Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Full size 9mm recommendation

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    viet4lifeOC
    Veteran Member
    • May 2010
    • 4888

    Although I am new to shooting (12-14months), I hope this helps.

    I bought about 16 handguns in a 12-13 month period. Of them, these are the 9mm I bought:
    Sig P6
    Sig Pro 2022
    XD 5" tactical
    XD 4" service
    CZ SP-01
    custom CZ SP-01 (sights, trigger job, and grips)
    HK USP FS
    HK P2000
    Glock 19
    Glock 34
    M&P 9 FS

    Following the advice of many on the boards I decided I wanted to take a pistol training/tactical class. I had to sit down and think long and hard as to which gun would be my go to gun. Factoring in the price of the gun (cheap), reliability, weight, after market parts, customer service/support, etc..I decided on the M&P 9 FS. Oddly enough, it was the last 9mm that I bought in my 13 month gun buying spree.

    The trigger was awesome out of the box which suprised me cause of all the bad reviews of the M&P trigger that I've read. The reset was almost unnoticable. I put in Apex parts and I love this gun so much that I am afraid to swap out the factory sights for night sights for fear of changing the sight alignment.

    I wished I knew others who shot prior to my quest. Wished I had a range that had the guns I considered buying. But I didn't so I bought most of my guns without ever trying them out. My brother was the one who introduced me to the shooting range and he only had a S&W sigma and Walther P22..enuff said. Embarrassed for him now, I actually gave him my HK USP 9 FS.

    From my 13 month buy and try period and shooting at the range 2-3 times a week for 2-3 hours for over 8 months... I've learned that "I" (just speaking for myself) I prefer striker fire over guns with hammers. That reliability and a consistent proper grip of the gun is of the utmost importance. I actually prefer the a midlength barrel over the 5" tactical ones because controlling muzzle flip was more important "to me" than sight radius length at 7 yards. Acceptable magazine capacity for me is 8 rounds of .45 or 10 rounds of 9mm.

    Being new to shooting and not being a "fan boy" of any particular make or model, I read a lot of reviews and calgunners advice and bought without prejudice .

    Again...my vote would be the M&P 9 FS.

    Good luck on your search. It's fun and addictive.

    Comment

    • #32
      InGrAM
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2010
      • 3699

      Originally posted by Shawn L
      Go find a Springfield Armory Loaded 9MM.

      Yep, My 9mm 1911 is my favorite handgun to shoot. I say +1 on this.

      Comment

      • #33
        mrkam
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2008
        • 636

        Ruger SR9 is also an option with a 1911 style safety.

        Comment

        • #34
          Mofo-Kang
          Member
          • Jun 2010
          • 349

          I've read that the Taurus copies of the Beretta 92 are actually copies of an older design and some people prefer it (the safeties are different). They also say that they're the only really trustworthy Tauruses...lol
          ---

          Comment

          • #35
            HKMadness
            Calguns Addict
            • Jan 2011
            • 5262

            The pt-1911 are also said to be good. Cant say i know for sure or that i would buy one though.
            Show your friends your 1911's and your enemies your glocks!

            Say no to posers & wannabes.

            Comment

            • #36
              Kodemonkey
              • Jun 2010
              • 2904

              Wife has a M&P 9mm, and it is probably the most comfortable gun I've shot. You can get one with a safety as it was pointed out, but last I checked it wasn't on the safe roster list (I find that ironic, but I understand the reason why). However, since you are talking about a "duty" weapon I assume you are LEO and therefore are more privileged and can buy "unsafe" guns.

              That said, my USP9 is my go to gun that I am just most comfortable with. I like the mag release in IDPA (I use an index finger to drop mags instead of changing my grip) and I can get back on target faster with it.

              The trigger on my wife's Sig P226 is absolute gold, but it appears to be picky about ammo. I also don't like the long DA pull if you are holstering it.
              Last edited by Kodemonkey; 09-01-2011, 12:19 PM.

              Comment

              • #37
                HKMadness
                Calguns Addict
                • Jan 2011
                • 5262

                My fs usp 9 was my go to sidearm for a few years, until i got my fs usp 45. I still have my 9 as a backup go to sidearm though. And when i go shooting, i take both.
                Show your friends your 1911's and your enemies your glocks!

                Say no to posers & wannabes.

                Comment

                • #38
                  Rangda
                  Member
                  • Mar 2010
                  • 165

                  I have been wanting a HK USP fullsize (though in 40s&w). My brother had one and I like it. It's a really interesting design. I love the magazine release and easy to rack slide. Though the grip is on the large side but I have been shooting G21 for years, so it's not a problem to me. I highly recommend it.
                  I apologize ahead, when I'm tire/sleepy, my 3rd world English will sneak out.

                  A.K.A - Rifle Newbie.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    SJgunguy24
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • May 2008
                    • 14849

                    I carry my SP01 tactical at work, no manual safety, can't stand those things in a carry gun. Look into the EAA Witness(tangfalio) series. They're CZ knock offs so they have the lowered bore axis with the slide running inside the frame but they have a nice feature that CZ doesn't offer. You can shoot 9mm, 10mm, 38 super, 45acp and 40 out of the same gun with just a barrel and mag change. Also your able to change barrel lengths from 3.5", 4.5" or even 6" with swapping the upper.
                    There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
                    The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
                    The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
                    The others, well......they just never learn.

                    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
                    Patrick Henry.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      PandaLuv
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2011
                      • 641

                      Glock 17
                      Молон Лабе
                      I'd rather be carried by 6 than judged by 12

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Ventura_Yak'r
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • 571

                        Originally posted by JeremyS
                        Get a single action only CZ 75. Great trigger on those! CZ Custom has a couple options, but here's the basic one: http://czcustom.com/CZ-75B-SA-PolyCoat-9mm.aspx
                        +1 try it, you'll like it!

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          BajaJames83
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jun 2011
                          • 6042

                          Do you prefer striker fired or hammer? Single action or double action... Its all waht you prefer.
                          Does weight matter full frame metal or a plastic gun....
                          NRA Endowment Life Member
                          USMC 2001-2012

                          Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

                          John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
                          James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            Cali-Shooter
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 9192

                            Originally posted by tbhracing
                            Beretta 92FS

                            +1 to that or even a Taurus Pt-92. If it fits in your hand and you shoot great with it, why not? I regret selling my Taurus, but then I wouldn't have been able to build my m-16a2 clone.
                            In Glock We Trust.
                            Originally posted by jeep7081
                            My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
                            Originally posted by AleksandreCz
                            Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
                            WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
                            http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              CK_32
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 14369

                              Originally posted by tbhracing
                              Beretta 92FS

                              That or this



                              The 92/m9 is a great smooth beautiful gun.

                              The 17 is rough and rugged and works and is Childs play simple to repair and break down. Some say indestructible.
                              For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                              What's Your Caliber??


                              My Youtube channel

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                neomedic
                                Veteran Member
                                • Oct 2006
                                • 3276

                                Just wondering....do you guys even read the OP's post? He wants something with a safety.

                                Unless I missed a post somewhere where he is ok without safety, why is the Glock being mentioned?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1