            Originally posted by William James
                            I cannot allow your ignorance, however great, to take precedence over my knowledge, however small.
                            Originally posted by BigPimping
                            When you reach the plateau, there's always going to be those that try to drag you down. Just keep up the game, collect the scratch, and ignore those who seek to drag you down to their level.
                            .

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              RickD427
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Jan 2007
                              • 9277

                              Originally posted by mshill
                              There are still SS exemptions after the first of the year, "break top" or "bolt action" non-semi auto pistols will be roster exempt.

                              The real question becomes what does a "bolt action"non-semi AR pistol look like.
                              A "Bolt Action" AR could be something as simple as a conventional AR with the gas tube blocked. The weapon would fire normally, but the bolt would remain locked after firing. The bolt would be manually retracted by the charging handle and a fresh round loaded from the magazine as the bolt moves forward.

                              Since the weapon, in that configuration, would be a "Single Shot", no mag lock would be required, and there would be no limit on magazine capacity (however any large-capacity magazines would have to be legally possessed).
                              If you build a man a fire, you'll keep him warm for the evening. If you set a man on fire, you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1