Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Just took my CCW class.......

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • highpower
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2012
    • 5321

    Just took my CCW class.......

    In Nevada. One thing I thought was interesting was that out of the 23 people attending, 12 were women. Their ages ranged from the early twenties to grandmothers and all were there to get a CCW license and have the ability to defend themselves.

    Since you do not have to specify which gun you are going to carry, I cheated and used my Glock 17 to shoot the qualification course. I haven't shot it in over a year (I've been really busy), but still managed to shoot a 298 (two fliers) out of 300, most of which were in one ragged hole in the X ring. Now I go in on Monday and pay the license fee and wait for it to come in the mail.
    MLC member.

    Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

    Dumocraps suck balls.
  • #2
    jonc
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2009
    • 6406

    Originally posted by highpower
    In Nevada. One thing I thought was interesting was that out of the 23 people attending, 12 were women. Their ages ranged from the early twenties to grandmothers and all were there to get a CCW license and have the ability to defend themselves.

    Since you do not have to specify which gun you are going to carry, I cheated and used my Glock 17 to shoot the qualification course. I haven't shot it in over a year (I've been really busy), but still managed to shoot a 298 (two fliers) out of 300, most of which were in one ragged hole in the X ring. Now I go in on Monday and pay the license fee and wait for it to come in the mail.



    Congrats!!!

    Comment

    • #3
      drifter2be
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2011
      • 2177

      Originally posted by highpower
      In Nevada. One thing I thought was interesting was that out of the 23 people attending, 12 were women. Their ages ranged from the early twenties to grandmothers and all were there to get a CCW license and have the ability to defend themselves.

      Since you do not have to specify which gun you are going to carry, I cheated and used my Glock 17 to shoot the qualification course. I haven't shot it in over a year (I've been really busy), but still managed to shoot a 298 (two fliers) out of 300, most of which were in one ragged hole in the X ring. Now I go in on Monday and pay the license fee and wait for it to come in the mail.
      Congrats, you cheater.

      My fiance and I are heading out to Vegas in a month to take our CCW course. I already have my carry permit in AZ, but NV no longer has reciprocity with AZ, and with all the trips we take there I wouldn't mind being able to carry. I am planning on shooting the course with my Glock 19, but I actually carry that
      Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L Mencken
      Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo

      "Moms Demand Action" sounds less like a gun control group and more like the title of a porn flick from the mid-90s.

      Comment

      • #4
        den888
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jul 2009
        • 10520

        Well done!

        Comment

        • #5
          Jason95357
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2013
          • 1130

          Originally posted by highpower
          In Nevada. One thing I thought was interesting was that out of the 23 people attending, 12 were women. Their ages ranged from the early twenties to grandmothers and all were there to get a CCW license and have the ability to defend themselves.

          Since you do not have to specify which gun you are going to carry, I cheated and used my Glock 17 to shoot the qualification course. I haven't shot it in over a year (I've been really busy), but still managed to shoot a 298 (two fliers) out of 300, most of which were in one ragged hole in the X ring. Now I go in on Monday and pay the license fee and wait for it to come in the mail.
          Hah, if that's cheating, what's using a Sig 1911-22? That's what my wife qualified with.

          Our class was much like yours. Very large age range, from young, to middle aged, to old, and about 50% women.
          LTCs: CA, OR, AZ, UT, FL, NV
          GOA & NRA Member

          Comment

          • #6
            SDM44
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 3899

            Originally posted by Jason95357
            Hah, if that's cheating, what's using a Sig 1911-22? That's what my wife qualified with.
            Do you need to draw from a holster when qualifying in NV, or need a holster at all?

            Might be fun (and cheating ) to qualify with my new M&P 22 instead of my Glock 19 that I had originally planned to qualify with. Plus, ammo is slightly cheaper ).

            Comment

            • #7
              Haz
              Junior Member
              • Jun 2011
              • 61

              Originally posted by drifter2be
              Congrats, you cheater.

              My fiance and I are heading out to Vegas in a month to take our CCW course. I already have my carry permit in AZ, but NV no longer has reciprocity with AZ, and with all the trips we take there I wouldn't mind being able to carry. I am planning on shooting the course with my Glock 19, but I actually carry that
              Drifter, where are you taking your Vegas class at?
              Land of the free, BECAUSE of the brave!
              Thank a Veteran!

              Comment

              • #8
                Jason95357
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2013
                • 1130

                Originally posted by SDM44
                Do you need to draw from a holster when qualifying in NV, or need a holster at all?

                Might be fun (and cheating ) to qualify with my new M&P 22 instead of my Glock 19 that I had originally planned to qualify with. Plus, ammo is slightly cheaper ).
                Our class/qualifications had no holsters requires. YMMV
                LTCs: CA, OR, AZ, UT, FL, NV
                GOA & NRA Member

                Comment

                • #9
                  Mithrandir13
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2012
                  • 899

                  I just attended a class and qualified with my 4506 at "The Gun Store"....
                  class was free... had to use store ammo....

                  the target was the B-27 silhouette.... needed to hit the 7 ring or better...
                  3, 7 and 12 yards.... the 3 yd target was 6 shots right handed.. reload.. 6 shots left handed.... the 7 and 12 yds were 6, reload, 6 with both hands (or not)... not really that hard.... though with a guy in the next cell raging with a full auto SAW, there was a fair degree of distraction!!
                  .
                  Went to LVMPD monday, submitted app, fingerprints and picture.... now wait......
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  The founding fathers did a wonderful thing when they included the second amendment to the constitution...

                  Yes... and this! http://www.constitution.org/2ll/2ndschol/87senrpt.pdf

                  Good Guys with Guns HERE

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    XDJYo
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Apr 2012
                    • 7093

                    Dang! You guys got it easy! We can't even get a straight answer on HOW to apply for CCW in CA these days!
                    Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
                    Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
                    Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
                    M&P 15 (Mine)

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Speedpower
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2010
                      • 2238

                      The best place to take the CCW class is "The Range 702" located at Dean Martin Drive, you use your own ammo and it's free for Nevada and if you want UTAH (which will add more state that you can Carry) just pay $49.95 for the class and you take the class all at the same time

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Mithrandir13
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2012
                        • 899

                        the class I did included florida with Nevada....
                        .
                        .
                        The founding fathers did a wonderful thing when they included the second amendment to the constitution...

                        Yes... and this! http://www.constitution.org/2ll/2ndschol/87senrpt.pdf

                        Good Guys with Guns HERE

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          pastureofmuppets
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2013
                          • 1805

                          Congrats.

                          It's interesting with the amount of women. We have noticed at our training company over the past year that it's almost 50/50 male female. Sometimes we have more females in a class, sometimes not.

                          Very, very positive for the culture to be losing the whole male dominated thing.
                          Host of the FAST OC podcast.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            FresnoRob
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2013
                            • 2133

                            Congrats.
                            Our class ( in CA ) was small but half women.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Quiet
                              retired Goon
                              • Mar 2007
                              • 30242

                              I just took the "free" CCW class at TheGunStore. (some of the info they gave during the class was incorrect and based on FUD & instructor bias)
                              Did the qualification with my .22LR Ruger Mark II, they charged me around $18 for the ammo.
                              19 people in the class, 2 were women.
                              Since I doing a renewal, ended up being done by around 1530 hrs. Which gave me enough time to fill out the application and turn it in before LVMPD closed at 1700 hrs. Got to LVMPD at around 1620 hrs, there was no wait time and was done (turn in application, pay fees, livescan, photo) in about 14 mins.
                              sigpic

                              "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1