Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Kel-Tec PF9 vs Ruger LC9

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • morrcarr67
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jul 2010
    • 15053

    Kel-Tec PF9 vs Ruger LC9

    OK, Which one do you have and why did you buy that one over the other?

    And, how do you like it now that you've had it for a while?



    Last edited by morrcarr67; 02-08-2012, 4:46 PM.
    Yes you can have 2 C&R 03 FFL's; 1 in California and 1 in a different state.

    Originally posted by Erion929
  • #2
    InGrAM
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 3699

    The pf-9 is much smaller than the ruger. My father owns one and it has been very finicky with a lot of different types of ammo well passed its 200 round break in period. But, when we put ammo through it (that it likes) such as silver bear, tulammo, or other cheap ammo types it works wonderfully.

    The pf-9 is also very cheap. It was just over $300 after tax, dros, etc.

    I only have experience holding the Ruger.

    Comment

    • #3
      skyscraper
      Calguns Addict
      • Feb 2011
      • 5198

      I have a pf9. Like it but im selling it because I use a full size 1911 for carry. I've only shot winchester and federal through it but without any problems. I cant speak for the LC9.

      Comment

      • #4
        stix213
        AKA: Joe Censored
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Apr 2009
        • 19002

        I own a PF-9 I got not too long ago. Its lighter than the LC9 (under 13oz without the mag on my scale). CA says no to the PF-9, so I say YES.

        Also... friends don't let friends buy defensive handguns with a magazine disconnect

        I like the gun a lot.
        Last edited by stix213; 02-08-2012, 7:08 PM.

        Comment

        • #5
          FNH5-7
          Calguns Addict
          • Sep 2009
          • 9407

          While I do not own either of those I had this exact same question.

          I narrowed it down to PF9, LC9 or Kahr CW9. I went with the Kahr, here's why:










          Those guys have first hand experience with Keltecs.

          Originally posted by stix213
          I own a PF-9 I got not too long ago. Its lighter than the LC9 (under 13oz without the mag on my scale). CA says no to the PF-9, so I say YES.
          So the op should also consider SSE fees unless he is exempt. This could quickly add up to be equal or higher in price to a handgun of better quality.
          Last edited by FNH5-7; 02-08-2012, 7:14 PM.
          Originally posted by FalconLair
          I weep for my country and what it is becoming.

          Comment

          • #6
            kedenimar
            Member
            • Jul 2009
            • 240

            keltec=good experience

            i own the P11, have put hundreds of rounds thru it, along with other family members(adult kids,son shoots really well with the gun). never any issues, nothing broken, no jams, FTE's, nothing. buy with confidence.
            But God has made clear his love to us, in that, when we were still sinners, Christ gave his life for us.
            Romans 5:8

            Comment

            • #7
              morrcarr67
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jul 2010
              • 15053

              Thanks for the input guys.
              Yes you can have 2 C&R 03 FFL's; 1 in California and 1 in a different state.

              Originally posted by Erion929

              Comment

              • #8
                InGrAM
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2010
                • 3699

                Originally posted by kedenimar
                i own the P11, have put hundreds of rounds thru it, along with other family members(adult kids,son shoots really well with the gun). never any issues, nothing broken, no jams, FTE's, nothing. buy with confidence.
                I also have a p-11, great gun. I use it as a daily CC gun. It is a different animal than the pf-9 though.

                OP: you might want to look at the p-11.

                Comment

                • #9
                  BrokerB
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 5460

                  I use a lc9 - carry it daily in a cros sbreed iwb supertuck . Is excellent and very comfortable . Over400rounds so far no issue . Magazine disconnect is easily removed so i don't cry about that. I have 3 magazines for it. I do nite have the crimson trace on it. Its not useful in my opinion
                  Beans and Bullets

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Freq18Hz
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • 1243

                    I've shot the LC9. It was surprisingly comfortable, and the trigger was smooth even if the pull was on the long side.

                    The magazine disconnect and the tiny safety is the thing that keeps me on the fence on buying.

                    -Freq

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      chim-chim7
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 1845

                      Don't have experiance with the K-T, but my wife purchased a LC9 3 months ago and trains with it every couple weeks. It's been flawless so far. The DA pull is a bit long, but like anything else you get used to it. We have no plans to install the hammer upgrade. We feel it is reliable enough to be carried daily.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        CJJohn
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2010
                        • 1216

                        I have shot the KT and went with the LC9 instead. The trigger is very long, but is also very smooth. I have well over 1200 rounds through mine and zero issues. I typically carry a 1911 ccw, but the LC9 is a close second. I made a holster for it IWB and it just about disappears. I don't carry with the safety on as the long trigger pull and a completely covered trigger while holstered are safe IMHO. I also figure if someone is close enough to drop the mag then it's knife time anyway. As a note though, I have a Kahr CM9 in jail that will replace the LC9 on my LTC.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          morrcarr67
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jul 2010
                          • 15053

                          Originally posted by InGrAM
                          I also have a p-11, great gun. I use it as a daily CC gun. It is a different animal than the pf-9 though.

                          OP: you might want to look at the p-11.
                          Isn't that a double stacked magazine? I would think that the PF-9 being liter and thinner it would make for a better carry gun.

                          I do have a S&W Bodyguard .380 but was thinking it might be nice to have something a little bigger.

                          I did read that the frame on the PF-9 was very lite and would flex a bit and that they didn't recommend +P's for this gun. So, would you gain much from a standard 9mm vs a +P .380?
                          Yes you can have 2 C&R 03 FFL's; 1 in California and 1 in a different state.

                          Originally posted by Erion929

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ZombieTactics
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2010
                            • 3691

                            As a side note, the presence of a magazine disconnect (on various guns) has saved lives in at least 20 or so documented cases. There are also several cases where a mag disconnect would have prevented a tragedy. There is not a single documented case of someone using a handgun with "one in the pipe, mag ejected" to defend themselves.

                            Whether you want one in your gun or not is another matter entirely, and I think its stupid to require it, but let's let reason prevail instead of a reflexive grunt. It's a useful feature for those who want it, and easily removed for those who don't.
                            Last edited by ZombieTactics; 02-09-2012, 7:14 AM.
                            |
                            sigpic
                            I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.

                            Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HERE

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              dougtoni
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2010
                              • 634

                              The pf 9 is a POS!!!!!!! The trigger is horrible. The slide is steel. On even a warm day it will rust up. You also have to have small hands to hold it properlly. There is no thumb extension on bottom of mag. My opion is to go with a trusted and known company like ruger. Just my two cents worth.
                              Aim small, Hit small
                              I view the world over my Front Sight.
                              Grandfather, please make me fast and accurate...
                              Guns dont kill people, Dads with pretty Daughters kill people.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1