Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Attention: Reloaders

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    rdubya
    Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 145

    In normal times what happens if someone calls on Wed and says they want to go shooting on Sat? You run around trying to find ammo. When you reload you wait until Friday night and load up a couple hundred rounds and enjoy Sat.
    Times like now, when you call someone up to see if they want to go shooting most likely they will tell you they can't cause there isn't any ammo to be found or they can't afford it.
    Pretty much the only guys who compete on a regular basis now a days are the reloaders, no one else has anything to shoot.
    I have several cases of factory ammo in the garage I've had for years because I hate to shoot it. My loads are more accurate and more comfortable to shoot.

    Comment

    • #17
      rm1911
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2013
      • 4073

      you save money when you spread it out over the years. it's not a one year return. availability aside (I just order primers from bruno's this weekend), for instance primers are right now about $30/1000. $0.03 a piece. bullets are $50 for 500, $0.10 a piece. powder goes for $25 a pound. target rounds take 10 grains a piece average. most will take less. 7000 grains a pound. $25/700 $0.04 a piece. brass??? well, it depends. you can get pick it up at any range, buy it in bulk, reuse current brass many times, etc.

      so yes, you can do a 45 for $0.20 a round. x50 rounds, that's $10 a box. of course I started reloading 20+ years ago when it was WAAAYYY cheaper. and I still have all my reloading equipment.

      you can customize rounds for your guns. my garand and my deer rifle are both '06. I won't shoot factory ammo in the garand and I get great accuracy with the hunting rifle.

      and then there's other reasons you reload, which I won't explain publicly.
      NRA Life Member since 1990

      They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

      Comment

      • #18
        BoJackUSMC
        Calguns Addict
        • Aug 2010
        • 7091

        Bad time to start reloading.....hard to find powders and primers for reasonable price right now.

        Comment

        • #19
          elsolo
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2006
          • 4798

          I don't know any good shooters that buy loaded ammo.

          I bought a Dillon 650 just to load 9mm, it paid for itself in 6 months and that was about 10 years ago when 9mm ammo was $4/box.

          Comment

          • #20
            The Right to Bear Arms
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2012
            • 680

            Originally posted by rm1911
            you can customize rounds for your guns. my garand and my deer rifle are both '06. I won't shoot factory ammo in the garand
            First of all, thanks to everyone for their contributions. I appreciate everyone's insight. I have elected to first become more informed on the actual realities of reloading at this particular moment. Going forward, I will proceed with wisdom.

            Btw, I sense that at least a half a dozen of you really enjoy the activity. It is of course romanticized by those who haven't done it yet but I'm glad to have additional information to ponder. Thank you, Cal Guns.

            RM1911: Question, sir. You reload for the All American rifle, the Garand. It's in 30-06' which can still be found in factory form @ Wally world presently. I know you won't shoot it but if you replace the " gas plug " on the Garand, aren't you able to to shoot any type of reload or factory 30-06' in the storied rifle?
            " A Republic, if you can keep it ..... " Benjamin Franklin

            Comment

            • #21
              Old Scribe
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Dec 2010
              • 587

              I enjoy reloading, another hobby. Winter time where I live can be frustrating so to keep from getting cabin fever I spend a lot of time reloading. It also enables me to shoot more, as I tell wifey there's no more room for storing all this ammo.
              sigpic
              U S Coast Guard Squadron Three, Viet Nam 1968
              NRA Life Member

              "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you've got me into!"
              Oliver Hardy

              Comment

              • #22
                rm1911
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2013
                • 4073

                Originally posted by The Right to Bear Arms
                RM1911: Question, sir. You reload for the All American rifle, the Garand. It's in 30-06' which can still be found in factory form @ Wally world presently. I know you won't shoot it but if you replace the " gas plug " on the Garand, aren't you able to to shoot any type of reload or factory 30-06' in the storied rifle?
                yes you can. but I don't feel like changing parts, losing parts, all that. plus, no factory load will approximate the GI round. I think factory ammo, loaded for bolt rifles, doesn't work nearly as well.

                by duplicating GI specs, or close to it, the thing is an amazing shooter. plus, I think factory ammo is a bit hot. rather not wear out that rifle any faster.
                NRA Life Member since 1990

                They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

                Comment

                • #23
                  skosh69
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 4290

                  Let's see, cost is the biggest factor. Once you get all your equipment and set up going, you can reload for about 2/3's less than factory, if not more!

                  Accuracy, yes you can get better accuracy with your own hand loads.

                  Private time. Reloading time is time all to yourself in your man cave, garage or spare room. My wife and kids know not to bother me unless it's an emergency as they do not want me to blow something up. I may have exaggerated this so that they'll leave me alone!

                  Sadly, it's easier to find factory ammo right now than it is to find plated bullets, primers and powders. The essential components you need!

                  Let's not even talk about trying to find equipment. All the big suppliers, MidwayUSA, Brownells, etc are out of the popular caliber die sets. You are regulated to buy from Ebay and Craigslist. I'm seeing Lee, 4 Die, 45 ACP die sets going for nearly $80. Ridiculous!

                  So, what am I getting at? Be patient and wait out the paranoia. Don't give into the price gougers and pay outrageous prices.

                  This is just my .02.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    rabidmonk
                    Member
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 314

                    I've stopped encouraging people to reload. There's too much competition as it is trying to get components.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Dark Mod
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 4284

                      Using Xtreme bullets, wolf primers, and free* range brass i pump out 9mm at $98 per 1000. With my case/bullet feed setup it takes a little over an hour to do 1k rounds.

                      Lead casters should be able to do it for about $40 or $50 per k since bullets are the most expensive part.

                      Great investment in my shooting hobby, and kinda grew into a whole hobby of its own.

                      I almost forgot to mention that some of the ammo i make is much better than whats available at stores, while the lowest quality ammo i make is still about as good.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Swagman00
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2012
                        • 4149

                        Let me see...trying to think of why I reload...

                        Ah yes. I had a friend call the other day. Said he found a couple of diving weights he was going to toss. Instead he gave them to me.

                        I brought both home that day and made 290 new 180 gr. .40 cal friends with it.



                        Now to heat up some lube and pan it, size 'em, dig out some range leftovers (also free) and spend my whole twelve dollars worth of primers and pennies worth of powder loading them up.
                        Last edited by Swagman00; 02-24-2013, 8:37 PM.
                        Anyway...here's a dearth of reasoning to ponder: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Guns

                        Originally posted by movie zombie
                        and you guys wonder why women are fed up with bad behavior?!

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Sac-AR15
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2011
                          • 881

                          Originally posted by boomer135
                          love to know how your reloading 9mm for .10 per round. I am @ .13 using montana gold 124gr.
                          Mine is at $0.10 a round and I dont cast. Buy bulk. I do use lead boolits from this one site. Plus I stocked up before this madness.
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Blademan21
                            Senior Member
                            • Jun 2007
                            • 1941

                            The end of last year I was able to buy on Glocktalk a little over 4,000 pieces of 9MM brass. I took my time in preping the brass. So now I have the brass primed and ready to load. All I need is the extra $ to buy the bullets. Lucky for me I hae plenty of factory 9's on hand.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              lwlaml
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2011
                              • 675

                              I reload 147gr for about $.11/ round:

                              Buy Xtreme bullets at distributor pricing -> .065 each
                              Primer -> .035 each
                              Powder -> .01 per round


                              Lester





                              Originally posted by boomer135
                              love to know how your reloading 9mm for .10 per round. I am @ .13 using montana gold 124gr.
                              Lester W. Lam

                              Pistols and rifles and shotguns, oh my!

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Fishslayer
                                In Memoriam
                                • Jan 2010
                                • 13035

                                Originally posted by The Right to Bear Arms
                                Does anyone here reload all of the so called " practical calibers " 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP ?

                                If so, please regale the rest of us " non reloaders " on all the benefits and value of this increasingly valuable activity.

                                Yes, I plan on getting started and frankly I feel our Golden state benefits overall when we have a gun owner community that possesses a diversified skill set.

                                Thanks for your time my fellow California gunners,

                                R.B.A.
                                Took the wife to the range today. I burned 100-ish rds of .45ACP and 50rds of .22LR.
                                Wife went through about the same of 9mm and 150 rds of .22LR.
                                I didn't bat an eye nor break a sweat.
                                "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                                You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                                You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


                                Originally Posted by JackRydden224
                                I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
                                Originally posted by redcliff
                                A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1