Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Defending yourself from animals

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    21SF
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 3491

    You think it has too much recoil? I say not enough!! lol
    SA TRP Half rail, Glock 21SF, Spikes St-15, Ruger Alaskan .44, Saiga 7.62, GSSF Member
    Diablo Rod & Gun Club
    Originally posted by keenkeen
    "What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

    Comment

    • #47
      chozenfew805
      Calguns Addict
      • Jun 2010
      • 5008

      ....I will support and defend The Constitution of The United States of America...


      Comment

      • #48
        Brujo
        Member
        • Jun 2009
        • 231

        Please stay in doors...you'll be safer that way!

        Wow, I wonder if bears wonder what weapon they need when walking into my house?

        If you don't want to see a bear stay away from where they live. I grew up Three Rivers outside of Sequoia national park, still have land there. Bears in our garden and mulberry tree where a common occurrence as was seeing them on the trail. Unless you found a bear in a trashcan they are generally not aggressive...well at least not as aggressive as the OP asking what tool one needs to kill one.

        Now if you want to talk about dangerous animals you may meet in the woods, there is the two legged rattle snake, the Sierra Nevada tweeker, el Manuel Labor pot farmer, and me when I'm asking you if you can read the no trespassing sign next to the fence you just jumped.

        Comment

        • #49
          whipkiller
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2009
          • 3461

          Originally posted by Freq18Hz
          Don't take this the wrong way but: this is absolute fantasy, the outdoor man's version of mall ninja massive shootout. Your friend isn't hiking in the Congo, or in a central american jungle...

          To answer your question, I ran into a guy at a gun shop a few months back who recounted his tale of running into a large black bear (not in California), and put 4 rounds of .44 mag into the bear when it charged him. Bear did not die, eventually ran off after shot #4. Tell your friend to worry less about bears, and instead bring a compass and water so that when he gets lost search and rescue won't have to go find his ***.

          side note: I have personally been sick of the overwhelming amount of posts using insanely bad grammar and spelling on here the past 6 months or so. I'm glad this thread received appropriate responses, not to mention funny ones! I hope this trend continues I miss the more educated and humorous threads that have become scarse around here.

          -Freq
          Okay, I wouldn't call that "Insanely bad", but it still made me laugh.
          Too many hobbies, Too little time.

          Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...

          Comment

          • #50
            deadcoyote
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2010
            • 4002

            I had a black bear eating grass seed from the bag in my back yard about two weeks ago at 0300. I stood right next to it with a Glock 22 with a TLR-1 on it, then proceeded to give it a liberal spray with the old garden hose. It lumbered off without incident. I've lived in the far north of CA my whole life, had several bear run-ins, none of which went south at all. That's not to say it can't happen, just respect what you're dealing with and be prepared (mentally/and it helps to be armed).
            Buying a safe and sane firework is like paying a hooker for a hug. I do not see the appeal in it.

            Comment

            • #51
              M27
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2011
              • 871

              Originally posted by 21SF
              You think it has too much recoil? I say not enough!! lol
              don't knock me unless you have shot one

              while it is really fun to shoot

              you can have too much recoil in a defense situation.

              sight recovery with the Alaskan it 3 times as long as a full size 10mm
              I will share my opinion and my load data, BUT I am just a guy with too many cigars and too many guns. Whatever I say is probably wrong.

              Comment

              • #52
                UNLTD1487
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2011
                • 845

                Originally posted by willerfortheworld
                A glock 9mm will kill it, anything else will just piss it off.
                lol
                "Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do."

                Comment

                • #53
                  ElvenSoul
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 17431

                  25ACP
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    dangerranger
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2010
                    • 578

                    Originally posted by JeremyS
                    +1. He will not see a Grizzly in CA. Black bears are not much of a threat. Nearly nobody has been attacked to any degree in the past few decades, and only 3 people have ever died of a bear attack in California and 2 of those were movie/zoo bears (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._North_America <<< the very last one is the only fatal wild bear attack in CA and it was in 1875). He's more likely to get hit by a falling tree.

                    Same basic story with cougars, although attacks and deaths are actually more common than with bears. That does NOT make them common though haha, it just means it has actually happened in the last century (like 3-4 times).


                    Here's your vicious black bear





                    No reason to shoot one dead. Carry bear spray if he's paranoid about it. It's extremely effective and a lot less expensive. Doesn't leave much anything dead and there are no serious legal concerns about having it with you.
                    The woman shooting this video is an Idiot! when a bear is popping its jaws and making bluff charges It saying "Get away from me!" Shes going to end up like the hiker in Alaska that the only way they found out what happened to him is by the pics on his camera. It showed him trying to get closer to the bear for a better pic! and a short movie of him being eaten. DR

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      ssaction
                      Member
                      • Jul 2008
                      • 213

                      Originally posted by EddieEd

                      Biggest danger in Cali is the human type and the smallest like mosquitoes and ticks.
                      Agreed! But what caliber is best for mosquitoes and ticks?

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        sigstroker
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 19872

                        Bear spray? Better hope that bear attacks from downwind.

                        I don't know why the state database shows so few mountain lion attacks. There was one I specifically remember from several years ago that was semi-local, reported in the news, but it's not on the state list.

                        Yes, the most likely dangerous critter you'll meet is a human, but anything that will kill a bear or mountain lion will do in a human too.

                        BTW, carrying a weapon in National Parks is probably not allowed. I know they aren't allowed on National Monuments.

                        But the real answer is this, slung over your back - preferred carry in Alaska:

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          morfeeis
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 7605

                          Originally posted by JeremyS
                          +1. He will not see a Grizzly in CA. Black bears are not much of a threat. Nearly nobody has been attacked to any degree in the past few decades, and only 3 people have ever died of a bear attack in California and 2 of those were movie/zoo bears (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._North_America <<< the very last one is the only fatal wild bear attack in CA and it was in 1875). He's more likely to get hit by a falling tree.

                          Same basic story with cougars, although attacks and deaths are actually more common than with bears. That does NOT make them common though haha, it just means it has actually happened in the last century (like 3-4 times).


                          Here's your vicious black bear





                          No reason to shoot one dead. Carry bear spray if he's paranoid about it. It's extremely effective and a lot less expensive. Doesn't leave much anything dead and there are no serious legal concerns about having it with you.
                          It's from NJ, everything from there is a wimp.

                          On a side note, that lady is an idiot, she is poking a bear. That's the kind of person that ends up dead and everyone makes the same stupid statement, "he was always such a nice bear".
                          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
                          Originally posted by Ayn Rand
                          You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            morfeeis
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 7605

                            Originally posted by ssaction
                            Agreed! But what caliber is best for mosquitoes and ticks?
                            Nothing less then a RPG will do.
                            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
                            Originally posted by Ayn Rand
                            You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              marathonman
                              Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 169

                              For black bears, a whistle and flashlight will be plenty and multipurpose .

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                daspag
                                Junior Member
                                • Aug 2012
                                • 35

                                Originally posted by HighLander51
                                Where in Northern California does this grizzly bear exist? There hasn't been a grizzly in CA for at least 100 years. And your friend might be " attacj " by a bear? What is that language? Slovanian?
                                You'll find grizzly's ALL day long in wyoming/Montana "Yellowstone". But you better not get caught carrying a loaded firearm in there!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1