I'm absolutely open to getting a used Glock. I'd probably go with a 17 though. Probably less common than the 19, as far as LEO trade in options go. Thanks again for all the birthday wishes, and the suggestions!
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
So, I turned 21 today.
Collapse
X
-
Radical Centerist (That's me) Philosophy:Originally posted by Unknown"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown (possibly Tim Moen)
Legislator "logic":Originally posted by AllhailflintlocksGun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.Originally posted by DezratBefore long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters..... -
River City Gun Exchange has used agency trade ins of G19s and G22s for $399 with night sights.
I got one and am very pleased with the results.
Another option for an inexpensive gun is a Sig P2022.
I saw them last month at Wild Sports brand new for $369 with 1 magazine.
As far as the Glock grip goes...I know how you feel. Just holding it in the store it felt inferior to the competition (M&Ps, XDs, Ruger SR series), but shooting them is another ballgame.
They feel crappy to hold, but they feel great to shoot.
Weird, I know.Last edited by Mossy Man; 10-02-2012, 9:25 PM.Comment
-
Springfield XD9, I like mine and its been reliable. Ruger SR9/SR9c are both great guns as well.Comment
-
I am really into the tokarev. Cheap ammo, well under your price range, cool history.
Its not really a star wars space blaster, but don't think its not a viable self defense option.Comment
-
Happy birthday. First off, I own three Glocks:
- 21SF Gen 3 (.45 ACP)
- 30SF Gen 3 (.45 ACP)
- 26 Gen 4 (9mm)
I probably shot about 5000 rounds through my Glock 21SF , 500 rounds through my Glock 30SF and about 1000 rounds through my Glock 26 Gen4. I went through the police academy with the Glock 21SF and it is my current duty sidearm. My Glock 30SF and 26 Gen4 are my off-duty sidearms. I trust all three firearms with my life.
In my opinion, having a Glock as your very first handgun is an excellent idea. First off, they are easy to maintain. They are easy to field strip and clean. Second, they are super reliable when clean and dirty. I haven't heard of anyone having any issues with their Glocks. With the cost of ammunition these days, 9mm is a great choice. The rounds are cheap and effective as a defensive purposes. As for which 9mm Glock model to choose, I would say get something that has a rail so you can attach a light (If you are thinking about using this as a home defense gun). If you don't plan on putting a light on it, I would say get one with a rail anyway. You might/will change your mind in the future. I would recommend a Surefire X300 (LED light only) or the X400 (if you desire a light/red laser combo) with a DG pressure switch.
I am actually tempted to purchased a Glock 17 just because they can carry 17 rounds in a high cap magazine."All cops have to make judgment calls they hope they won't regret. No cop ever bats a thousand." - Southland
"The only reason you're still conscious is because I don't want to carry your body." - Jack Bauer
Colt / Glock / Kimber / Kriss / LWRC / Remington / Ruger / Smith & Wesson / SpringfieldComment
-
If you like the G17 Grip better... Have you thought of getting the G19 with a grip extension.
I have a G19 with a grip extension (basicallly using G17 size mags with a rubber extension on the end) it gets it the same size as a G17 Grip without the G17 length. Also allows you go to compact again pretty easy with normal mags.
Another option is pearce grip exntension which allow your pinky to rest on something.
Just mentioning it since you said you might get your CCW permit and I think the G19 would be a better CCW option then.Comment
-
First off Happy Birthday, under the $500 range like other have said, Glock, XD and the Sig SP2022. If you shop around and be patient, deals come up. I got an XD 9mm for $399 (plus tax & DROS) and I can find Glock 17's for $499 as an everyday price.
If you do get your BSIS permits (gc & firearms) then you qualify for Glock's blue line program. Find a shop that participates and you can get a G17 for around $360 with three mags.
Hope this helps._██_
(ಠ_ృ) riveting tale, chap.Comment
-
Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!
First of all I love gloack and you cant go wrong with having a glock, I have a gen 4 22 and a gen 3 27. In .40 yes but you cant go wrong with a glock. 9mm is a great round and good of you to look into it before buying a firearm. I would try going to local ranges and renting some of there firearms and friends friearms before buying a firearm. Also, you said you want to do armed guard, just a suggestion when you get your firearms permit get it for a .40. A lot of places do not want anything smaller than a .40 or they require a .40. Just something to remember. And if you end up with a glock dont change anything out until its broken in, and never change out the trigger pull. Break it is and get used to it.Comment
-
Happy Birthday.
Here are some of pistol within the same budget of a Glock I would recommend.
First, the usual. Glock/XD/M&P. The popular 3 are equal in quality and price.
Steyr M-A1. If you like Glock, you will love Steyr.

Sig 2022. Pretty common these days and easy to find deals.

Taurus 92. Only semi Taurus I recommend people to.

Beretta 92. A bit harder to find one in same price range as Glock (in CA at least). But look in used gun market.

CZ 75. It's getting harder to find one in same price as Glock now, but just few years ago, these were going below Glock price.

And of course, Glocks are never a wrong answer.
Taiwan born, Chinese descent, red white and freaking blue America citizen.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.Comment
-
Happy Birthday!
The Glock 17 is an awesome gun. For something a little bit cheaper, the full size Ruger SR9 should be a consideration. They can be had brand new for close to $500.00.
You said you have big hands, so try the Beretta M9/92FS, though they are a little bit more expensive than the other two aforementioned brands. One thing I like about the Beretta is the superbly refined " feel ".
Good luck!Comment
-
Happy Birthday!
Don't buy a gun until you've at least tried a CZ-75.==================
sigpic
Remember to dial 1 before 911.
Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.
There. Are. Four. Lights!Comment
-
Happy birthday.
Not a huge fan of alcohol, and I have work and school during the week, so I'll probably not drink for a while. Not while I have a job AND exams.
Anyway that's not the point. I went to my local gun store, and did the Hand Gun Safety Certification test. It was common sense stuff of course, and I got 30/30.
Now I can legally purchase a handgun, assuming I have the money... So I start my fund. I also have my CCW appointment set for January 26.
Anyway I went to the gun store today, excited to hold a few different guns (Apparently I've got to be 21 to hold them... But that's not an issue anymore). I've had a very limited experience shooting pistols, though I very much enjoyed shooting the few that I have. My experiences have been positive, and my marksmanship is better than I thought it would be. I can easily hit a man sized target at 100 yards with a 1911, and I imagine a 9mm would not be much different.
I've decided on 9MM because the price for the ammunition is reasonable, yet it still serves as a useful and capable self defensive round. You can of course put in your thoughts on that choice, though unless there is some substantial reason to use something different, I probably won't change my mind.
I had thought (and done much research) and pretty much come to the conclusion (before today) that I would get a Glock 19. Reliable, median priced, and it was supposed to be pretty comfortable for most people. Well, out of the guns that I felt today, I was surprised that the Glock 19 was the least comfortable. The Colt 1911 was nice, but it quite a bit out of my price range for the foreseeable future. The Beretta PX4 Storm felt nice in my hand, but the trigger pull was almost unbearable. Then I felt the Glock 17. It was obviously larger than the 19, but it fit my hand almost perfectly (I guess I have reasonably large hands), and felt great.
I'm still open to trying out different guns, and I'd like to feel how the gun shoots before buying it, but it definitely felt comfortable in my hand, and I'm confident I could use it to defend myself or my family, if the need arose.
Any input for other potential guns to try (Please DO include other calibers (45, .40, etc), as long as they are reasonably priced). I'm looking in the $300-$500 range (out the door) for the gun, and I would definitely consider buying used, assuming the model has a good track record.
I would also appreciate tips to reasonably priced guns (particularly of the Glock 17 flavor).
If you have any particular experiences with the Glock 17 that you would like to share, feel free.
I'm just happy to be 21.
Don't buy a glock. There are better guns out there that don't need replacement parts. Do your research and find what fits and shoots best for you. I'm just sick of people getting a glock to get a glock. Te only reason they know its reliable is they hear about it an read the manufacturers website, which is biased.
Try something else first.Originally posted by Jimi JahI punch paper only because it is illegal to punch people.Originally posted by elpaisa1I think flatulence is a more serious crime. I think it should be a misdemeanor with a 1000 dollar fine or 6 months of jail. It should be a felony if done near an open flame.
Originally posted by Euphoria526I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself
Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,546
Posts: 25,148,910
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,901
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 17921 users online. 116 members and 17805 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment