Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Les Baer break-in question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • OofieXD
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 553

    Les Baer break-in question

    I might be getting a Les Baer soon but I've got a question on breaking-in the gun. Can I use my own reloads for the break-in? I still have about 800 rounds of my own reloads (200gr Bear creek RN, 5.4gr W231) that Ive been thinking of using, but Im not sure if its ok to use for the break-in.
    Last edited by OofieXD; 07-27-2011, 6:30 AM.
  • #2
    stevie
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 3856

    I have used both reloads and factory thru mine during break-in. Did not have any issues

    Comment

    • #3
      phil conrad
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2005
      • 1116

      I am sure the offical policy is no re loads. However, I might have ignored that with mine

      Comment

      • #4
        Yh8t19
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        • Jul 2011
        • 43

        Question? How many rounds for proper break in period? Sorry to high jack

        Comment

        • #5
          OofieXD
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 553

          Thanks Steve and Phil for the input! I'll probably just use my reloads as I think it won't hurt the gun.

          Yht819 - I think Baer recommends 300-500 rounds for break-in (before stripping and cleaning).

          By the way, just ordered a Custom Carry without the FCS, should be here on Monday and the 10 day jail starts.

          Comment

          • #6
            Yh8t19
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            • Jul 2011
            • 43

            Which Baer do u want? 1.5 guarantee

            Comment

            • #7
              teflondog
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2009
              • 4011

              I used factory fmj for the first 300 rounds just to play it safe. I had a few malfunctions during the break in process, but no problems after that. Make sure to lube it well. My TRS prefers grease rather than CLP.
              Originally posted by G. Michael Hopf
              Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

              Comment

              • #8
                Black Majik
                Calguns Addict
                • Oct 2005
                • 9695

                Originally posted by Yh8t19
                Question? How many rounds for proper break in period? Sorry to high jack
                It varies 500 rounds is "usual." It took about 1200 rds for it to really smooth up.

                Comment

                • #9
                  OofieXD
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 553

                  Originally posted by teflondog
                  I used factory fmj for the first 300 rounds just to play it safe. I had a few malfunctions during the break in process, but no problems after that. Make sure to lube it well. My TRS prefers grease rather than CLP.
                  For the break-in period, do I just lube the parts that are visible? I heard that the gun shouldnt be disassembled until after 500 rounds.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    teflondog
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 4011

                    Originally posted by OofieXD
                    For the break-in period, do I just lube the parts that are visible? I heard that the gun shouldnt be disassembled until after 500 rounds.
                    With the slide locked back, you can drip some oil down the back of the rails, which is what I did. The other parts should be good to go since Baer drowns their guns in oil before packaging them in the cardboard box. I found that the rails were the only areas that would get dry after shooting a lot of rounds.

                    ETA: A couple drops of oil on the barrel hood wouldn't hurt either.
                    Originally posted by G. Michael Hopf
                    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      GoingQuiet
                      Vendor/Retailer
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 2732

                      Originally posted by OofieXD
                      I might be getting a Les Baer soon but I've got a question on breaking-in the gun. Can I use my own reloads for the break-in? I still have about 800 rounds of my own reloads (200gr Bear creek RN, 5.4gr W231) that Ive been thinking of using, but Im not sure if its ok to use for the break-in.
                      No commercially produced firearm suggests the use of reloads.

                      That said, I shoot whatever I want out of my guns.
                      GoingQuiet.com, 07/02 FFL
                      PRIVATE MESSAGES SENT TO THIS ACCOUNT ARE NOT CHECKED - instead, email sales@goingquiet.com

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Kruzr
                        In Memoriam
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 1751

                        Shoot your reloads unless you have issues with the gun. If so, then you should try factory ball ammo. My Baers are fairly sensitive to OAL. I load to 1.250 with 200 gr. SWC and 1.260 with RN (both 200 and 230 gr.)

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          OofieXD
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 553

                          Alright, thanks guys! CC should be here on the 10th, and I will just try my reloads first. If I'm having problems with it, I'll just buy a few boxes of what walmart has.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            sammy
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • 3847

                            I have 2 Baers, a TRS which I got around 2007 and a Premier II in 2009.

                            The TRS saw no factory rounds If I recall correctly. I did shoot 230g. FMJ to break in the barrel. There was a few threads in the 1911 forum that convinced me that a FMJ bullet smoothed out any imperfections in the barrel to help with leading. If this is necessary or not who knows but that was my approach.

                            With the TRS I had 2 failures to feed in the first 50 rounds. Then it ran 100% for the following 3000 or so.

                            the Premier II was a nightmare. My 230g. ball ammo ran 100% in all my .45acp's but not the with this gun. Failures to feed every other round. After the frustration I went to the range office and got 100 factory which ran 100%.

                            After that all the gun has seen is 200g. LSWC ammo.

                            Just FYI my Baer will run just about any bullet length but the Premier II is picky. The LSWC's need to be set to 1.24 or it will not run.

                            And BTW, don't clean the gun for the first 700 rounds. The dirt and grime help smooth things in and Les is adamant about it. He knows more about his gun than anyone else.

                            Have fun!!! Sammy

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              BillPear
                              Member
                              • Aug 2009
                              • 386

                              Originally posted by OofieXD
                              By the way, just ordered a Custom Carry without the FCS, should be here on Monday and the 10 day jail starts.
                              Not to give you a fright, but when I bought my Custom Carry in April I was told by Les the gun had to be built exactly as listed on the roster which has the FCS. I hope he was wrong or it slides past for you!

                              Are you better off than you were four years ago?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1