Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Semi custom 9mm target pistol ideas

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • camcojb
    Member
    • May 2013
    • 451

    Semi custom 9mm target pistol ideas

    I have a like new SA Trophy Match that I bought in May. I initially wanted a 9mm target gun so I could consolidate my ammo with my Glock 19. Also the ammo is usually less expensive, so it would save some money as I like to go to the range every week when possible.

    I went looking online and locally and found this SA in stock at a local dealer and bought it. Hard to find anything at that time so I opted for a 45. I've put maybe 600 rounds through it and it's a great gun, but I still wish I would have bought a 9mm. I can sell this gun and I have about 3500 rounds of ammo to sell also, so I'm starting to look for a 9mm.

    I want to stick with a full size gun with a 5" barrel if possible. I'd also prefer that it's legal in California to avoid the SSE stuff, but not completely opposed to that if the dealer will handle it and the price fits my budget. Right now I'm looking at a $3K max budget, but would much prefer it come in lower. Not looking for a low end gun, want something semi custom. I've looked at Dan Wesson, Les Baer (doesn't make a full size 9mm that I've seen on the roster), but I keep coming back to Wilson Combat. Problem with Wilson is that their 9mm's are not on the Ca roster (meaning SSE) but also they are 1-2 years away from delivery. Dan Wesson also has the PM9 that they build from time to time, I have a message into them on the timeline (would also require SSE).

    What brands am I missing? Or are all the best target pistols 45's? I'm not in a big rush as I can keep shooting this Springfield. But I don't want to wait 1-2 years either.
    Jody

    My Car Projects

    Lateral-G.Net
  • #2
    camcojb
    Member
    • May 2013
    • 451

    Originally posted by Killer Bee
    what type of shooting?

    are you looking for 1911 frame only?

    prefer steel, alloy, or polymer? open?

    website is down apparently http://www.salientarms.com/

    but I had the pleasant opportunity to shoot one of these recently and it was quite a treat..



    I don't know much at all about Glocks but it was one of the highest tiers of mods and it was quite a shooter.. $$ I have no idea.. as far as I know, you buy your standard pistol and send it to them for mods.. you would have to contact them for details..

    other than that, I'm not much help.. my top three are .45's
    SA Pro
    HK Mark 23
    HK USP Expert

    while you're hunting for ideas.. maybe search 'target' '9mm' on GunBroker and see what pops up..
    Good info. This gun is just for recreational target shooting, nothing more. I'm better with my G19 than I am with the Trophy Match actually, though it's close. Seems like the extra weight of a 1911 as compared to the Glock is harder for me to hold steady. I can visually see a difference in movement between the two. A 9mm version would have the same issue, if it is the weight and not the grip angle that affects me.

    Not against Glocks at all, though they are boring to look at (which shouldn't matter but does...... ). That one you pictured looks pretty cool though, I'll check it out.
    Last edited by camcojb; 07-08-2013, 1:14 PM.
    Jody

    My Car Projects

    Lateral-G.Net

    Comment

    • #3
      GJC
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2009
      • 1864

      Glock 34 love mine.

      sigpic Rifleman Jan 31 2010
      Have You tried an Appleseed Lately? http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
      NRA Life Member

      Comment

      • #4
        camcojb
        Member
        • May 2013
        • 451

        Originally posted by GJC
        That would be the one to go with in a Glock. The cost around here is about $630, would leave a lot of money for modding.
        Jody

        My Car Projects

        Lateral-G.Net

        Comment

        • #5
          GJC
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 1864

          Originally posted by camcojb
          That would be the one to go with in a Glock. The cost around here is about $630, would leave a lot of money for modding.
          Lots of uprades available for it, local to me is the Glock store. Mine is completely stock. But I am getting tempted to trick it out some

          Find the best Glock accessories available when you shop online at GlockStore.com. From parts and holsters to magazines and custom items, our business has the items you need!


          Some tricked out glocks
          sigpic Rifleman Jan 31 2010
          Have You tried an Appleseed Lately? http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
          NRA Life Member

          Comment

          • #6
            nikki#2
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2009
            • 2164

            Have you considered a Sig p210? Well... I guess it's not considered semi-custom. It's the standard that a semi-custom would be measured by.... no?

            How about an S&W 952?
            Last edited by nikki#2; 07-08-2013, 1:33 PM.

            Comment

            • #7
              trigger945
              Calguns Addict
              • Sep 2012
              • 5795

              Since you are willing to wait, why not get exactly what you want?

              There are only a few 9mm 1911's on the roster - SA Loaded (2 types), Kimber and RIA. There might be a few more but not much. I have seen Kimbers here so if used is an option for you, that should work. You can then customize it all you want. I owned one and liked it.

              Good luck!
              One Way to Post Pics ********** How to Submit an iTrader Rating That Counts ********** Brass for Sale

              AR's for Sale ********** Ammo for Sale ********** Accessories/Parts for Sale ********** Handguns for Sale

              Comment

              • #8
                trigger945
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2012
                • 5795

                By the way, I have shot an Ed Brown executive target stock except that the recoil spring was replaced to take 80% loads. It was one heck of a shooter. The recoil on the 80% loads was VERY tame but the round was very accurate.

                Might want to look into a similar set up as well.
                One Way to Post Pics ********** How to Submit an iTrader Rating That Counts ********** Brass for Sale

                AR's for Sale ********** Ammo for Sale ********** Accessories/Parts for Sale ********** Handguns for Sale

                Comment

                • #9
                  Paperchasin
                  YOU are next!!
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Oct 2010
                  • 6407

                  I vote for Sig X5 competition. Comes in around $1900 before tax and DROS. IMO fits the definition of Semi-custom as each one is hand fitted and test fired. If you want to spend closer to the $3k range, check out the X5 L1 (if you decide to go SSE route).
                  Feedback: https://imgur.com/a/mkdPdnQ

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    trigger945
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Sep 2012
                    • 5795

                    Great suggestion by Paperchasin above! For some reason, I thought the OP was limiting it to 1911's until I re-read the post.

                    That is one fine shooter! I have shot one.
                    One Way to Post Pics ********** How to Submit an iTrader Rating That Counts ********** Brass for Sale

                    AR's for Sale ********** Ammo for Sale ********** Accessories/Parts for Sale ********** Handguns for Sale

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      morrcarr67
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jul 2010
                      • 15053

                      Yes you can have 2 C&R 03 FFL's; 1 in California and 1 in a different state.

                      Originally posted by Erion929

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        camcojb
                        Member
                        • May 2013
                        • 451

                        Originally posted by trigger945
                        By the way, I have shot an Ed Brown executive target stock except that the recoil spring was replaced to take 80% loads. It was one heck of a shooter. The recoil on the 80% loads was VERY tame but the round was very accurate.

                        Might want to look into a similar set up as well.
                        They look like they're all 45's. Great looking gun though.
                        Jody

                        My Car Projects

                        Lateral-G.Net

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Glockrocks
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2012
                          • 629

                          Sig P210 would make a nice target pistol, not sure if the new ones are off roster or find a used one.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            camcojb
                            Member
                            • May 2013
                            • 451

                            Originally posted by Paperchasin
                            I vote for Sig X5 competition. Comes in around $1900 before tax and DROS. IMO fits the definition of Semi-custom as each one is hand fitted and test fired. If you want to spend closer to the $3k range, check out the X5 L1 (if you decide to go SSE route).
                            Originally posted by trigger945
                            Great suggestion by Paperchasin above! For some reason, I thought the OP was limiting it to 1911's until I re-read the post.

                            That is one fine shooter! I have shot one.
                            Yep, that X5 Comp looks great, and Ca legal. Leaves me money for ammo too.
                            Jody

                            My Car Projects

                            Lateral-G.Net

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              zfields
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 13658

                              I'd look at a tricked out CZ 75 SA or TS. While its not "semi custom", once you get it back from CGW it will sure as hell shoot like one (or better )
                              Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings : Custom Paracord slings

                              10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1