Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

High end 1911s worth it?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    rm1911
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 4073

    High end 1911s worth it?

    Chicks dig high end 1911's. Buy a high end 1911 for the same reason you buy a fancy sports car. Because chicks dig them.

    It always about the chicks
    NRA Life Member since 1990

    They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

    Comment

    • #17
      cc426
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2013
      • 647

      depends what you mean "worth it". There's definitely diminishing returns just like with anything else. It's the old 80/20 rule. You pay 80% for the last 20% of performance.

      Same as with everything else. I can buy a subaru for 30k, a corvette for 80k, or a ferrari for 250k.

      Comment

      • #18
        cc426
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2013
        • 647

        Originally posted by rm1911
        Chicks dig high end 1911's. Buy a high end 1911 for the same reason you buy a fancy sports car. Because chicks dig them.

        It always about the chicks
        ignore my last comment. Its all about this ^^^

        Comment

        • #19
          diverwcw
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2012
          • 2693

          I have a few 1911s and my favorite is my RIA standard Government Model. It's built like a tank and that's exactly how they were intended to be built. They were built for combat conditions, slugging their way through European trenches, Pacific Islands, Korean winters and Vietnamese jungles. They liberated concentration camps and are just all around bad axe. I can hit a pie plate with it at 25 yards and that makes me happy.
          sigpic

          Former Front Sight Commander Member
          NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
          CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
          NRA Instructor: Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Range Safety Officer

          Comment

          • #20
            Virus55
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2012
            • 1697

            Not worth it imo
            Active Law Enforcement
            Certified Glock Armorer
            Hunter & Fisherman
            God Bless The USA
            Lets Go Brandon!!!

            Comment

            • #21
              Barbarosa
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 2166

              All of my guns shoot better than I do. That doesn't keep me from getting some fancy ones though.

              Comment

              • #22
                l8apex
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2009
                • 663

                Other than pride of ownership, no. But that's just me, Glocks are shot the HSLD 1911 sits. It's more of a piece of history to me now ever since polymer striker fired pistols.
                It's the Indian, not the Arrow

                Comment

                • #23
                  ejor
                  Member
                  • Mar 2007
                  • 212

                  I I think The led Baer well worth it just the smoothness and function, only problemis the $500 1911 I bought to save wear and tear on the Baer is No longer Fun to shoot

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    chronixskm
                    Member
                    • Feb 2012
                    • 386

                    Originally posted by Purgatoiry
                    I currently own a springfield loaded and a kimber ultra cdp. I'm trying to buy as much as I can before the end of the year and I'm wondering how much better a higher end 1911 would be to shoot, having never shot one. With a budget of say 1.5-2k, would the upgrade be noticeable? Could I just have some work done on the SA instead down the road?
                    It depends on what you are going to do with it, if it's just a range gun it would say no, a high end 1911 is not worth it unless you are just an enthusiast.

                    Springfield Custom shop does great work I would just send your gun to them get the front strap checkered and match fit barrel installed.
                    Last edited by chronixskm; 08-03-2014, 12:26 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      hossb7
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2006
                      • 3285

                      "Glock 19"
                      We in Bangor, Maine now baby.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Mossy Man
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jun 2011
                        • 7641

                        Not worth it for me; can't shoot well enough to take advantage of it.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Snoopy47
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2010
                          • 3895

                          Originally posted by hossb7
                          "Glock 19"
                          For me that's an XD9, but all the same.

                          I was knocking down 8 inch steel plates at 50 yards one day, and the guy next to me inquired to what I was shooting. Yes, it was a Springfield TRP, and he reacted as if that was the reason why. I was almost tempted to ask if I could try it with his.
                          Before there was Polymer there was Accuracy.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            peter95
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 2488

                            3k+ nighthawk or less Baer shoots the same as my Kimber Gold Combat II

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              bombadillo
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Nov 2007
                              • 14810

                              I own a full house custom that was built in 1981. It was originally a colt 5" government, and transformed into a beautiful piece of work. It has a Gold Cup trigger, fitted slide to frame, fitted barrel, fitted bushing, fitted EVERYTHING, custom front sight, Bo-Mar target rear sights, hand checkered front strap, flat hand checkered main spring housing, checkered rear of slide, hand-checkered trigger guard, hand-flared mag well instead of a funnel, hand carved gold medallion extra thin Colt grips to match the flared magwell, frame is plated in something done in the 80's called NPQ or something similar, slide is colt royal blued. Trigger job by Larry Mears in Redding CA, Ed Brown hammer, sear, and set at 2.6lbs trigger break. barrel hood is "dished" which is still not known why he put it on there, but it will shoot a 2" 25 yard off hand by yours truly with ease. I have still yet had it on a ransom rest to see what it will do, but one of these days I will.

                              Anyway, I detail it out because I've had a RIA, a Dan Wesson PM7 (2nd favorite 1911 to date) and this custom Colt. After I took my dentist out shooting, he was in awe at the craftsmanship of the weapon. He could "feel" distinct differences in shooting that one and going back to shooting a Ruger, RIA, DW, and then back to the Colt. Its ABSOLUTELY worth it to get a custom, but only if you can actually afford it. I know this is kind of on the realm of outside of what you're really looking to buy, but I would try to find a nice Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Guncrafter, or get into something like Stan Chen, Steve Bailey, or Ned Christiansen. Good luck with whatever you get!!!






                              It suits my tastes, but yours may vary. Nothing "tactical" about it, but it goes bang every single time.


                              There's plenty more little things that I forgot to mention, like chamfering, deburring, springs, and more, but I don't have enough time.
                              Last edited by bombadillo; 08-03-2014, 12:40 PM.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                bombadillo
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Nov 2007
                                • 14810

                                And no its not stained, it is something about the vignetting of the stupid photo.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1