Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Jim Hoag update

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    keenkeen
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2011
    • 6782

    Originally posted by Iknownot
    It would be interesting to see the dates on when people were having less than stellar results with Mr. Hoag.

    I have a sneaking suspicion that as he has aged the past couple of years, he's having off and on weeks, every once in awhile.

    I know people that have used him, let's say 4 or 5 years ago with no issues at all. In fact, there were no real stories of any issues.

    In the last 3 or sooner years though, the stories started popping up. I know people that have gone to him very recently with the final work looking exactly as good as the same work they had him do on guns 5 or so years ago.

    So he is still on his "game" so to speak. I personally think, he's had a rough patch here or there though, for a handful of people here or there. The guy is getting old. It's not surprising. But the internet does have an amplifying factor for bad occurrences.

    I know, from stuff I've seen Hoag do, his work is pretty amazing, even recently, especially for the prices he charges.
    Very nice write up...fair and I would guess, accurate. Thank you for providing some perspective.
    "But far more numerous was the herd of such, Who think too little and who talk too much." -John Dryden

    Comment

    • #32
      1911ZENSHOOTER
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2009
      • 1326

      Hoping dd03 can chime in on details of his friends Kimber.
      'disce pati '

      Comment

      • #33
        Lead Waster
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Sep 2010
        • 16650

        So all this time it's just been a one man operation? I'm surprised he didn't take on apprentices or partners to help with the work load. Since he is very well known, I'm sure many many people send him work. With a one man operation, it must be hard to both organize the workload and do the actual work himself as well!

        I'm really surprised he didn't get into building custom guns like Les Baer, etc, etc.

        Well whatever happens, I wish him continued success. He has paid his dues and earned the respect of some really hard to please people (gun owners!).

        Hopefully he can condense some of his experience into a gun smithing book if he hasn't already!
        ==================

        sigpic


        Remember to dial 1 before 911.

        Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

        There. Are. Four. Lights!

        Comment

        • #34
          Can't buy anything here
          Senior Member
          • May 2006
          • 797

          Originally posted by Iknownot
          It would be interesting to see the dates on when people were having less than stellar results with Mr. Hoag.

          I have a sneaking suspicion that as he has aged the past couple of years, he's having off and on weeks, every once in awhile.

          I know people that have used him, let's say 4 or 5 years ago with no issues at all. In fact, there were no real stories of any issues.

          In the last 3 or sooner years though, the stories started popping up. I know people that have gone to him very recently with the final work looking exactly as good as the same work they had him do on guns 5 or so years ago.

          So he is still on his "game" so to speak. I personally think, he's had a rough patch here or there though, for a handful of people here or there. The guy is getting old. It's not surprising. But the internet does have an amplifying factor for bad occurrences.

          I know, from stuff I've seen Hoag do, his work is pretty amazing, even recently, especially for the prices he charges.
          Hey...either bash him or praise him..the internet is no place for fairminded and balanced thinking!!!!!
          3 day waiting period???? but I'm mad now!!!!!!

          Comment

          • #35
            smittty
            Calguns Addict
            • Feb 2008
            • 6268

            I had a pistol he built in the late 70's and it was an amazing gun. He's a legend!

            It would be nice if he would take on an apprentice to pass his knowledge and wisdom to. But I can only imagine that that person would be hard to find.

            Comment

            • #36
              Bobby Hated
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2010
              • 1616

              Originally posted by 1911ZENSHOOTER
              Wow. Broken extractor?? That's a pretty fundamental flop. Did you ask which extractor he used?
              when i called a couple weeks after, he didnt remember what he had done. i guess thats not a good sign is it?
              USPSA Master TY-71084

              Comment

              • #37
                1911ZENSHOOTER
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2009
                • 1326

                Originally posted by 1911ZENSHOOTER
                Well, after about 3 months and a couple discouraging phone calls, Hoag calls me today noticing I forgot to drop off my mainspring housing with the pistol.

                Ah, he's just getting to it I thought, but he asked if it was blues or stainless. I said blued, and he said "well we'll hold off on bluing till you ship it"! I put it in the mail within an hour.

                Could this mean it almost done???????? Aaaahh!!!
                **Channel Hoag Update**
                Called Jim yesterday to see if he got the MSH in the mail. In an alert and chipper voice responds "got it yesterday morning! We are working on it as we speak!"

                Can miracles happen?
                I was a week from driving down there to retrieve my pistol parts. I like gambling, but not with a $1600 project. Hope she is on her way to glory.
                'disce pati '

                Comment

                • #38
                  dd03
                  Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 217

                  Originally posted by 1911ZENSHOOTER
                  Hoping dd03 can chime in on details of his friends Kimber.
                  I'm back again...

                  The following were the issues I remember:
                  1. He took off too much material from the grip safety (I don't know why Mr. Hoag did it, but he did) that every now and then it won't deactivate the safety. There are also tooling marks on the grip safety.

                  2. Mr. Hoag grinded down the barrel to be flush with the bushing. The barrel is ok but bushing is full of markings.

                  3. The ambi safety on the weak side sticks out beyond the frame so it causes a painful poking during firing.

                  4. The slide stop that pokes out on the weak-side was grinded to be flush with the frame. The problem is it was grinded unevenly.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    1911ZENSHOOTER
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 1326

                    Originally posted by dd03
                    I'm back again...

                    The following were the issues I remember:
                    1. He took off too much material from the grip safety (I don't know why Mr. Hoag did it, but he did) that every now and then it won't deactivate the safety. There are also tooling marks on the grip safety.

                    2. Mr. Hoag grinded down the barrel to be flush with the bushing. The barrel is ok but bushing is full of markings.

                    3. The ambi safety on the weak side sticks out beyond the frame so it causes a painful poking during firing.

                    4. The slide stop that pokes out on the weak-side was grinded to be flush with the frame. The problem is it was grinded unevenly.
                    Oh my effin GOD.
                    These are horrific things.
                    'disce pati '

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Press Check
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2011
                      • 4879

                      Originally posted by dd03
                      I'm back again...

                      The following were the issues I remember:
                      1. He took off too much material from the grip safety (I don't know why Mr. Hoag did it, but he did) that every now and then it won't deactivate the safety. There are also tooling marks on the grip safety.

                      2. Mr. Hoag grinded down the barrel to be flush with the bushing. The barrel is ok but bushing is full of markings.

                      3. The ambi safety on the weak side sticks out beyond the frame so it causes a painful poking during firing.

                      4. The slide stop that pokes out on the weak-side was grinded to be flush with the frame. The problem is it was grinded unevenly.
                      Wow, man. Just wow.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        perpetual otter
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jul 2007
                        • 5093

                        My father had Jim get his Colt refinished and also had many small parts replaced... Gun came back better than ever. This was only about a year ago too.
                        I provide opinions...
                        At a rapid rate.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          Lead Waster
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 16650

                          It sounds to me like any 1911 (and maybe hipower) work is done with the usual expediency and excellence as always, but things that deviate from those are getting the short end of the stick? This is pure speculation of course.
                          ==================

                          sigpic


                          Remember to dial 1 before 911.

                          Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

                          There. Are. Four. Lights!

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            1911ZENSHOOTER
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 1326

                            Got a call from Jim Hoag just now!! He said, "it's Jim, ya know, the gunsmith down in Canoga Park." hahha. "you're all set, it's ready for pick up".

                            Going to take the drive tomorrow and report back with the long awaited results.
                            'disce pati '

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              ojisan
                              Agent 86
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Apr 2008
                              • 11781

                              Yup, I'm interested....looks great!

                              Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
                              I don't really care, I just like to argue.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                1911ZENSHOOTER
                                Senior Member
                                • Jan 2009
                                • 1326

                                Just picked up my Old school GSP inspired Springer.

                                The fit and finish of the Kart barrel, EGW bushing, C&S marine ignition kit look good to go. The trigger pull is crisp and breaks like glass at around 4lbs to my estimation.

                                Noticed the safety not engaging correctly, rather no positive click from the plunger when swiped on. Now i see the plunger spring is missing. No big deal.

                                Checkering is superb and beveled mag well looks excellent.

                                Had him install a Harrison retro rear and SDM dovetail gold dot in the front. Well the dovetail looks precise to the base but the actual sight is not flush with the slide so there is a hairline floating appearance. See photos. He looks to have supported it in the front with what maybe a shim or a dot of solder. It is very fine. It definitely is on there for good but no telling what will happen with POI.

                                Off to the range now for a 200 battery. Report to follow.
                                'disce pati '

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1