Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Kimber Warrior vs. SA Operator !?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    leelaw
    Junior Member
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2005
    • 10445

    Originally posted by zcktomcat
    Go for the Springfield. The Kimber has a stupid magazine disconnect so you can't even rack the thing without a mag in it.
    LOL!

    What utter nonsense.

    Comment

    • #32
      Astig Boy
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2006
      • 1016

      As for the Schwartz safety, all you have to do is drop in a Series 70 firing pin and you now have completely disengaged the Schwartz safety.

      I own a Kimber Eclipse...and even I would pick the Springfield Operator over the Warrior.

      Comment

      • #33
        zcktomcat
        Member
        • Feb 2008
        • 215

        My friend just bought a new Kimber Warrior and it very much so has a magazine disconnect.
        "Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
        --Norman Schwarzkopf

        "Yesterday at the beginning of the ground war Iraq had the fourth largest army in the world. Today they have the second largest army in Iraq"
        -- Norman Schwazkopf

        Comment

        • #34
          slick_711
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2006
          • 4400

          Originally posted by zcktomcat
          My friend just bought a new Kimber Warrior and it very much so has a magazine disconnect.
          As a Kimber Master Dealer and self-proclaimed 1911 afficionado , I assure you sir, that you are mistaken. A magazine disconnect on a 1911 would require a complete redesign and would be pointless on a model that was already on the CA DOJ Safe Handgun list.

          Comment

          • #35
            Crazed_SS
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • 4114

            Another vote for the SA MC Operator. I have one and it has been virtually flawless. I have been extremely pleased with the reliability. I've used multiple brands of FMJ and JHP ammo in it and isnt hasnt skipped a beat. In addition to the reliability, it litterally shoots like a laser.
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #36
              VOD
              Junior Member
              • Aug 2007
              • 55

              I had a Kimber Custom II for quite some time until i shot an SA 1911. The next week i sold the Kimber and bought an MC and i love it. The only gripe i have is its weight, it is a fat boy but if you dont mind having some extra meat on you gun then go for it. Oh yea.. XD's rock too!

              Comment

              • #37
                ohsmily
                Calguns Addict
                • Apr 2005
                • 8996

                Originally posted by zcktomcat
                My friend just bought a new Kimber Warrior and it very much so has a magazine disconnect.
                Like I said before, what are you on? It doesn't very much so have a magazine disconnect. And, even if it did, magazine disconnects don't prevent the slide from being cycled, they prevent the gun from being fired without a magazine in the gun.

                You using that Jenkem stuff Soldier415 is always talking about?
                Expert firearms attorney: https://www.rwslaw.com/team/adam-j-richards/

                Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.

                Comment

                • #38
                  FallingDown
                  Member
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 435

                  I've shot both and both are comparable. If you like the feeling of one over the other, well that's just personal preference or finding a good deal.
                  Always in trouble for daring to point out that the emperor has no clothes.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    slick_711
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 4400

                    I'm bored so lets look at them point by point. Other than the finish & grips they're basically two companies' takes on the same pistol.

                    Barrel?

                    The Kimber is a Steel Match barrel. Sounds great huh? It shoots real well. The SA is a Stainless Steel Match barrel, it shoots great too, and it doesn't rust every chance it gets the way the Kimber barrels do. That's no **** either, most Kimber barrels are white steel, I've seen countless Kimber barrels rust just sitting on the shelves in the shop after some goon put his oily hands all over the barrel because he thought he knew how to test the fit of a 1911 and then it didn't get wiped down.

                    Sights?

                    3-dot low profile tritium in both. Irrelevant to comparison.

                    Frame & Slide?


                    Both steel. The SA is forged, but I'd imagine the Kimber is too so that's irrelevant. Both railed frames & GI guide rods. Also both beveled mag wells.

                    Both have flat checkered mainspring housings, although the Kimber's has a lanyard loop. That's sweet if you're in an honest to god combat zone. If you're not... well, it's your toy you play how you want but I reserve the right to laugh at mall ninjas.

                    The Kimber is a checkered front strap, while the SA comes with wraparound grips so it is not (+1 Kimber). This is functionally irrelevant if you leave the factory grips, but the checkering is an extra value and if added to the SA later you'd have to have it refinished.

                    Both have both front and rear slide serrations.

                    Neither of these pistols is ideal for CCW (though doable), but if you plan to carry it the Kimber is 3 oz. lighter. For your trigger time the SA being heavier is a positive. The benefit here depends on your intended use.

                    Finish?

                    Comparable. I prefer the aesthetics of the two-tone Armory Kote, and it's a little more unique. Both finishes hold up very well though, and aesthetics are a personal preference.

                    Misc Parts?


                    The two are near identical here... both are beavertail grip safeties & ambi thumb safeties, same style trigger & hammer, the SA hammer is ~1# heavier but just as crisp. The SA comes with 2 magazines to the Kimber's 1 (either are 7 rounders). This is paltry, you'll end up buying a slew of aftermarket mags for either, but I think it says something. I don't like the grips on either, but thats another thing that is 100% personal preference and fitting the pistol to yourself.

                    Warranty?

                    Springfield has an excellent lifetime warranty. Kimber has an excellent 1 year warranty. Any bugs would probably be worked out prior to that, and if not Kimber could certainly do work/repairs but you may end up covering it out of your pocket. As to whether or not they would need work? No firearms manufacturer is flawless. A few years back SA had a streak of poor quality control and a greater than normal number of their pistols came from the factory with issues. Unfortunately from what I've observed in sales & range use over the past few months Kimber seems to be going through a similar QC issue now. I wouldn't be terribly worried about it, as either factory would fix any defects, but the last thing you want to do with your brand new 1911 is send it back to the factory.

                    So?

                    The info above is mostly off the top of my head but I believe it's all correct. I'd go with the Springfield on the barrel & warranty differences alone. Plus, the Kimber apparently has a magazine disconnect and you can't even rack the slide without a magazine in it. But that's my personal opinion, and I've gotta admit I consider myself a Springfield guy. Either way they're both great pistols and you'll enjoy shooting whichever one you pick.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      aplinker
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Feb 2007
                      • 16762

                      Originally posted by zcktomcat
                      Go for the Springfield. The Kimber has a stupid magazine disconnect so you can't even rack the thing without a mag in it.
                      Either the slide wouldn't rack with an empty mag in it OR you tried to rack the slide with the safety on AND you're completely confused about the function of the 1911.

                      Regardless, you still get the FAIL. I might even say near epic proportions.

                      I'll add graphics for extra humiliation
                      Last edited by aplinker; 03-03-2008, 11:23 PM.

                      Google Map of OLL Dealers

                      List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
                      Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
                      This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        ghideon
                        Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • 403

                        The barrel on the TRP Operator is a bushingless bull barrel (MC Operator is a standard barrel). Does Kimber have one w/a bull barrel?

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          slick_711
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2006
                          • 4400

                          Originally posted by ghideon
                          The barrel on the TRP Operator is a bushingless bull barrel (MC Operator is a standard barrel). Does Kimber have one w/a bull barrel?
                          Not [a government model] that I know of. Although there are some of their models I've never bothered to research too much since they're not on the list.

                          And UCLAPlinker... I liked the original image better.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            randy
                            In Memoriam
                            • Nov 2006
                            • 4642

                            SA barrels are two piece on quite a few of their models.

                            Kimber uses MIM parts I don't know if SA does. MIM is good to keep costs down and makes a good part, but not as good as a fitted forged part.

                            Both guns are very nice flip a coin.
                            I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

                            When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              ghideon
                              Member
                              • Apr 2006
                              • 403

                              MIM is used (at least on the TRP Operator) for some small parts. Even the Pro has some small MIM parts.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                slick_711
                                Veteran Member
                                • Feb 2006
                                • 4400

                                A number of the SA barrels are two piece, that's no lie. I've yet to see one break though. Both companies use some MIM although SA doesn't admit it quite as loosely. I've seen very few of those parts break as well though so it's of little relevance.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1