Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Looking For a Cheaper Handgun

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    saki302
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2005
    • 7191

    Don't buy a crap gun. A Tokarev (9mm) or makarov (9x18) is in your price range and bothare good functional pieces of communist technology. A CZ52 pistol can be had for under $200, and you can convert it to 9mm if you want also.

    A nice .38 can be bought for that price range too, or even a used .357 if you look. Do not buy a crapy gun which won't last and gives no pride of ownership. If you become a 'gun guy', you'll regret it later.

    -Dave

    Comment

    • #17
      kenc9
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2003
      • 1774

      ROCK ISLAND .45 1911-A1 PISTOLS. ONLY......$289.95
      Online gun store with 50,000+ guns, ammunition, and shooting accessories from the industry's leading brands at discount prices with fast shipping and US-based customer service.


      -ken
      sigpic

      http://www.myspace.com/ronpaul2008
      Best Collection Of Ron Paul Videos
      http://www.ronpaulnation.com/tv.html#kansascity
      http://www.ron-paul-news.com/

      Comment

      • #18
        SFW516
        Junior Member
        • May 2006
        • 9

        I really like the Rock Island's but as far as I know they aren't legal here in CA. Does anybody know the practicallity of having someone buy a gun out of state and bring it in?

        I just might go for a .38 if I can find a good one. I really don't care what pistol it is I just want something reliable and cheap to shoot. I may just end up getting the money together and just getting a Springfield 1911. Who knows. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Keep em coming.

        Comment

        • #19
          pilotimb
          Member
          • Nov 2005
          • 321

          Originally posted by bu-bye
          You can get a used CZ75b for around $300
          Where do I need to look to find that price? Thats exactly what I want but haven't been able to find any under 400 in the SF bay area.

          Comment

          • #20
            asintado
            Member
            • Feb 2006
            • 450

            The cheapest CZ75B I've seen was $360. I think he was just giving a round number. Try and hit up a S&W Sigma (sw9ve or sw40ve). They're around $325 and I believe there's a gentleman on the classified selling both his 9mm and .40 cal. versions for $275.

            Comment

            • #21
              The Soup Nazi
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2006
              • 2455

              Originally posted by saki302
              Don't buy a crap gun. A Tokarev (9mm) or makarov (9x18) is in your price range and bothare good functional pieces of communist technology. A CZ52 pistol can be had for under $200, and you can convert it to 9mm if you want also.

              A nice .38 can be bought for that price range too, or even a used .357 if you look. Do not buy a crapy gun which won't last and gives no pride of ownership. If you become a 'gun guy', you'll regret it later.

              -Dave
              I thought Tula Tokarev 33 was chambered for 7.62X25, just like the CZ52. Its not as common, but it definately is out there from what I can see.

              Comment

              • #22
                brassburns
                Junior Member
                • Jan 2006
                • 53

                For a first gun, I'd buy a .22 semi-auto pistol. My first choice would be a Ruger Mark II target model with a 5.5 inch bull barrel. There may not be new ones out, there, but a used one would definitely be in your price range.

                When Ruger fixes the problem with the loaded chamber indicator (accidental discharge when struck from the side), the Mark III would also be an excellent choice, but until that happens, stay away, especially a new shooter.

                The S & W 22A series is also a choice, but many steps down in quality from the Ruger.

                Randy
                NRA Life Member

                Comment

                • #23
                  pepsi2451
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 1633

                  Originally posted by kenc9
                  ROCK ISLAND .45 1911-A1 PISTOLS. ONLY......$289.95
                  Online gun store with 50,000+ guns, ammunition, and shooting accessories from the industry's leading brands at discount prices with fast shipping and US-based customer service.


                  -ken
                  +1 for the Rock Island I have only put about 300 rds of WWB through mine but haven't had a problem.

                  Originally posted by SFW516
                  I really like the Rock Island's but as far as I know they aren't legal here in CA. Does anybody know the practicallity of having someone buy a gun out of state and bring it in?
                  Its on the approved list under "Armscor Precision Rock Island 1911 A-1 G.I. / Blue Steel" Exp date is 6/12/2006 so hurry up!

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    saki302
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 7191

                    Originally posted by The Soup Nazi
                    I thought Tula Tokarev 33 was chambered for 7.62X25, just like the CZ52. Its not as common, but it definately is out there from what I can see.
                    You can convert virtually any Tokarev from 7.62x25 to 9mm with a simple barrel and mag swap. I have a Norinco 213 which fires both. I leave it as 7.62 since I have too many 9mms already, and the little bottle necked bullet really zings! With a good US-made JHP, that would be a nasty little round..

                    -Dave

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      CaMakarovnik
                      Junior Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 92

                      9x18 Ammo Costs

                      Originally Posted by SFW516
                      I was also thinking about the Makarov but I was worried about the price of ammo. How available is the ammo for them?
                      I just got a case (1000 rounds) of S&B 9x18 from Natchez Shooters Supply for $185, including shipping. The cost has risen somewhat, reportedly due to demand from Afgan and Iraqi police/military purchasing.

                      The Russian manufactured ammo is also a little harder to find than before, but still cheaper that that.

                      CaMakarovnik

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        kenc9
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2003
                        • 1774

                        Originally posted by SFW516
                        I really like the Rock Island's but as far as I know they aren't legal here in CA. Does anybody know the practicallity of having someone buy a gun out of state and bring it in?

                        I just might go for a .38 if I can find a good one. I really don't care what pistol it is I just want something reliable and cheap to shoot. I may just end up getting the money together and just getting a Springfield 1911. Who knows. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Keep em coming.
                        Just got one three months ago...They are legal.

                        -ken
                        Last edited by kenc9; 05-14-2006, 7:49 PM.
                        sigpic

                        http://www.myspace.com/ronpaul2008
                        Best Collection Of Ron Paul Videos
                        http://www.ronpaulnation.com/tv.html#kansascity
                        http://www.ron-paul-news.com/

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Satex
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Feb 2006
                          • 3501

                          Turners has Star 9mm on sale once in a while. Why does everyone hate them?

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            SFW516
                            Junior Member
                            • May 2006
                            • 9

                            Turners has Star pistols? I thought they weren't approved. I heard that they are illegal for dealers to sell.

                            I have heard alot of good things about the Star pistols, that is what I would most like to get.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              rainman8819
                              Member
                              • Jul 2005
                              • 306

                              The Star pistols are not on the list. I can't remeber when, but the stopped bringing them in years ago. I was lucky enough to buy a Firestar M45. First handgun I bought and never had a single problem. I still have it today. If you find one on consignment, I'd buy it.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                saki302
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 7191

                                I believe the Star model B is a C&R pistol and thus SB-15 exempt. That's the most likely explanation anyhow. I've read about some reliability problems with the Star B, but have never owned one personally.

                                -Dave

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1