Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

9mm HD ammo

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Brandon04GT
    In Memoriam
    • Feb 2011
    • 3016

    Can anyone school in me in a couple sentences about what are the best weights to go for in 9mm? I just got my first 9mm and I mostly only have experience with 45's. Is there a general preferance as to what weight is best? Kind of like how most people like to stick with 230gr in 45 but some go 185gr.

    I don't want +P or bonded ammo for my 9 and I noticed that the Win Ranger T's only come in 147gr for non-bonded, standard pressure JHP.

    Comment

    • #32
      peacedivision
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2012
      • 1717

      Running 147gr golden sabers at the moment.

      Comment

      • #33
        JeremyS
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2010
        • 2014

        Originally posted by Bug Splat
        Well, the Critical Defense seems to be loved right now.
        Critical Duty has basically replaced it for "duty" use where it may have to penetrate barriers, etc. It's the "professional" version of Critical Defense, which was designed for civilians. They ARE different and they do perform differently for sure.




        That said, I'm using Federal HST 147 grn. I think it's as good as anything on the market and the price is very reasonable. 50-round box from ammunitiontogo is $29.95.
        Escaped to WA

        sigpic

        My YouTube Channel

        Comment

        • #34
          theneko
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2008
          • 1173

          Originally posted by Brandon04GT
          Can anyone school in me in a couple sentences about what are the best weights to go for in 9mm? I just got my first 9mm and I mostly only have experience with 45's. Is there a general preferance as to what weight is best? Kind of like how most people like to stick with 230gr in 45 but some go 185gr.

          I don't want +P or bonded ammo for my 9 and I noticed that the Win Ranger T's only come in 147gr for non-bonded, standard pressure JHP.
          Most people recommend the mid-range weights for the caliber so 124g in 9mm - it feeds well and expands well. The 147g velocities aren't always sufficient as someone mentioned above but you will always have people say "bigger is better" and will only shoot 147g.

          For .45 ACP 230g is usually recommended as the 1911 was designed for it.
          TheNeko

          Comment

          • #35
            Legasat
            Intergalactic Member
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Mar 2009
            • 4151

            Speer Gold Dots, Federal HST, or Rangers.
            ..

            .........STGC(SW)


            SAF Life Member

            sigpic
            NRA Benefactor

            Comment

            • #36
              Mr. Beretta
              Calguns Addict
              • Dec 2005
              • 6614

              Originally posted by Red Devil


              100%

              Comment

              • #37
              • #38
                J.D.Allen
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2010
                • 2340

                Originally posted by Brandon04GT
                Can anyone school in me in a couple sentences about what are the best weights to go for in 9mm? I just got my first 9mm and I mostly only have experience with 45's. Is there a general preferance as to what weight is best? Kind of like how most people like to stick with 230gr in 45 but some go 185gr.

                I don't want +P or bonded ammo for my 9 and I noticed that the Win Ranger T's only come in 147gr for non-bonded, standard pressure JHP.
                Again...just pick something from the list. All the bullets on the list have been tested extensively and are adequate for defensive use.

                That said, generally speaking the 147 is going to penetrate more than 124 or 115. But that can change based on the bullet design and velocity. For example most bonded rounds will penetrate more but expand less than non bonded rounds. Notice there is only 1 115 gr. round on that list, because most 115's lack sufficient penetration. Each bullet is going to be slightly different as far as penetration and expansion but all of those on the list are adequate in both categories.

                As far as pressures are concerned, I like to stick to standard pressure rounds so as not to cause excess wear on the weapon. That said I'm currently using Golden Sabre 124 +P bonded bullets because I was able to pick up a bunch of them at a decent price a while ago and I know they feed reliably in my gun.

                Not sure what you have against bonded bullets, they tend to perform better against intermediate barriers, but to each his own...

                Comment

                • #39
                  CK_32
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 14369

                  I'm a fan of anything with ranger or gold in the name. At least from the research I have in HD ammo.

                  But my 17 has a few mags stuffed with "cop killers" if the time comes.


                  **disclaimer I do not mean for killing cops.. Some of the older guys will know what I'm referring to**
                  Last edited by CK_32; 09-04-2012, 3:55 PM.
                  For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                  What's Your Caliber??


                  My Youtube channel

                  Comment

                  • #40
                    zfields
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 13658

                    Originally posted by INFAMOUS762X39
                    I recently picked up two boxes of Hornady Critical Defense FTX. 115GR 9mm and 185GR .45 AUTO
                    Two boxes? That isnt enough to even begin to test for reliability.
                    Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings : Custom Paracord slings

                    10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!

                    Comment

                    • #41
                      Freagan
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2008
                      • 4564

                      Federal HST 124gr +P
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #42
                        tradecraft
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2008
                        • 4630

                        I use and sell Federal HST 147gr (for around .40/rd it's a good value compared to some of the other stuff). I ran at least a few hundred rounds through my bedside gun before I was satisfied that it was GTG.

                        edit: numbers were off - mixed it up with some other ammo
                        Last edited by tradecraft; 09-07-2012, 11:07 AM.
                        Link to my feedback: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...ser-tradecraft

                        Comment

                        • #43
                          SeanCasey
                          Now in AZ
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 1562

                          Originally posted by JohnP
                          Is regular range ammo really that bad? I use jhp too, but I'm guessing bad guys would still fall down if I put two range rounds center mass
                          The problem with FMJ is that your are much more likely to have over penetration. The expansion in HP rounds not only increase the damage potential but slows the round down significantly as it travels through the body.

                          Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
                          -Sean Casey

                          Comment

                          • #44
                            ainako
                            Junior Member
                            • May 2012
                            • 66

                            no federal 9bp love?

                            Comment

                            • #45
                              tbhracing
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2008
                              • 5523

                              A lot of people are saying Critical Defense in their postings. I went with the CRITICAL DUTY 9mm round that is supposed to be the upgrade. Its all the rage right now in the NRA magazine and other publications.

                              Last edited by tbhracing; 09-07-2012, 8:15 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1