Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ammo Storage in garage

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    madjack956
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 2617

    Most of mine is in spam cans so I don't sweat it.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America www.pva.org

    Comment

    • #17
      Brandon04GT
      In Memoriam
      • Feb 2011
      • 3016

      Is anyone familiar with cat litter desiccant? The regular packets I once bought on ebay are kinda pricey for what they are and I've been needing some more.

      I once read that the bulk kitty litter box pellets are actually desiccants and you can use it as such in ammo cans. I am thinking about filling a bunch of new airplane socks with them to make my own moisture absorbing packets?

      Comment

      • #18
        s4alex
        Member
        • Mar 2011
        • 467

        DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE OF THESE PEOPLE!!!!

        Storing them in your garage is a complete mistake. You will never want to keep it there.





        Keep it in mine. I will even make sure the rounds are safe on a weekly basis by taking an unknown number of rounds and shooting them to make sure they still work.
        - I don't believe in Safety First. Never have and never will.

        - I believe in Safety ALWAYS. Bad things happen if you only do it first...

        Comment

        • #19
          32blownhemi
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2011
          • 502

          Originally posted by Bjkearns
          You are putting too much thought into this

          Buy an ammo can,place ammo in ammocan,place on shelf,use as needed
          ^^^^^ I also vote for this... My Dad had ammo that his Dad bought back in the 30's. Shot shells, 45's, 38's, .348 Winchesters... I remember back in the 70's some of the shot gun rounds not firing so my Dad got rid of these (just not going off). The other ammo I shot into the 90's UNTIL I found out what antique ammo sold for! So I sold it! It wasn't in ammo cans just in the original wooden boxes. So in metal cans w/ desiccant should be GTG for a long long time...

          Comment

          • #20
            Jet Setter
            Calguns Addict
            • Aug 2012
            • 5348

            Originally posted by Brandon04GT
            Ammo can + dessicants are all you should need really. Make sure you keep the cans off the ground/concrete too.
            Good call. If you have an old fridge (not being used and unplugged), they work well for storage. The internal temperature is consistent. I store primers and powder that way also. Just make sure there are dissicants in there to keep moisture out.
            *********************
            WTS:
            1. PW 800+ Hydro Multispeed (just the hydraulic unit that also works with Spolar press)
            2. PW 800B converted to 800C (12 gauge) with lots of accessories and upgrades
            3. Hornady 366 (12 gauge)

            Comment

            • #21
              Subotai
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jun 2010
              • 11289

              I used to have a box labeled "stove parts" on the shelf.
              RKBA Clock: soap box, ballot box, jury box, cartridge box (Say When!)
              Free Vespuchia!

              Comment

              • #22
                jeffrice6
                Calguns Addict
                • Jan 2006
                • 5173

                Garage works, in the house will always be better......
                WTB: S&W 617 4" 10 shot Pre-Lock

                Comment

                • #23
                  RonnieP
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2012
                  • 2750

                  Originally posted by Omidh44
                  What's the best way to store pistol and shotgun ammo in the garage? How long can they be in their normal packing in a cabinet in the garage before the environment effects their performance?
                  Your ammo is bad/unsafe to shoot. Send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you at no charge.
                  Trump 2016

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    ttbingo
                    Banned
                    • May 2013
                    • 174

                    Originally posted by Bjkearns
                    You are putting too much thought into this

                    Buy an ammo can,place ammo in ammocan,place on shelf,use as needed
                    Hahahahahaha

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Saym14
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jul 2009
                      • 7892

                      50 years should be good

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        enzo357
                        Senior Member
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 559

                        Tupperware in the garage. Throw in a dess. pack and good to go.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          x-007
                          Member
                          • Jul 2010
                          • 115

                          I inherited a rather large quantity of reloaded .30'06 ammo from my Great-Uncle back in the late 1980's. He was a meticulous reloader, and had 3"x5" cards with all of the load data in each of the WW-I steel ammo cans. I was a bit leery about some of it, especially since it had been reloaded in 1932, but there were NO duds or misfires! I'd guess that it could have been stored for another 50+ years!

                          By the way, my Great-Uncle lived in Corona Del Mar, which is only a few miles from the beach. Lots of moisture in that area! I remember that he would only reload when the humidity level was low, and all of those WW-I steel ammo cans had good rubber gaskets on them. He had it all stored in his garage.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            CK_32
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Sep 2010
                            • 14369

                            Ammo cans.
                            For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                            What's Your Caliber??


                            My Youtube channel

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1