Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Value the gun!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • brigadelion
    Junior Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 36

    Value the gun!

    Dear senior S&W specialists,
    Using your professional knowledge give a market value to S&W 686-3; produced on April 10, 1992. The round count on this gun is less than few dozen. Find the link to detailed pictures below. Thank you!

    Last edited by brigadelion; 02-27-2013, 11:12 PM.
  • #2
    G-forceJunkie
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2010
    • 6474

    $600-700.

    Comment

    • #3
      sirgiles
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2008
      • 2311

      Originally posted by G-forceJunkie
      $600-700.
      "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

      Bruce Lee

      Comment

      • #4
        brigadelion
        Junior Member
        • Feb 2013
        • 36

        What is more desirable for collectors: S&W 686-1 or S&W 686-3?

        6" 686-1 is going for $800

        Comment

        • #5
          PatrickRyan
          Member
          • Jan 2013
          • 426

          It's worth nothing. But don't worry, I'll take it off your hands But seriously, nice wheel gun. My grandfather was pricing similar revolvers at about $650 pretty consistently.
          "Where liberty dwells, there is my country." ~Benjamin Franklin

          Comment

          • #6
            brigadelion
            Junior Member
            • Feb 2013
            • 36

            Can you please ask your grandfather: What is more desirable today 686-1 or 686-3?

            Originally posted by PatrickRyan
            It's worth nothing. But don't worry, I'll take it off your hands But seriously, nice wheel gun. My grandfather was pricing similar revolvers at about $650 pretty consistently.

            Comment

            • #7
              Fishslayer
              In Memoriam
              • Jan 2010
              • 13035

              Originally posted by brigadelion
              What is more desirable for collectors: S&W 686-1 or S&W 686-3?

              6" 686-1 is going for $800
              http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=330197711
              I could be totally wrong but I don't believe very many of the 686 are of any real interest to collectors. The -1 was only in production for a year so I guess there aren't a whole lot of them.

              For a shooter I would probably go for a -3 if I didn't already have a no dash.

              Beware the fuzzy photo. Could be a trick of the light but does anybody else think that it looks like the bottom half of the address lines have been almost buffed off? I don't think I'd pay $800 for a 6" 686 but if I were I would sho 'nuff want some better pitchers of what I was buyin'.

              Last edited by Fishslayer; 02-27-2013, 11:20 PM.
              "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
              You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
              You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


              Originally Posted by JackRydden224
              I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
              Originally posted by redcliff
              A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

              Comment

              • #8
                PatrickRyan
                Member
                • Jan 2013
                • 426

                Originally posted by brigadelion
                Can you please ask your grandfather: What is more desirable today 686-1 or 686-3?
                Originally posted by Fishslayer
                I could be totally wrong but I don't believe very many of the 686 are of any real interest to collectors. The -1 was only in production for a year so I guess there aren't a whole lot of them.

                For a shooter I would probably go for a -3 if I didn't already have a no dash.

                Beware the fuzzy photo. Could be a trick of the light but does anybody else think that it looks like the bottom half of the address lines have been almost buffed off? I don't think I'd pay $800 for a 6" 686 but if I were I would sho 'nuff want some better pitchers of what I was buyin'.

                Less dash-1's means more collectible, but the dash-3 has the new yoke retention system. I don't know what that means for collector's and my grandfather is just trying to complete his 686 collection. While they aren't necessarily rare, they are valuable and buyers are willing to pay a pretty penny. If I'm not mistaken, the 2.5" barrel is more valuable to collectors, but you're still looking at $650 maybe $700+ easy.
                "Where liberty dwells, there is my country." ~Benjamin Franklin

                Comment

                • #9
                  -hanko
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Jul 2002
                  • 14174

                  Originally posted by brigadelion
                  What is more desirable for collectors: S&W 686-1 or S&W 686-3?

                  6" 686-1 is going for $800
                  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=330197711


                  I've never seen a 686 collection. Other than the PC 7 and 8-shooters, seen one--seen 'em all.

                  The gunbroker link indicates the weapon apparently sold for $795...typical CA pricing.


                  Originally posted by Fishslayer
                  I could be totally wrong but I don't believe very many of the 686 are of any real interest to collectors. The -1 was only in production for a year so I guess there aren't a whole lot of them.

                  For a shooter I would probably go for a -3 if I didn't already have a no dash.

                  Beware the fuzzy photo. Could be a trick of the light but does anybody else think that it looks like the bottom half of the address lines have been almost buffed off? I don't think I'd pay $800 for a 6" 686 but if I were I would sho 'nuff want some better pitchers of what I was buyin'.
                  Photo appears to be the results of an amateur "polishing" job.

                  At $800, you're easily in the ballpark for a Model 27 or something similar with actual collector following.

                  -hanko
                  True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

                  Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

                  Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

                  A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Oceanbob
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jun 2010
                    • 12720

                    No collector following. I recently sold a 66, unfired in the box for $600 cash.

                    May the Bridges I burn light the way.

                    Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

                    Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      rm1911
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 4073

                      "collector" is an individual thing. I'd love to own that gun. and shoot it. guns are made to be shot. that's their value. once something's "value" goes beyond its utility and into the intrinsic/aesthetic, it's impossible to determine. how much someone values just having the gun is as varied as people.

                      I've got a few things in the safe that don't get used much, but they're not there to sell at a later date. if you get my meaning hell, most guys here probably have the same. what I value is that they'll be there in the future.

                      my car is 8 years old and has 110,000 miles on it. not pretty at all. but runs great. you'd probably offer $500 at most for it, I'd not take less than many, many times that. and even then, probably not even sell it.

                      I get that people like to collect things of interest. just because they made less of one model than another is irrelevant. what was so special about that one model, what is not about its replacements?
                      NRA Life Member since 1990

                      They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        beerman
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 5193

                        I'd call it $600 TO $650... I personally would'nt par more than that if I was in the market for one..$650 with the box & paperwork. I think Blued S&Ws are more desirable

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          sfbay
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          • Sep 2011
                          • 1646

                          Beautiful gun!
                          You get what you get and you don't get upset !

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            brigadelion
                            Junior Member
                            • Feb 2013
                            • 36

                            Do you have a value for it?
                            Originally posted by sfbay
                            Beautiful gun!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              XDRoX
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 4420

                              Originally posted by brigadelion
                              Do you have a value for it?
                              Everyone in this thread has a value for it. You just don't want to believe anyone...

                              I told you last week in the three threads that got deleted that you'd be lucky to get $800 for it. I stick by that. The last 586 I bought I paid $450 for and it was a no dash. This was a couple years ago.
                              Chris
                              <----Rimfire Addict


                              Originally posted by Oceanbob
                              Get a DILLON...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1