Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Which color fiber optic?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dedub
    Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 192

    Which color fiber optic?

    Just picked up some fiber optic sights from Dawson Precision for a Springfield Loaded. The front comes with Orange installed, and it appears to be quite bright under normal conditions. The rear comes with Green installed, but they seem to be a little dull. The kit comes with a replacement Orange, which I'm seriously considering switching to.

    So, what's been people's experience with fiber optics? What color or color combination do you recommend? Thanks in advance
  • #2
    Sturnovik
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 2937

    Red/Orange seems to do well for me.

    For night sights I prefer Green, but thats only because the few places that do red tritium cant make it bright enough to compare what so ever. But these are FO, so I think your best bet is the Orange one.

    Comment

    • #3
      Squidward
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2006
      • 1779

      Red light has a wavelength of about 650 nm. Green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. So, red is more readily seen by the human eye. But I like green because it stands out better in contrast to darker targets for me.

      Comment

      • #4
        JaeOne3345
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2010
        • 949

        This is a personal preference. Just try both. Don't take any body else's word for it.

        Their eyes are not yours.

        Me personally, I cannot stand fiber optic sights. I detest them. I run a plain black serrated sight on my race gun.

        Remember to only use the fiber to quickly acquire the sight post, but still take the time to use the sight itself to get a good sight picture. Do not rely on the dot alone. Sight alignment is still critical.

        CALL YOUR SHOTS.

        Comment

        • #5
          JaeOne3345
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2010
          • 949

          Oh yea, you might want to try running the rear with NO fiber at all. Having fiber on rear and front may create a busy picture.

          You can get some black RVT silicone gasket maker found from an auto parts store to fill in the holes. Nice thing is you can punch it out with a pin/paper clip if you decide you do wanna go back and forth between fiber and plain black.

          Most folks who use FO (competition) use it only in the front.

          Comment

          • #6
            LCE
            Member
            • May 2010
            • 120

            I run green up front and the rear blacked out.

            Comment

            • #7
              speedrrracer
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2011
              • 3355

              I find green to be much more visible, but I wouldn't leave any single color on forever - you get used to it.

              Comment

              • #8
                NoHeavyHitter
                Banned
                • Jul 2011
                • 2876

                I have a Hi-Viz that comes with several colored "light-pipes". I like the florescent orange and green the best.
                Last edited by NoHeavyHitter; 01-21-2012, 11:54 AM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Gryff
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • May 2006
                  • 12693

                  I run a red fiber optic in front because I find that my eye is drawn to it more naturally than green. I don't run fibers in the back, though, because I want my focus to be only on my front sight.
                  My friends and family disavow all knowledge of my existence, let alone my opinions.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Can't buy anything here
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2006
                    • 797

                    Originally posted by dedub
                    The rear comes with Green installed, but they seem to be a little dull. The kit comes with a replacement Orange, which I'm seriously considering switching to.
                    I'd leave them alone if you like the front...that's all that really matters...and it should be brighter than the rears so it stands out more...
                    3 day waiting period???? but I'm mad now!!!!!!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ElvenSoul
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 17431

                      Can't you just go Rainbow?
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        chesterthehero
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 2070

                        i use orange on the front and glock factory on the rear..

                        sight picture is key.. the big FO sight does most definitely grabs your eye just make sure you are keeping it lined up with your rear sights.. people tend to stop using the rear sights when they start using a FO and then your shooting goes to crap...
                        Boy the way Glen Miller played, songs that made the hit parade, guys like us we had it made, those were the days, and you know where you were then, girls were girls and men were men, mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again, didn't need no welfare states everybody pulled his weight, gee our old Lasalle ran great, those were the days!

                        who wants a fishtank?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          dedub
                          Member
                          • Feb 2011
                          • 192

                          Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I think I'll leave them as-is for now (bright Orange in front and dim Green in rear) and decide after a few competitions.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            cwin
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2011
                            • 1438

                            Red front and green back works best for me. +1 for trying different combinations yourself to find what works best for you.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Dreaded Claymore
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2010
                              • 3231

                              Originally posted by JaeOne3345
                              This is a personal preference. Just try both. Don't take any body else's word for it.

                              Their eyes are not yours.
                              I think this is excellent advice. I'd also add that, in general, you want your front sight to be brighter or more noticeable than your rear sight. You might try using a fiber optic dot on your front sight only.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1