Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

380 for CCW?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    viet4lifeOC
    Veteran Member
    • May 2010
    • 4888

    Was planning to getting a Glock 42, but decided against it for now because I can't find ammo for it.

    Those that carry .380, I've read people advocating carrying FMJ instead of hollow points..opinions?

    Comment

    • #17
      RollingCode3
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 3221

      Originally posted by MajorSideburns
      can you tell us about that LCP holster? is that a kydex belt loop built into the holster or a metal clip? who makes that? it looks nice and sturdy
      PJholster.com I like it so much i just order one for my glock 42 too.
      Any gun owner who does not support the NRA is a freeloader.

      Comment

      • #18
        RollingCode3
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 3221

        Originally posted by viet4lifeOC
        Was planning to getting a Glock 42, but decided against it for now because I can't find ammo for it.

        Those that carry .380, I've read people advocating carrying FMJ instead of hollow points..opinions?
        I carry JHP in my Glock and lcp (golden saber or Speer gold dot) but I have Winchester FMJ flatnose in the spare mag.
        Any gun owner who does not support the NRA is a freeloader.

        Comment

        • #19
          viet4lifeOC
          Veteran Member
          • May 2010
          • 4888

          Originally posted by RollingCode3
          I carry JHP in my Glock and lcp (golden saber or Speer gold dot) but I have Winchester FMJ flatnose in the spare mag.

          Cool. Thanks for the info.

          Comment

          • #20
            SDM44
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2010
            • 3900

            Originally posted by viet4lifeOC
            Was planning to getting a Glock 42, but decided against it for now because I can't find ammo for it.
            My Glock 42 is currently in jail right now, and I've been shopping for more .380 FMJ ammo. I'm finding lots available, but it ain't cheap.... around $19-$21 per 50/box, and that's factory new stuff like CCI Blazer Brass and Fiocchi which I've read cycle through the G42 just fine.

            The kicker is trying to find spare mags for less than $60. I actually found 2 extra spares through a friend of a friend in TX, and he sold them to me at his cost ($26 each) so now I'll have 4 to play with .... or flip for a quick buck

            Originally posted by viet4lifeOC
            Those that carry .380, I've read people advocating carrying FMJ instead of hollow points..opinions?
            For most .380 rounds, the ball ammo has better penetration than the JHP .380 rounds.

            However, lately there are been some modern .380 JHP rounds that have good penetration and expansion. Here's one example.

            Comment

            • #21
              Gemini Effect
              Member
              • Feb 2013
              • 341

              Originally posted by RollingCode3
              I ccw the lcp or glock 42 90% of the time. There is nothing wrong with it. Make sure you carry an extra mag with it. It is much easier with the 380 than the 9mm especially during hot weather.

              I like your pic because it displays what you will carry with you on a daily basis. As I am moving to TX, this is pertinent for me as well. Kinda comforting.

              Disagree with your signature though. Natural pointers mean less adapting of your wrist to an unnatural grip angle.
              My YouTube Project: http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueonGoldZ/videos

              Comment

              • #22
                ElDub1950
                Calguns Addict
                • Aug 2012
                • 5688

                Combining all the comments the average is 'better than nothing' so I'll agree with that.

                The reality is that .380 JHP ammo tests consistently fail the minimum penetration and expansion. So, 'better than nothing', yes. Adequate, no.

                And several 9mm pistols meet the same size criteria and most 380s so that advantage is gone. And, for me, I notice very little difference in recoil between my friends Colt Mustang and my Glock 26. Granted, perhaps the recoil difference is more significant in say, an M&P Shield and a .380.

                Add to that the scarcity and high cost of .380 ammo and I just can't find any reason to go looking for a new .380 for CCW purposes.

                Do what you want, this is just my opinion.

                Comment

                • #23
                  RedFord150
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 5665

                  Most 'experts' say .380 is the minimum defensive caliber. Lots of LEO's carried .380 as their back-up or off-duty weapon.
                  I personally own a Bersa Thunder in .380 and keep this as my travel gun for road trips. Legally transported, of course.
                  Ammo makes the difference. Buffalo Bore and Cor-Bon DPX seem to get the highest marks. Luckily, my Bersa feeds just about anything.
                  I buy whatever is cheap for range. If I can get 100 round boxes at WM, they are around $35.00.
                  Just my .02...
                  God Did Not Create All Men Equal, Colonel Colt Did.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Speedpower
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2010
                    • 2238

                    This 3 are my CCW, I always carry the Bodyguard with me

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      gun toting monkeyboy
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Aug 2008
                      • 6820

                      With the improvements in ammunition manufacture in the last decade, I would say that .380 JHP rounds are far better than they used to be. Way back when, you couldn't reliably count on .380 rounds getting enough penetration or expansion with a JHP to consistently stop a threat. And by using the FMJ bullets, you stood a better chance of the round reaching something vital, or punching a hole through the target. Think of is more along the lines of a long-range rapier or stiletto. You were making a hole, and little else. Today's JHP rounds are designed to work reliably at the specific velocities that .380 shoot at. So you get more expansion, with deeper penetration than you used to. And more disruption of the surrounding tissue.

                      Realize that the .380, like the .32 ACP is severely limited because of all of the older firearms out there that are chambered in it. And ammunition manufacturers must take into account that there are idiots out there who will stuff anything that says ".380 ACP" on it into that rusted Spanish hand-made POS from the 1920s and expect it to fire. So you are unlikely to see as much of an improvement in those calibers as you have seen in 9mm guns, with their higher operating pressure. And truthfully, I am okay with that. There are many older .380s out there that would make dandy CCW guns. Ones that can't take the equivalent of a +P loading. I would much rather have JHP rounds that are designed to open at the much lower velocities that you get from .380 pistols.

                      -Mb
                      Last edited by gun toting monkeyboy; 04-07-2014, 11:36 PM.
                      Originally posted by aplinker
                      It's OK not to post when you have no clue what you're talking about.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Che762x39
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2011
                        • 4538

                        Originally posted by viet4lifeOC
                        Was planning to getting a Glock 42, but decided against it for now because I can't find ammo for it.

                        Those that carry .380, I've read people advocating carrying FMJ instead of hollow points..opinions?
                        No. 380 ACP really needs JHP. One shooting I responded to, the shop owner had a one shot kill, point blank at center mass with a Glasser Safety Slug from his 380 ACP.
                        Last edited by Che762x39; 04-07-2014, 6:08 PM.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          gun toting monkeyboy
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Aug 2008
                          • 6820

                          Originally posted by Che762x39
                          No. 380 ACP really needs JHP. One shooting I responded to, the shop owner had a one shot kill, point blank at center mass with a Glasser Safety Slug from his 380 ACP.
                          That must be wrong. Any keyboard commando will tell you that those Glaser rounds only leave shallow wounds that annoy robbers and get you killed.
                          I'm glad somebody has actually seen them work. They had an incredible record when they first came out, but the knuckle draggers on line just can't stand them.
                          Originally posted by aplinker
                          It's OK not to post when you have no clue what you're talking about.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            stix213
                            AKA: Joe Censored
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 19002

                            Caliber capabilities aside, I think the biggest advantage of the .380 is you're just more likely to actually have it on you rather than eventually not carrying due to a bigger gun becoming a hassle. I'd rather try to get myself out of trouble with a .380 than realize I have nothing because I tried to be a "real man" with a larger gun but left it at home....

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              hks95134
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2014
                              • 959

                              I will ultimately add a Walther 380 to my LTC list.

                              This little gun is great for when you cannot carry a bigger pistol.

                              I would carry a lot of mags though, at least 3 or 4 total.

                              The only way this spy caliber works is if you empty the magazine into someone.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Pax2525
                                Member
                                • Jan 2013
                                • 107

                                its all about what you feel comfortable with and the money you have to spend. You can carry whatever you want if you have the money. I know people who carry a .32. You'll read here whatever you want to hear, you'll also read the shot placements thoughts.

                                I would just go with whats gonna make you comfortable if you at some point actually have to use it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1