Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Need help with my Dan Wesson Valor

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    snhgcmarucag
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2014
    • 3

    I pick up my Springfield Loaded I plan on changing it to a non-ambi.
    looks cool

    Comment

    • #17
      Modo
      Member
      • Oct 2013
      • 487

      Originally posted by Greg90731
      Totally agree with you, it is yours and you get to do what you want with it.

      I do get CK_32's point though.

      As a Dan Wesson owner myself (1911 and revolver), I know how well they are made and I too get a bit of a heartache when reading that someone that does not seem knowledgeable is going to potentially gut it. Unless you want to turn it into a competition race gun, I would highly recommend to keep it stock for a while (except for the safety and grips since you are a lefty) and get accustomed to it before you go into any more dramatic changes.

      I would also recommend as it was mentioned in an earlier post to study the platform. There are some really good sites put out by really knowledgeable people and some pretty good Youtube videos as well (along with quite a few videos that are going to make you wonder how you can get the time you wasted watching them back )

      You obviously have a great taste since you picked a DW so I am confident you will do well!

      Some pics would be welcomed too!
      Thanks for the kind words. I agree I'm going to keep the upgrades to the
      Min until I get familiar with my gun.
      If you could point me in the direction to study up on it I would appreciate it.

      Promise pics as soon as it's in my Paws.

      Comment

      • #18
        Modo
        Member
        • Oct 2013
        • 487

        Originally posted by snhgcmarucag
        I pick up my Springfield Loaded I plan on changing it to a non-ambi.
        Are you left handed? I've shot a couple mon ambi 1911s and found I couldn't adjust.

        Comment

        • #19
          Greg90731
          Member
          • Feb 2012
          • 342

          Originally posted by Modo
          Thanks for the kind words. I agree I'm going to keep the upgrades to the
          Min until I get familiar with my gun.
          If you could point me in the direction to study up on it I would appreciate it.

          Promise pics as soon as it's in my Paws.
          Google is your friend. Start of with simple strips and re-assemblies and wait until you are confident that you understand how all the pieces fit together before you venture into anything more advanced. It is not rocket science in the end but it is much easier to take a gun apart than it is to put it back together and the first time can be overwhelming. If you have some experience shooting friends, ask them to show you how they do it too.

          Be sure you look up idiot mark on a 1911. When you put back the slide stop, you can easily scratch the frame if you do not do it right and this will break your heart!
          For Sale:

          Smith & Wesson Performance Center 327 TRR8 https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1852566

          Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
          ― George Carlin

          Comment

          • #20
            Greg90731
            Member
            • Feb 2012
            • 342

            Originally posted by Modo
            Are you left handed? I've shot a couple mon ambi 1911s and found I couldn't adjust.
            I am pretty certain he is righty if he is considering taking off the ambi...
            For Sale:

            Smith & Wesson Performance Center 327 TRR8 https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1852566

            Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
            ― George Carlin

            Comment

            • #21
              Greg90731
              Member
              • Feb 2012
              • 342

              I would be surprised if you had not read this already before you bought it but just in case, this is good reading on this weapon.

              For Sale:

              Smith & Wesson Performance Center 327 TRR8 https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1852566

              Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
              ― George Carlin

              Comment

              • #22
                Modo
                Member
                • Oct 2013
                • 487

                Originally posted by Greg90731
                I would be surprised if you had not read this already before you bought it but just in case, this is good reading on this weapon.

                http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-wesson-valor/
                Lol. Several times, it was what pushed me to get it. That and a smith review who did a comparison against all the majors

                Comment

                • #23
                  CAGLS
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2012
                  • 3707

                  Magwell and ambi safety: Ed Brown Maxiwell or Wilson Combat

                  Exotic grips: Sarge's

                  1911 gun smith: Alan Tanaka but you should be able to install it yourself

                  Here's mine:

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    ruddogg
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 2581

                    Originally posted by CAGLS
                    Magwell and ambi safety: Ed Brown Maxiwell or Wilson Combat

                    Exotic grips: Sarge's

                    1911 gun smith: Alan Tanaka but you should be able to install it yourself

                    Here's mine:
                    nice!

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Modo
                      Member
                      • Oct 2013
                      • 487

                      Very nice.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Corbin Dallas
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • May 2006
                        • 6347

                        Originally posted by Modo
                        So I just got a Dan Wesson Valor in stainless and while I wait for Grab A Gun to ship it to my FFL and wait for 10 days in jail, I need a few things.

                        1. is a stainless ambi safety and someone in LA/SFV to install it

                        2. Nice grips. Maybe horn or something exotic since its my one and only 1911

                        3. Mag well, something that'll look in tune with the rest of the gun. I'm open to having it welded in as long as someone local can do it.

                        4. extra mags, maybe some 10 rounder's

                        that's a pretty strong list. 500 rounds of .45 is on the way already.
                        I appreciate your help.

                        1. Unless you are a lefty or plan to shoot a lot as a lefty there is no benefit to an ambi safety

                        2. Sarge's as others have mentioned

                        3. Weld a magwell? Holycrap are you insane? Get a one piece backstrap/magwell from Wilson combat or Ed Brown and call it a day

                        4. 10 round mags are mostly garbage. Stick with Wilson 47D's or Chip McCormick factory 8 round mags.
                        NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor: Pistol - Rifle - Shotgun - PPITH - PPOTH - NRA Certified RSO

                        WTB the following - in San Diego
                        --Steyr M357A1 357SIG
                        --Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

                        Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          wamphyri13
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Apr 2008
                          • 2759

                          The concensus of opinion is, since it's your first 1911, just leave it. I would agree with that for now. Get used to it before making any mods. If you really need the ambi safety, go with Ed Brown or Wilson Combat. If you want to add a magwell/mainspring housing, go with Ed Brown, Fusion, or Smith & Alexander. Avoid the Wilson Combat Speed Chute as the exterior profile is not the same as the others. The circumference is smaller, meaning your grips will not be flush on the sides with the magwell. The grips (width not length) will overhang the magwell.
                          If you must change the grips, I would suggest starting out cheap until you find what you really like. Wood, G10, rubber, smooth, full checkered, half checkered, etc. There are lots of options. Look into Raasco grips for a starter. Then, after you've done some shooting, you'll know what better options are out there for YOU.
                          Stripping the gun down:
                          Watch some videos on youtube. Watch several so you can see how it's done. Watch them several times before tackling it yourself. Get an exploded diagram from an old Midway Master Catalog or one of the Tek Mats from the gunshow with the 1911 on it. It's a very good diagram of where parts go.
                          At this point, I will disagree with Baboosh. It does not take 5 minutes to breakdown and reassemble a 1911. It takes longer than that just to get the sear and disconnector put in! But his sentiment is correct. They are pretty easy to do once you've done your first, you get used to it.
                          Ryan
                          The following statement is true.
                          The preceding statement was false.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Modo
                            Member
                            • Oct 2013
                            • 487

                            Originally posted by Corbin Dallas
                            1. Unless you are a lefty or plan to shoot a lot as a lefty there is no benefit to an ambi safety

                            2. Sarge's as others have mentioned

                            3. Weld a magwell? Holycrap are you insane? Get a one piece backstrap/magwell from Wilson combat or Ed Brown and call it a day

                            4. 10 round mags are mostly garbage. Stick with Wilson 47D's or Chip McCormick factory 8 round mags.
                            1. I am a lefty
                            2. I am insane, but not doing anything to the magwell for the time being

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Modo
                              Member
                              • Oct 2013
                              • 487

                              Originally posted by wamphyri13
                              The concensus of opinion is, since it's your first 1911, just leave it. I would agree with that for now. Get used to it before making any mods. If you really need the ambi safety, go with Ed Brown or Wilson Combat. If you want to add a magwell/mainspring housing, go with Ed Brown, Fusion, or Smith & Alexander. Avoid the Wilson Combat Speed Chute as the exterior profile is not the same as the others. The circumference is smaller, meaning your grips will not be flush on the sides with the magwell. The grips (width not length) will overhang the magwell.
                              If you must change the grips, I would suggest starting out cheap until you find what you really like. Wood, G10, rubber, smooth, full checkered, half checkered, etc. There are lots of options. Look into Raasco grips for a starter. Then, after you've done some shooting, you'll know what better options are out there for YOU.
                              Stripping the gun down:
                              Watch some videos on youtube. Watch several so you can see how it's done. Watch them several times before tackling it yourself. Get an exploded diagram from an old Midway Master Catalog or one of the Tek Mats from the gunshow with the 1911 on it. It's a very good diagram of where parts go.
                              At this point, I will disagree with Baboosh. It does not take 5 minutes to breakdown and reassemble a 1911. It takes longer than that just to get the sear and disconnector put in! But his sentiment is correct. They are pretty easy to do once you've done your first, you get used to it.
                              Ryan
                              Do you think I could get used to the single safety being left handed? like disengaging it with my knuckle?

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                wamphyri13
                                CGN Contributor
                                • Apr 2008
                                • 2759

                                If you shoot left handed, then get an ambi safety. My buddy is left handed, but shoots with his right hand, so the single sided safety is not an issue. If you shoot left handed, then an ambi safety is a wise change. Do that for comfort, convenience, and safety, but hold off on the other stuff until you shoot it and really know what you want. Time changes opinions/wants/needs. YEARS ago I really liked the idea of front cocking serrations. (FCS) Now, I really can't stand them. My opinion at the time was swayed by the newness of it and the marketing hype. I'm older now, own a lot of 1911s, and know what I want and don't want on each of them. I really want to own a basic GI or Mil Spec model again, but I can't shoot them without the grip safety rubbing the webbing of my hand. I put 500 rounds through my MC Operator in one day without a problem. I couldn't get through 200 rounds of my Remington R1 without it making my hand sore. I need guns with a BTGS. (beaver tail grip safety)
                                Here's what I own now in 1911s
                                Kimber Pro Carry II - This will be bobtailed and have the barrel flush cut and re-crowned and an an EGW reverse plug.

                                2005 Dan Wesson PT-C Patriot Commander (Cbob)

                                2014 Dan Wesson Valor - Trigger changed to Kimber 2 Hole because I don't like solid triggers.

                                Springfield Armory No Longer Mil-Spec by Chuck Rogers - Custom build by Rogers Precision.

                                RIA 2011 Tactical

                                S&W Railed - Mods made by Dave Severns. Flush cut and re-crown barrel with EGW thick bushing, and install night sights.
                                The following statement is true.
                                The preceding statement was false.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1