Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Need some help picking my first 1911

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Mobius38
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 1180

    There are jsut so many choices that it is confusing. I think I am gonna get that TRP. Now onto another question. Upgrades. If I am looking at things to upgrade (everyones does this) what is worth while as an upgrade?

    Comment

    • #32
      BoJackUSMC
      Calguns Addict
      • Aug 2010
      • 7091

      TRP model.... not much to upgrade.. excellent gun from out of the box.

      Comment

      • #33
        Press Check
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2011
        • 4879

        Originally posted by Mobius38
        There are jsut so many choices that it is confusing. I think I am gonna get that TRP. Now onto another question. Upgrades. If I am looking at things to upgrade (everyones does this) what is worth while as an upgrade?
        Honestly, there's not much to upgrade. Springfield's Tactical Response Pistol is just a few marks off from a Springfield Professional.

        I guess you could switch to a Smith and Alexander Magazine Guide and have SACS fit it, maybe have the front strap undercut, have the top of slide serrated, etc., but as far as actual upgrades, the TRP is GTG right out of the box. From there, you'd personalize it as opposed to upgrade it.

        Comment

        • #34
          MA2
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2009
          • 1129

          Replacement flat trigger.
          2 piece infinity, if you want to go fancy.

          Comment

          • #35
            Press Check
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2011
            • 4879

            Originally posted by BoJackUSMC
            I love my Springfield 1911 A1... just came back from Place to Shoot today...
            650 rounds through her today
            Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's just the picture, but your rollmark seems slightly off center.

            Comment

            • #36
              wash
              Calguns Addict
              • Aug 2007
              • 9011

              Springfield receivers come from Imbel in Brazil.

              There is nothing wrong with that, they make a good FAL at Imbel and their 1911s are fine.

              I've seen good Kimbers and I know of an FFL that won't carry them because he ordered one for a police officer and new in box it couldn't pass a function test.

              When you get down to it, unless you are buying a full custom 1911, you're paying for the parts that are in it rather than custom features, reliability work or accuracy.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by oaklander
              Dear Kevin,

              You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
              Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.

              Comment

              • #37
                MRbaker
                Member
                • Jan 2012
                • 148

                I bought a Springfield Loaded Lightweight for my first 1911 (Imbel frame) and couldn't be happier. It seemed to be the best value and is very well made.

                Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

                Comment

                • #38
                  absinthe49
                  Junior Member
                  • Feb 2012
                  • 24

                  Glad to hear you are checking out the 1911 style pistols. Before I got my Kimber TLE II in about 2003... I had owned maybe 5 different "modern" guns (glocks, berettas, sigs etc). Once I got the Kimber... I never looked back. Having the single stack magazine gives the grip a very narrow profile and fits the hand very nicely. The trigger is fantastically crisp when compared to many other guns. I don't think I will ever own another modern style handgun unless it is to be cheap and have a backup of some sort.

                  Just some notes on my experience... the Kimber shot very well for the first 200 rounds using the included mag (I think they use chip mccormick). I bought a pair of Wilson Combat mags and suddenly started getting malfunctions every 80th round or so. Was kinda depressed. I then bought some Cobra Mags and didn't have another malfunction for maybe 1500 rounds. So do be aware that 1911s can be picky on a magazine.. or rather... your particular 1911 can be picky. Plenty of people swear by the WC mags and have no issues with their particular gun.

                  As far as upgrades... if you are left handed.. you will want an ambi safety. These don't normally drop in... some fitting is involved. The front strap being checkered is something I would always want. The extended mag well is nice for looks.. particularly with 8 round mags. 8 rounders tend to stick out of the magazine well and doesn't look quite right. Some say you wouldn't want the extended mag well for carry as it lengthens the grip. You might want to check out brownells.com and download their 1911 catalog... you should be able to see most of the available upgrades there (just keep in mind that not all parts/gun combinations are drop in... they may need fitting). Also... check out one of the 1911 forums. 1911forum.com has lots of activity but some don't like the mods there for various reasons. m1911.org also has a forum but it seems like it doesn't have as much traffic as the former. The pics threads might help you see what you like.

                  I recently purchased a Les Baer Custom Carry and that will be my new baby. One thing that bothered me about the Kimber was that it has proprietary parts. The schwartz style safety has a pin that you can only buy from them, costs more than a dollar and can be potentially sheared off. It might be a consideration that is uses all standard parts. I don't know if anyone still makes series 80 1911s... but they are known for messing with trigger pull.

                  Welcome to the 1911 family

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Press Check
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2011
                    • 4879

                    Originally posted by wash
                    Springfield receivers come from Imbel in Brazil.

                    There is nothing wrong with that, they make a good FAL at Imbel and their 1911s are fine.
                    Yes, they certainly do, but not all of the final machining is completed in Brazil. GI models are completely finished in Brazil, in addition to a generous amount of the Mil-Spec Models. Some Loaded models are fnished there as well, but most Loaded models that I've seen have NM receivers, and have the final machining completed in the US.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      wash
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Aug 2007
                      • 9011

                      Checkered front strap is a very personal thing, really all the ergonomics are personal so try before you buy.
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by oaklander
                      Dear Kevin,

                      You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
                      Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Press Check
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2011
                        • 4879

                        Originally posted by absinthe49
                        As far as upgrades... if you are left handed.. you will want an ambi safety. These don't normally drop in... some fitting is involved. The front strap being checkered is something I would always want. The extended mag well is nice for looks.. particularly with 8 round mags. 8 rounders tend to stick out of the magazine well and doesn't look quite right. Some say you wouldn't want the extended mag well for carry as it lengthens the grip. You might want to check out brownells.com and download their 1911 catalog... you should be able to see most of the available upgrades there (just keep in mind that not all parts/gun combinations are drop in... they may need fitting).
                        The TRP that he asked about already has those features.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          Javierv73
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2011
                          • 863

                          I was in the same boat as you last week and I decided on a S.A. stainless Mil-Spec I can't wait to get it.
                          Go with the Springfield DO IT!

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            absinthe49
                            Junior Member
                            • Feb 2012
                            • 24

                            Originally posted by SOCOM1
                            The TRP that he asked about already has those features.
                            Well... since this thread started two days ago... and he only said "I think I am gonna get that TRP" about two hours ago... I figured it wasn't set in stone that he was going to purchase a TRP and was only interested in upgrades for that particular gun.

                            Besides... the brownells catalog will let him see for himself what is available.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              klikoman
                              Member
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 168

                              Ria tactical cause it was my first 1911.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1