Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glock 23 Failure to Fire

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Oceanbob
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jun 2010
    • 12720

    Dry it is. You should be able to hold the silver button (firing pin safety) down and shake the slide back and forth and hear the firing pin rattle around.

    I am amazed at some of the GLOCKs I buy (18 of them) used that have a large amount of CRUD in the firing pin channel. Pull the pin assembly and clean it dry; I use long Q tips (dry) to swab out the GUNK in the channel.

    May the Bridges I burn light the way.

    Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

    Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

    Comment

    • #17
      Lumpia is sarap!®
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2008
      • 2267

      Remove the back plate of the slide and firing pin assembly. Grab a Q-tip and clean the channel. Blow it dry and reassemble. You're good to go!
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #18
        HighLander51
        Banned
        • Feb 2010
        • 5144

        OP, "I stripped it down, dumped a bunch of CLP down into the firing pin area, re-assembled it, racked it about 6 times, and it worked flawlessly again."

        Well, all that could have happened is that the CLP loosened up all the crud and it got pushed out of the weep hole. Normally you want the striker bore and spot face to be dry, no lube anywhere near it or the striker pin. Was this factory ammo, or reloads?

        Comment

        • #19
          The Right to Bear Arms
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2012
          • 680

          OP: Glad to see you're back on track with the G23 aka God's gift to the modern pistol world.

          Dude, how long have you had that G23?
          " A Republic, if you can keep it ..... " Benjamin Franklin

          Comment

          • #20
            MyGlock17
            Member
            • Feb 2012
            • 429

            I never put oil or any kind of lubricant down the firing pin on a Glock..I do however clean it with a Q-tip and alcohol which really works...You should try cleaning out your firing pin i bet that's the problem..

            Comment

            • #21
              MossbergMan
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2009
              • 1255

              Firing pin channel crud aside, this condition is also caused by crud on the firing pin block.
              If it's never been detail stripped, I'd also suspect a severe build up of crap under and around the firing pin block.
              Get it to an armorer. GSSF matches provide this service for free. find a match show up and get your gun evaluated.
              Larry Renner
              Plus (+) P Proficiency LLC
              NRA and CA. P.O.S.T certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Tactical Instructor.
              You never rise to the occassion, you only sink to your lowest level of training" Unknown.

              Comment

              • #22
                WolfmanJak
                Junior Member
                • Jan 2011
                • 50

                I've always used 99% isopropal alcohol on a q-tip. Just let it sit for a min so the stuff can evaporate and run a clean q-tip to make sure it is all gone.

                Put thousands and thousands of rounds through my glock with no problem.
                Originally Posted by CitaDeL
                You either support the right to own and carry a legally configured rifle or you do not-

                If rights were predicated upon the use of flawless judgement, we would either not exercise them in the abundance of caution or abandon those with whom we disagree. That is where we as gunowners are being used against each other. Ante up or anti up. You decide.

                Comment

                • #23
                  nothinghere2c
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2012
                  • 2259

                  Originally posted by HighLander51
                  OP, "I stripped it down, dumped a bunch of CLP down into the firing pin area, re-assembled it, racked it about 6 times, and it worked flawlessly again."

                  Well, all that could have happened is that the CLP loosened up all the crud and it got pushed out of the weep hole. Normally you want the striker bore and spot face to be dry, no lube anywhere near it or the striker pin. Was this factory ammo, or reloads?
                  all factory. i have not gotten into reloading yet. i believe you're correct the CLP probably broke up whatever crap was stuck in there.

                  gonna take it apart today and give it a good cleaning / DRYING

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    nothinghere2c
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • 2259

                    Originally posted by The Right to Bear Arms
                    OP: Glad to see you're back on track with the G23 aka God's gift to the modern pistol world.

                    Dude, how long have you had that G23?
                    i think maybe a year i've had this G23

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      timmyb21
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • 1814

                      Remove the striker, clean it of all lube, clean the striker channel of all lube, reassemble, enjoy your perfectly functioning Glock.
                      sigpic

                      George Washington didn't use the 1st amendment to defeat the British...he shot them.

                      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        m98
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2005
                        • 4088

                        F. U. D..........................glocks cant FAIL.......

                        ics or it didnt happen:

                        lol.....



                        j/k


                        glock ftf is the least i worry about......its glockleg that i worry..........but i think its just too much grease in the firing pin channel...nuthing to worry bout.
                        Last edited by m98; 12-27-2012, 12:06 PM.
                        "Screw U guys, I'm going home"...:the great Eric Cartman

                        10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Shenaniguns
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Dec 2006
                          • 6158

                          Originally posted by nothinghere2c
                          Ok my dudes, this threw me for a loop...

                          My bro has been deciding on which handgun he wanted to buy as his first, so I offered to let him shoot my Glock, 1911, M&P, etc.

                          Needless to say, I really like Glocks for their simplicity. I've never had an issue with it so I suggested he get a Glock or M&P (the grip on these are just too nice).

                          I explained everything to him, safe handling, how to grip it, etc.

                          He picked it up, chambered a round, and it went 'click.'

                          I said "hmm thats odd, rack it again"

                          He did, and it again went 'click.'

                          I looked at the primers, and it didn't even look like the pin hit it at all.

                          I got frustrated, and tried a few myself, all of which went 'click' with no bang. I stripped it down, dumped a bunch of CLP down into the firing pin area, re-assembled it, racked it about 6 times, and it worked flawlessly again.

                          What do you guys think? Has this happened to you? Do the firing pins get sticky or something in there? It made me nervous because this is usually my home defense go-to gun. Thank god I never had to use it.

                          Oh and please refrain from "glocks suck" comments

                          Well, maybe just a few for good measure.



                          Just another case of RTFM!!! The striker area is supposed to stay dry and relatively clean. Nothing needs to go in there except Q-tips to wipe them out.
                          My opinions are my own and do not represent the position of other companies I may be involved with.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            nothinghere2c
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2012
                            • 2259

                            thanks again for the info guys, i stripped the slide and there was tons of sticky grime from me using too much lube over the months.

                            i'm cleaning it out totally now.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1