Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Colt 1911 " Rail Gun "

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jarhead
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • 2847

    Colt 1911 " Rail Gun "

    anyone have any experience with it? Critique ...............
  • #2
    21SF
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 3491

    I only have two things to say.

    Its off roster and I want it.
    SA TRP Half rail, Glock 21SF, Spikes St-15, Ruger Alaskan .44, Saiga 7.62, GSSF Member
    Diablo Rod & Gun Club
    Originally posted by keenkeen
    "What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

    Comment

    • #3
      John Browning
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2006
      • 8089

      I wouldn't buy a current Colt 1911 for half off. The have some major problems, even with zero maintenance you should be able to get 12,000 rounds down the tube without the thing destroying itself. Lucky for Colt, the quality of their government contacts and lobbyists exceeds that of their products.

      These rather interesting photos come from TEST REPORT FOR THE CLOSE QUARTERS BATTLE PISTOL (CQBP) BID SAMPLES, PHASE II and are of Colt test articles from t ...
      For Sale: Off Roster Handgun Moving Sale

      For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

      Originally posted by KWalkerM
      eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.

      Comment

      • #4
        Jarhead
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2007
        • 2847

        Seems after Iraq and Afghanistan the Marines prefer the .45ACP vs the 9MM.


        Originally posted by scobun
        I wouldn't buy a current Colt 1911 for half off. The have some major problems, even with zero maintenance you should be able to get 12,000 rounds down the tube without the thing destroying itself. Lucky for Colt, the quality of their government contacts and lobbyists exceeds that of their products.

        http://soldiersystems.net/2012/07/20...ing-colt-guns/

        Comment

        • #5
          John Browning
          Calguns Addict
          • May 2006
          • 8089

          Originally posted by Jarhead
          Seems after Iraq and Afghanistan the Marines prefer the .45ACP vs the 9MM.
          It seems that after the Phillipines, World War I, the Banana Wars, World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan they prefer the .45 to the .38/9mm. I'm sure there is a good reason why.

          I prefer the .45, but I sure would prefer it in something other than a modern Colt. If you're talking a Pre-1960 Colt, those are as nice as they get. What they churn out now isn't as good and far behind other competitors at the same price point.
          For Sale: Off Roster Handgun Moving Sale

          For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

          Originally posted by KWalkerM
          eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.

          Comment

          • #6
            jonzer77
            • Jul 2010
            • 8525

            I would ignore the Colt bashers on Calguns and go for it. I have more then a few of their new built guns and they have all been reliable and accurate. If it didn't cost so much for a railgun after SSE then I would grab one.
            Originally posted by barrage
            That's because Excelsior threads are like toilet bowls. They're made for crapping in and occasionally pissing on the side of.

            Comment

            • #7
              Jarhead
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2007
              • 2847

              Colt did get a Marine contract for 12,000 M45's ( Force Recon and SOC Units )

              Originally posted by scobun
              It seems that after the Phillipines, World War I, the Banana Wars, World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan they prefer the .45 to the .38/9mm. I'm sure there is a good reason why.

              I prefer the .45, but I sure would prefer it in something other than a modern Colt. If you're talking a Pre-1960 Colt, those are as nice as they get. What they churn out now isn't as good and far behind other competitors at the same price point.

              Comment

              • #8
                jcaoloveshine
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2007
                • 2654

                Honestly, for the $$ Colt wants I would pass.

                You can get a railed Sig for less, and I've been impressed with the features you get on a Sig 1911 for the price point. Normally those features (checkered frontstrap, checkered MSH, match trigger) are found on guns that cost more.

                Situs berisikan info menarik seputar resep masakan, dunia rumah, desain interior, kesehatan, kecantikan, kebugaran
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  alaokytrid
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2012
                  • 45

                  Originally posted by Jarhead
                  Colt did get a Marine contract for 12,000 M45's ( Force Recon and SOC Units )
                  That contract wasnt awarded based on product quality. Most of the colts that they tested had catastrophic failures, read the article linked above.

                  New colts are crap. Pick up a colt, shake it, it sounds like a glock. New 1911s have no reason to be that loose anymore.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    John Browning
                    Calguns Addict
                    • May 2006
                    • 8089

                    Originally posted by Jarhead
                    Colt did get a Marine contract for 12,000 M45's ( Force Recon and SOC Units )
                    ...and the guns tested so badly that the guys doing the tests had to whistle-blow and post up the pictures I linked to. If you've been in the military (I have, and I'm guessing you have, too) we know that the number of things the military gets right in procurement are roughly equal to the things they get wrong. Doesn't matter if it is underwear or the oxygen system on the F22, they screw it up all the time. Government contracts do not mean they had the best product.

                    A handgun should not destroy itself after 12,000 rounds. Of the five guns in the firing test, only one made it to 12,000 rounds without structural failure. The test was supposed to run to 15,000 rounds, but the brass (at the urging of Colt) stepped in and put a stop to the tests. That is inexcusable, especially when modern polymer handguns like the M&P or Glock can run 50,000 rounds without maintenance. Hell, even the WWII 1911a1s have certainly run into the hundreds of thousands of rounds with cleaning and no spring replacement.

                    I'm a Colt afficionado (see my avatar, that is one of the first hundred factory Colt cartridge conversions ever made...$$$$$$$$) and have MANY of their products. However, I'm not about to let a rollmark warp my brain. They got the contract because of their government contracts, not because of their product. I recently had $1100 to spend on my brothers 1911 as a gift. I bought a Dan Wesson, and Colt was never even a real consideration.
                    For Sale: Off Roster Handgun Moving Sale

                    For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

                    Originally posted by KWalkerM
                    eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      1911Luvr
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2010
                      • 1824

                      I have a Colt Railgun and was a POS out of the box! I've spent a lot of $$$$ on it to get it right and although I like it very much now, it was a poor value. I have since purchased a Springfield Armory MC Operator which is a much better built gun for similar money- except that the Springer is on the roster so there will be no SSE or CA premium for it.
                      I voted against Obama before it was cool.

                      Originally posted by 1911Luvr
                      I beg to differ. The full length dust cover rail makes a world of difference in the "when I run out of bullets I'm going to beat you to death with the pistol" look that causes bad guys to run in fear, and lesser men to feel inadequate. It looks just plain beastly and the extra heft up front does help manage recoil a bit better. Plus, an angel told me that when God called JMB to heaven it was to build him a full rail 1911!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        BBB114
                        Member
                        • Dec 2010
                        • 192

                        Colt rail gun

                        I have a Rail Gun and I love it. I did have a problem initially with failing to feed every now and then. I called Colt and told them of my problem and that it was unaccaptable as a duty gun. They emailed me a FEDEX label within 5 minutes and within 30 mins I was at the local fedex hub sending it back.

                        I received the pistol back in 2 weeks and have not had 1 malfunction in over 2500 rounds. Reloads, FJM, duty JHP, frangible.......it eats everything up.

                        I dont understand why people dump money into "fixing" a warranty issue. Thats why they give you a warranty, and they stand by it. If it doesnt work, send it back.

                        I also have a Springfield MC Operator. It is also a great gun, but its annoying that Springfield sets them all up at a 6 O'Clock hold causing you to print high at around 12- 15 yards......possibly missing a head shot.

                        The Colt is easier to disassemble / assemble due to parts fit for me.

                        Boyan

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          wash
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Aug 2007
                          • 9011

                          That Colt in the trials had failures for three reasons, #1 stress risers caused by a sharp corner milled in to the frame at the rail, #2, stress risers caused by forward cocking serrations with sharp inside corners running over the end of the slide rail cut and #3, not changing the recoil spring which is a wear part and allows slide and frame battering when worn out.

                          If they changed springs at 5,000 round intervals, the other two problems might not show up. They still should have not built major stress risers in to the design.

                          I don't know why it hasn't been fixed.
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by oaklander
                          Dear Kevin,

                          You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
                          Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            locosway
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 11346

                            My XSE has run 100%, while not a rail gun, it is a new Colt.
                            OCSD Approved CCW Instructor
                            NRA Certified Instructor
                            CA DOJ Certified Instructor
                            Glock Certified Armorer

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              John Browning
                              Calguns Addict
                              • May 2006
                              • 8089

                              Originally posted by wash
                              That Colt in the trials had failures for three reasons, #1 stress risers caused by a sharp corner milled in to the frame at the rail, #2, stress risers caused by forward cocking serrations with sharp inside corners running over the end of the slide rail cut and #3, not changing the recoil spring which is a wear part and allows slide and frame battering when worn out.

                              If they changed springs at 5,000 round intervals, the other two problems might not show up. They still should have not built major stress risers in to the design.

                              I don't know why it hasn't been fixed.
                              Just to be clear, it wasn't "that" Colt, it was 80% of the trials guns that did that. You're right on the changes that need to be made. However, I've seen 1911a1s with recoil springs a full inch+ shorter than stock new ones. I have no idea how many rounds that takes, but my guess is a lot. The frames and slides were still fine, even though they were beat up. My bet is that these new slides and frames are cast as well as having the stressors you mention.
                              For Sale: Off Roster Handgun Moving Sale

                              For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

                              Originally posted by KWalkerM
                              eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1