Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Holster for OWB.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Ronin2
    Banned
    • Jan 2011
    • 5563

    Originally posted by jessegpresley
    Holsters with thumb breaks are to meet department guidelines for retention. Police and other LEOs have to go hands on with dangerous people, and weapon retention is very important as all too often cops are hurt with their own weapon. How does that apply to you and me? It doesn't! Or at least not me. Thumb breaks are lame and completely unnecessary if you buy a well crafted holster specifically designed to hold your particular firearm.
    I totally disagree if you are buying a holster for possible CCW in public or on private property. You should have tactical priority to make sure that your weapon is always with you/SAFE should you get into any physical altercation or accident.

    If you are shopping for a competition/range holster then the retention issue isnt.

    I like to train the way I might someday have to fight so all my competition holsters and CCW holsters are one in the same... with a level I retention thumb break snap.

    I use Galco holsters (Fletch/FED paddle and PLE paddle) for CCw/range/competition and for tactical applications I use the Safariland model 3084 military tactical holster.

    Originally posted by jessegpresley
    The world's finest handguns can cost $5k, but the worlds finest holster only cost $100-$175; worth it, ain't it?
    ++++++1

    Its analogous to buying a fine sports car and putting cheap tires on it....LOL
    Last edited by Ronin2; 01-21-2013, 9:22 AM.

    Comment

    • #17
      negolien
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2010
      • 4829

      You should take a look at the Safariland 568 they are paddles which make removing and stuff alot easier. I also use their 572 paddle for double magazines.

      "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

      George Orwell

      http://www.AnySoldier.com

      Comment

      • #18
        Striker
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2010
        • 750

        Originally posted by blockster
        I want to pick up a holster for my Glock 17, i have been looking at Blade-tech,G-Code,Fobus and Blackhawk. The only holsters i really like are the G-Code and Fobus, the G-Code Holsters are really expensive and the shipping is ridiculous, the Fobus seems the best bet at this point. Anybody have any experience with the Fobus holsters, specifically with the thumb breaks?
        Any opinions would help.
        As stated above numerous times, Fobus is not a good holster. Take it from someone who has been down the cheap holster route, it's not worth it. Wish I had just bought quality holsters and belts from the beginning. I would have a much fatter bank account right now.

        What is the intended use of the holster, concealment or open carry or both? If both, take a look at Raven Concealment with the Pancake loops. If it's not for concealment and you want active retention, try a Safariland ALS holster. Great holsters, but not good for concealment. If you want leather, Galco makes a ton of good holsters. A good friend of mine has a Bianchi Snap lok holster. Wears it everday and loves it. Other than that, you've already had comptac, bladetech and you might as well add Persec (PSS) to your search.

        Good holsters are worth the money.
        Last edited by Striker; 01-21-2013, 12:24 PM.

        Comment

        • #19
          Grumpyoldretiredcop
          Calguns Addict
          • Sep 2008
          • 6437

          Originally posted by Striker
          Wish I had just bought quality holsters and belts from the beginning. I would have a much fatter bank account right now.
          Quoted as absolute truth that I learned the same way (looks at plastic tub-o-holsters no longer used).
          I'm retired. That's right, retired. I don't want to hear about the cop who stopped you today or how you didn't think you should get a ticket. That just makes me grumpy!

          Comment

          • #20
            Euphoria526
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2012
            • 3812

            +1 for bladetech. Awesome holster. Now I just need a shooting belt haha
            But great stuff, doesn't mess up the guns finish (cz p01) and feels great OWB.
            Originally posted by Jimi Jah
            I punch paper only because it is illegal to punch people.
            Originally posted by elpaisa1
            I think flatulence is a more serious crime. I think it should be a misdemeanor with a 1000 dollar fine or 6 months of jail. It should be a felony if done near an open flame.

            Originally posted by Euphoria526
            I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself

            Comment

            • #21
              blockster
              Member
              • Jul 2011
              • 356

              i ended up going on ebay and finding a Safariland 6280. It is used but still works excellent and for 40 bucks shipped cant go wrong. i still have money to pick up an HSGI Sure Grip Belt and a Cobra Belt!. Thanks for the suggestions guys

              Comment

              • #22
                blockster
                Member
                • Jul 2011
                • 356

                i am still trying to get a drop leg system also

                Comment

                • #23
                  SILENT GUNMAN
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 1468

                  I'm partial to the safariland paddle with the als system. Unlike other plastic holders the safari land has a liner to help protect your pistol's finish. I've used fobus and black hawk and to me they just don't compare. You can get them on amazon for around 50 bucks or so last time I looked.
                  "Suck on my machine gun" (Ted Nugent)

                  Originally posted by Fishslayer
                  "9mm is for killing Europeans. For truly dangerous people you need a .45."
                  Originally posted by fighterpilot562
                  I showed up naked to ur house with cake. But you weren't home. YOur wife maced me. And I was arrested

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    negolien
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2010
                    • 4829

                    Meh

                    Originally posted by jessegpresley
                    Why does it look like your mags are facing backwards?
                    I just jammed em in there for a picture but to be honest some people do carry differantly. I actually have it set up with the tabs facing away from each other. As a side note to the OP grats bud post a pic if ya get a chance
                    Last edited by negolien; 01-25-2013, 6:50 AM.
                    "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

                    George Orwell

                    http://www.AnySoldier.com

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      CrippledPidgeon
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2007
                      • 1765

                      Originally posted by jessegpresley
                      Holsters with thumb breaks are to meet department guidelines for retention. Police and other LEOs have to go hands on with dangerous people, and weapon retention is very important as all too often cops are hurt with their own weapon. How does that apply to you and me? It doesn't! Or at least not me. Thumb breaks are lame and completely unnecessary if you buy a well crafted holster specifically designed to hold your particular firearm.
                      While retention will buy you a second or two against an inexperienced criminal, they're not going to help you at all against someone who knows what they're doing.

                      Retention is more useful for the mundane things, such as: preventing the gun from falling out of your holster in the car, preventing the gun from falling out of your holster when you go prone, preventing the gun from falling out of your holster if you are chasing someone, preventing the gun from falling out of your holster when you're practicing handstands. That kind of thing.

                      Personally, I don't use retention with my handguns. I use kydex or kydex/leather hybrids so that I can control the tension on my gun. My competition holsters are set with the tension really low (as long as the muzzle is in the holster when I let go, it's going to fall into place), and my work holsters are set somewhat higher.

                      The world's finest handguns can cost more than $5k, but the worlds finest holster only cost $100-$175; worth it, ain't it?
                      Fixed that for you.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Massan
                        Senior Member
                        • Jul 2010
                        • 1042

                        Do you need retention? If so, what level?
                        I highly recommend Safariland if your going the retention route. They also have the new ALS system for G17 if your not a fan of the SLS.

                        If your just going lvl 1,
                        Blade-tech and Raven are my top two.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          iron330
                          Member
                          • May 2011
                          • 415

                          Can't say I've tried many holsters, but the Raven Phantom and my G17 just love each other. Retention is excellent, with a very precision click when sent home. The holster sits very close to the body without being uncomfortable. I personally don't see a reason for IWB when this Raven OWB is so good. With quick ship I got mine in under 2 weeks order to door.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            paul0660
                            In Memoriam
                            • Jul 2007
                            • 15669

                            looks at plastic tub-o-holsters no longer used
                            Put them up for sale; there is a newb born every minute.
                            *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              tuna quesadilla
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Apr 2006
                              • 5147

                              Originally posted by iron330
                              Can't say I've tried many holsters, but the Raven Phantom and my G17 just love each other. Retention is excellent, with a very precision click when sent home. The holster sits very close to the body without being uncomfortable. I personally don't see a reason for IWB when this Raven OWB is so good. With quick ship I got mine in under 2 weeks order to door.
                              In before somebody tells you that their $39 kydex special made by some doofus with a toaster is just as good.

                              <--Raven owner. I've never handled a knockoff kydex holster that came anywhere close in terms of attention to detail, retention, or quality of draw.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Red Devil
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2010
                                • 800

                                BlackHawk CQC Carbon Fiber SERPA Holster

                                ...For a HD/Range/Woods holster it works very well.

                                It is very compact and rides extremely close and secure - especially w/ the paddle attached. (although I cut the horn off the paddle to ease mounting/dismounting and the belt-hooks on the holster keep the rig anchored and secure.)

                                The external lock is positive, naturally located, and easily accessed - especially w/ heavy layered clothing.

                                I have been carryin' it at the 3:30 position w/ one notch (~15 deg.) of forward tilt. Draws and re-holsters quickly and easily w/o looking.


                                I may get a Safariland 6378 ALS Paddle Holster for rollin' round and playin' in the dirt, but for a simple positive retention carry rig?

                                ...Best $38.87 delivered to my stoop I ever spent on a holster.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1