Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.22 for self defense

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    shecky
    Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 159

    Originally posted by xenophobe
    A nice sharp knife is better than a .22.
    Doesn't even need to be all that sharp.
    LIVE FREE AND DIE ANYWAY

    Comment

    • #17
      metalhead357
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2006
      • 5546

      Originally posted by xenophobe
      A nice sharp knife is better than a .22.
      +1: certainly true IF one knows how to use the pig sticker AND the other guy is UNarmed... I dunno about you guys but I dont wanna take on some chump armed with either a gun, a Big A** Club or something along those lines with me *only* armed with a knife----- Sepurchura anyone? LOL!
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered....
      I am not a number! I am a free man

      1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
      2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
      3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep

      Comment

      • #18
        xenophobe
        In Memoriam
        • Jan 2006
        • 7069

        all you need to do is learn how to slash back and fourth....

        If you've ever seen what a slash wound looks like, it looks a LOT worse than a gunshot.

        Comment

        • #19
          bear308
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2006
          • 849

          Originally posted by xenophobe
          A nice sharp knife is better than a .22.
          yeah what about a really big stick.
          NRA - Life Member
          Head ***** @ Firing-Line Burbank.
          Firing-Line Indoor Ranges
          If you have suggestions, comments, or complaints, feel free to contact me at info at burbankrange.com

          Comment

          • #20
            xYourLocalAR15x
            Member
            • Jan 2006
            • 409

            Originally posted by laabstract
            A not so friendly family member of mine was shot 7 times with a .22 and he still lived. Yet i have heard of people dying from a single shot of a .22 Its all about shot placement not the caliber.

            Hmm... was this person getting into his car in the morning to go to work? Someone came up to the window and started shooting, got one round in the forearm rest body shots? got out of the car and started chasing the shooter? I just ask because i know of someone that went through this

            Comment

            • #21
              kurac
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • 2917

              Calico made a .22 that came with a 50 round or 100 round magazine. They also made a 9mm based on the same concept.
              www.culinagrips.com
              "custom grips for shooters by shooters"

              Comment

              • #22
                Wild Bill
                Member
                • Feb 2004
                • 285

                I don't know about you, but if someone comes at me in my home with a knife. They are going to be looking at a load of double 00 buck coming from the business end of a 12 gauge.
                ________________________
                Originally posted by PatriotnMore
                I must have a battle crap every morning after drinking my first cup of coffee.
                SEMPER FI !
                Originally posted by AlliedArmory
                CNN reporter interviewing a Marine sniper asked, "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?"

                The Marine shrugged: "Recoil!"
                "Obama lies and grandma dies!"
                sigpic
                NRA Member and NRA Certified Rifle Instructor. Member of CRPA, GOA and SAF.

                Comment

                • #23
                  onley11
                  Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 224

                  Originally posted by bear308
                  yeah what about a really big stick.
                  Ah, but a 6" Vaquero Grande is legal as pie, and while a pistol is usually a misdemenor, a club is a felony.

                  They're harder to carry around concealed too...

                  Comment

                  • #24

                    a .22 looks like a gun, easily confused with something bigger.

                    a confident hand and a hit with a .22 beat a miss with anything else.

                    many other calibers would be better, sure, but a .22 will work.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Buckelew
                      Junior Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 69

                      Wife is small and not a lot of hand strength. Tough for her to pull back the slide on anything other than a .22.

                      I've always told her, when I'm out of town, slap a full slip into her .22, chamber a round, and put it in the bedside table when going to bed. (lock it back up in the morning). Anyone comes in - empty the whole clip into the person breaking in -THEN call 911.

                      It's better than nothing. If they keep coming, throw cats at them.

                      Think I'll look for a snubnose .38 or a PPK/S

                      The .22's we have - never fail to fire. Kept clean, polished ramps, and thousands of rounds through them. They don't FTF anymore. Still, nothing beats a wheelgun for reliability.

                      I just need to find a larger caliber that has a recoil she'll put up with.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        socalsteve
                        Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 274

                        sounds like this poster was talking of a .22 rifle at 15- 17 rnds..

                        For a .22 for self defense I might consider the S&W 351PD

                        7 rnds of .22 mag and under 11oz

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          asintado
                          Member
                          • Feb 2006
                          • 450

                          Originally posted by Buckelew

                          I just need to find a larger caliber that has a recoil she'll put up with.
                          Try .32 H&R or .380. You can always pick up a ruger revolver in .32 H&R and there are a ton of .380 autos out there (Bersa, PPK, CZ83, & other out of business saturday night specials). I saw a davis .380 at my FFLs store for 149. But if your wife is still content on .22 think about CCI Stinger round or hollow points since every bit counts. If you had a .22 revolver you could load that up w/ the CCI shotshell round.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            laabstract
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 1960

                            I wouldnt mind a .17HMR for defense thats a wicked little round.
                            In memory of Ricky Lee Turner, January 16th 2009 Baghdad Iraq

                            In memory of Rogelio Antonio Ramirez, August 26th 2007
                            Saqlawiyah Iraq

                            "most people quick to go to war haven't seen it."-
                            unknown

                            Check out my YouTube page
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/DJCBX/videos

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              ~Scott~
                              Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • 100

                              Originally posted by laabstract
                              I wouldnt mind a .17HMR for defense thats a wicked little round.
                              Comes out screamin'

                              Fun little target round....

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                TrailerparkTrash
                                Veteran Member
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 4249

                                Originally posted by bear308
                                ...I don't even think you can hunt animals above twelve pounds with it in Cal...
                                Off topic here, but after reading something on this post, I feel compelled to clarify some misinformation.

                                No disrespect, but sometimes when I read something, it makes me ask, "where in the world did one get that information from????"

                                That quoted statement is completely untrue. You can hunt ANY listed "predator", "non-game" and "small game mammal" animal with a rimfire in Cali (i.e. Grey Fox, bobcat, coyote, skunks, possums, rabbits, squirels, etc....).

                                One just can not hunt a large game mammal (deer, elk, bear, boar etc...) with a RIMFIRE round. Any .22cal CENTERFIRE round is perfectly legal in California. Bird hunting is a different story that doesn't apply here.

                                Check out the CA hunting regs and look under "method of take" for each category of animal you are planning on hunting.

                                Animal weight and caliber has nothing to do with California game and non-game hunting regulations.
                                Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 03-13-2006, 4:17 AM.
                                sigpic

                                It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

                                -ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1