Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

new gun purchase - paperwork question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Gts408
    Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 325

    Your DL and Registration/utility need to match and the new address you are staying at needs to be at least for 3 months.
    The second amendment protects our Freedoms.

    Comment

    • #17
      Jyruiz
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2009
      • 2045

      Originally posted by hcbr
      car registration works if your drivers license address is out of date.
      ^^
      This, when I purchase my XD, I had an updated car registration, but not my DL as the DMV does not send you a new DL when changing address, and that is all I needed.

      Comment

      • #18
        thirdflat
        Junior Member
        • Jul 2011
        • 32

        Originally posted by hcbr
        car registration works if your drivers license address is out of date.
        OK now this gets more and more intriguing!

        hcbr - you are saying that if I have:

        1) unexpired CA DL w/ old address
        2) unexpired CA car registration w/ new/current address
        3) DWP bill with new/current address

        I've been at current ("new") address for 10+ years.

        ...this will be enough for a place like Turner's?

        Sorry if I'm beating this thread to death, I should just call them!

        Comment

        • #19
          drifts1
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2007
          • 1443

          My DL still has my old address and I have that stamped card (which i dont know of any FFL that accepts that). I've bought 2 handguns since. Used my DL with old address and car registration with current address both times. One time at Turner's(Orange) and the other with my local home based FFL.

          BOTH said the DL proved who I was and the registration proved residency. None wanted to even look at the stamped card and although I had my ATT bill with me they said it was not needed, the registration was enough.

          Comment

          • #20
            Oceanbob
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jun 2010
            • 12720

            If you're over at the DMV anyway, just get a California ID Card with the address you need.
            May the Bridges I burn light the way.

            Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

            Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

            Comment

            • #21
              Rwhat
              Junior Member
              • Dec 2007
              • 96

              Been though this before. I just bought another gun and have to go through the same thing. Some FFL's will not accept the change of address card that the DMV gives you. I had to get and use a "30 DAY DMV" printout with my new address on it.

              I had to do this with 2 different FFL's for purchases.

              I think this time around I will go to the DMV and get a new DL with current address instead of getting a printout every time I purchase a gun.

              If anyone has any different info please let me know.

              Comment

              • #22
                nine eos
                Junior Member
                • Oct 2010
                • 82

                Comment

                • #23
                  The SoCal Gunner
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2006
                  • 3319

                  Originally posted by thirdflat
                  Do the addresses on my Drivers License and my Utility bill have to match? (they're both California)

                  thanks in advance

                  NO
                  .

                  Page 34 of the HSCSG.

                  Proof-of-Residency Requirement

                  To purchase a handgun in California you must present documentation indicating that you are a California resident. Acceptable documentation includes a utility bill from within the last three months, a residential lease, a property deed or military permanent duty station orders indicating assignment within California. The address provided on the DROS must match either the address on the proof-of-residency document or the address on the purchaser’s California Driver’s license or Identification Card [PC section 12071 (b)].

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    GuillermoAntonio
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 1526

                    I went thru that a few months ago, so I have.a.very good suggestion for you:

                    Call the gun store and ask THEM what u need, as others have.said, some take some docs and othera dont.

                    Why waste time getting something u may not need.
                    Hungry for ammo?
                    San Diego Ammo GB from Bullet_man911 ****THE SAN DIEGO AMMO GROUP BUY****!

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Donny1
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2010
                      • 2344

                      Yes, the car registration and a current utility bill will work fine, oh, wait, Turners? Not so sure, better ask the manager of the store you plan on going to.

                      It's like Big5, sometimes they don't act like a "real" gun shop.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        SofaGeorge
                        Member
                        • Nov 2007
                        • 180

                        Some places will accept the Change of address card (aka the Brown card) but Turners told me as of November they were no longer legally allowed to use change of address... you had to have a CA drivers license with your residential address. This sucked because it took more than 8 months for me to finally get a new drivers license.

                        The utility bill or car registration have to match the address on your drivers license.

                        You can also bring a rental lease, but it needs to be a one year lease... it can't be a month to month.

                        Unfortunately, many shops are different in what they will take. Some shops will take bank statements... some won't. Some will take brown cards... some won't.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Capt.Dunsel
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2011
                          • 1199

                          There is a magnetic strip on the back of your DL, if you have changed your address with DMV if the FFL runs the license thru their reader it will show current address, no "brown card".
                          If utility bill,car registration, or 1 yr lease shows same address as comes up when they swipe your DL you good to go.
                          Worked in a gun shop for awhile and know from experience with it.
                          As long as you changed with DMV and they have it updated YGTG.

                          Good Luck
                          Bweise says "I have to say the situation was not at all helped by 22 yr old former Airsoft douches who kept touting here, "But possession is not illegal!" "

                          Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.

                          Librarian " Calguns is not a 'general discussion board".

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            greybeard
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 1086

                            I use current address on registration old address on DL. It works everywhere for me.
                            John

                            The internet is like a 12 step group. Take what you need and leave the rest.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Kevin S
                              Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • 239

                              Turners in Signal Hill will take the stamped DMV change of address card. Just bought a new 22/45 there yesterday .

                              I used my car reg, drivers license (with old addy)+DMV card.

                              Dunno if this has been answered yet; but you can go to the DMV and get the card stamped right then; no waiting in the mail.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Rwhat
                                Junior Member
                                • Dec 2007
                                • 96

                                Originally posted by The SoCal Gunner

                                NO
                                .

                                Page 34 of the HSCSG.

                                Proof-of-Residency Requirement

                                To purchase a handgun in California you must present documentation indicating that you are a California resident. Acceptable documentation includes a utility bill from within the last three months, a residential lease, a property deed or military permanent duty station orders indicating assignment within California. The address provided on the DROS must match either the address on the proof-of-residency document or [PC section 12071 (b)].

                                Looks like this is correct. I will just use my utility bill that matches the address on my DROS, even though my drivers license shows my old address.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1