Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

My 92fs and problems

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mr.1904
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 3310

    My 92fs and problems

    Ok, so i bought a Beretta 92fs Vertec INOX off a buddy. It was my first pistol and i love it. Couple things though.

    First off i think the extracter's getting kind of worn because sometimes it fails to pull the brass out of the chamber effectively during recoil. The casing will just stay half in the chamber and half out, looking kind of bent where the extracter attempted to extract. Subsequently making the gun jam. Pain in the ***, i've cleaned the extracter dilligently and it still randomly decides to happen

    Secondly, the trigger pull. With the hammer back the trigger still has a lot of play and is almost awkward getting the gun to fire because the pull is so extreme. I mean you have to Really commit to shoot the gun. Its wreaking havoc on my accuracy. Down to the left almost all the time, to the left, to the left. It's really annoying. I've tried changing up my shooting style to accomodate for the awkward trigger pull. Is this normal? do other 92's have the same extreme trigger activation?

    Regardless it's bugging me and i wanted to kinda get a general consensus on what everyone else thinks

    Thanks in advance
    "Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."
  • #2
    GSequoia
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2007
    • 1356

    I'd look more toward a rough or dirty chamber than an extractor, particularly since the rim is being deformed by the extractor. Are you using steel or brass cased ammunition?

    No opinion on the trigger, my 92FS seems decent in SA mode.
    Alot isn't a word and allot isn't the word you think it is.

    I'd really like a Colt 1903 frame, bad finish okay!
    I'm also looking for a good deal on a 1911 frame or two for budget/spare parts builds.

    Comment

    • #3
      Mr.1904
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2011
      • 3310

      brass, and i was talking about when the hammer is back. So that would be double action. Like the amount of travel the trigger does before it lets the gun go off doesn't seem natural
      "Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."

      Comment

      • #4
        GSequoia
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2007
        • 1356

        Originally posted by Mr.1904
        brass, and i was talking about when the hammer is back. So that would be double action. Like the amount of travel the trigger does before it lets the gun go off doesn't seem natural
        Field strip the weapon and take a good hard look at the chamber. Look for any burrs or other imperfections. If you don't see any clean the hell out of it, I'd suggest a wash down the barrel with boiling water too.

        Do you know if your friend shot a lot of lacquered steel case ammunition in there? It is not uncommon for lacquer to build up in chambers causing rounds to stick on extraction (after the case expands). This is where boiling water help as it softens the lacquer up making it easier to clean.


        As for the trigger - When the hammer is back (cocked) you're in Single Action mode, when it is down you're in Double Action. I don't recall offhand how much my OEM trigger travels before it goes but it isn't far. I'd wonder if there is a "New York" trigger for the 92 as there is for Glocks (gives you a longer, harder pull to replicate a DA revolver. was originally designed for the NYPD, hence the name).
        Alot isn't a word and allot isn't the word you think it is.

        I'd really like a Colt 1903 frame, bad finish okay!
        I'm also looking for a good deal on a 1911 frame or two for budget/spare parts builds.

        Comment

        • #5
          Mr.1904
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2011
          • 3310

          I'll look into it. Thanks buddy
          "Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."

          Comment

          • #6
            HPGunner
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2009
            • 1359

            In Single Action mode (hammer cocked) the trigger travel shouldn't be very far before it releases the hammer. Not much different from other normal double action guns. If remember on my 92fs that I had, the trigger pull weight was heavy compared to alot of my other pistols, but the travel was not much.

            Comment

            • #7
              jermzzzzzzz
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2008
              • 817

              Try replacing your mainspring with a "D" model Mainspring to fix your trigger.
              sigpic United States Air Force Security Forces

              Comment

              • #8
                Lumpia is sarap!®
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2008
                • 2267

                Is the gun well oiled? With regards to the trigger pull, just have to keep shooting it or have someone else shoot it to get a feel.
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  ThortheDog
                  Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 321

                  Random thoughts:

                  What kind of ammo are you using? The only time I've had extraction problems with a 92 was using light reloads bought at a range. You might switch ammo and see if that helps.

                  Did your buddy do any mods before you got the gun? If he replaced the recoil spring with a heavier one that might cause extraction problems using lighter loaded ammo.

                  Same question with the trigger pull. Your description sounds really different from my experience with the 92.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Mr.1904
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2011
                    • 3310

                    Yea i think i may just have to switch out the trigger spring. I've got a buddy who's an armorer and i'll have him take a look at it. And all i really shoot out of it are federal i think 163 grain? the federal 9mm you can find in any walmart.
                    "Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ThortheDog
                      Member
                      • Mar 2011
                      • 321

                      Federal should be working ok. Checking springs is a good idea, especially if you know an armorer. Might also check the extractor spring.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Call_me_Tom
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 1298

                        Originally posted by GSequoia
                        Field strip the weapon and take a good hard look at the chamber. Look for any burrs or other imperfections. If you don't see any clean the hell out of it, I'd suggest a wash down the barrel with boiling water too.

                        Do you know if your friend shot a lot of lacquered steel case ammunition in there? It is not uncommon for lacquer to build up in chambers causing rounds to stick on extraction (after the case expands). This is where boiling water help as it softens the lacquer up making it easier to clean.


                        As for the trigger - When the hammer is back (cocked) you're in Single Action mode, when it is down you're in Double Action. I don't recall offhand how much my OEM trigger travels before it goes but it isn't far. I'd wonder if there is a "New York" trigger for the 92 as there is for Glocks (gives you a longer, harder pull to replicate a DA revolver. was originally designed for the NYPD, hence the name).
                        ^^^ agreed.

                        A 92/96 can fire without an extractor so I doubt that is the case. GSequoia's explanation sounds like money.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          tacticalcity
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Aug 2006
                          • 10929

                          Here is my take on it. It is going to tick a lot people off. It always does. I am not trying to offend anybody. I am simply telling the guy what I have personally come to believe after trying out all kinds of different guns since I was first in the exact same boat as this guy is in right now. If you don't agree, I am cool with that. But I feel pretty strongly that I am passing on a perfectly valid take on this. On that is shared by many.

                          Berettas have a nightmarishly long and hard double action pull. I would assume that is what you are referring to. You just phrased your question backward. The beretta is a DA/SA. Meaning Double Action/Single action. Your first pull has the hammer down and decocked. So it has to cock that trigger back for it to work. It takes about 8lbs of pressure if I remember correctly and takes forever. You end up moving your hand all over the place and pulling yourself off target. Subsequent shots are single action. Because the slide cocked the hammer for you during recoil. The first thought would be to just cock the hammer back with your thumb, right? Wrong. Because that is just not realistic training. The safety on the Beretta doubles as a decocker. So if it were in your holster with the safety on, or in a drawer with the safety on, and suddenly you have to use it to save your life...you really need to know how to control that first DA trigger pull because there simply will not be time to just cock it with your thumb every time.

                          With an enormous amount of practice and professional training you will learn to manage the trigger. At first you will end up with two groupings. One high, one low. Because you will be under pulling and then rushing the first shot, and over pulling on your follow up shots. It will take a very, very long time to overcome that natural tendency. But with enough effort and training time you can do it.

                          All of the above is why I am NOT a fan of DA/SA handguns. Especially the Beretta, which I was issued and carried for years and even personally owned at one point.

                          I realize it make it sound pretty bleak. If you really love your Beretta, then train with it. Keep on practicing, and get professional training. Eventually you will master it. However, if you are ready to start looking for an easier gun to master fear not you have lots of options.

                          For you next gun, try looking at guns with a different action.

                          The 1911 is a SAO or single action only. Unlike your safety, the 1911 safety does not automatically decock the gun. So you carry the gun with the hammer cocked back, and the safety on. So all of you trigger pulls are light and short. Very little time for movement. And they are all exactly the same. So you are not over pulling on one and under pulling on another. Of all the guns out there, the 1911 is my second favorite. Only because you still have to fight with the safety. It is considerably easier to master than the Beretta, but not nearly as easy to master as the next item on my list. The Glock.

                          The Glock has what they call a SAFE ACTION. The internal trigger is half pre-cocked. So when you pull the trigger you only half to cock it the rest of the way. It also has a very short trigger reset, and the trigger pull is the same each and every time. It is about twice as hard of a pull as the 1911, and only a fraction of what the DA pull is on your Beretta. The major plus is that it does not have a thumb safety. The safety is in the trigger. So you get a lot of speed out of it. And it is very easy to master. This is by far my favorite gun...especially for beginners just getting ready to take their first professional firearms course. The simplicity of the design gets out the shooters way, and allows them to progress in their training much faster than other options.

                          The Smith and Wesson M&P, Springfield XD, Walther P99 Quick Action, H&K USP and P2000 with the LEM Trigger Pack, and the Sig P250 (I think that is the correct number) all have actions very similar to the Glock. Some are considerably better than others when it comes to their triggers. Some are much harder, some about the same. All have a longer trigger reset that ranges from twice as long to having to completely release the trigger in order for it to reset and fire again. Many of them are extremely comfortable and very nice designs. If you absolutely cannot stand the Glock they might be the right choice for you. However, I still prefer the Glock over all them...mainly because the Glock has a shorter reset.

                          CZs as well as H&K USPs and P2000s with V1 Trigger Packs act like a cross between your gun and a 1911. Their actions are DA/SA but their safety does not automatically decock the gun. So they can be carried cocked and locked. Bypassing the first DA pull. Of these my personal favorite, and all around third favorite handgun is the H&K USP with a V1 trigger pack. Why? Mostly because like the 1911 you can carry it cocked and locked. Why do I like it over the more ergonomic P2000? Because it is currently in use by the US military (seals and other elite units), and being former military I like that I finally found a gun currently in use by the Armed Forces that I don't absolutely hate.

                          Sigs are similar to your gun. They are DA/SA. But the first pull is not as extreme and they do not have thumb safety, just a decocker. So there is no bypassing the first trigger pull otherwise you will not be prepared in real life, but at least it is not as extreme a pull as you currently have. I am not a Sig guy. They are extremely well made. However, I don't want to have a gun that has two different trigger pulls that I have no choice but to deal with. I want the same trigger pull every time. However, I am told they are easier to master than your Beretta.
                          Last edited by tacticalcity; 06-03-2011, 9:06 PM.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            paul0660
                            In Memoriam
                            • Jul 2007
                            • 15669

                            This Beretta sounds very dirty or a little broken to me. SA pull should be an eighth inch or less, and consistent.

                            With an enourmous amount of practice and professional training
                            If using and owning a Beretta have got you feeling about all DA/SA guns this way, I am glad I don't own one.
                            *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              tacticalcity
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Aug 2006
                              • 10929

                              Originally posted by paul0660
                              This Beretta sounds very dirty or a little broken to me. SA pull should be an eighth inch or less, and consistent.



                              If using and owning a Beretta have got you feeling about all DA/SA guns this way, I am glad I don't own one.
                              I admit I am over stating things a little bit. But only a little. The Beretta M9 really did turn me off to DA/SA handguns.

                              By comparison the 1911 and Glock are still considerably easier to master. Having the same pull each time is a real plus...especially when you are new to defensive shooting.

                              Once you have the basics down pat, then switching to a DA/SA and trying to master that action is a lot easier. Because now you can focus on not over or under pulling trigger and dealing with two distinct pulls. Everything else is second nature to you. When you are new, it is extremely distracting. Perosnally I say why bother if you don't have to?

                              Of course, if you are issued that gun and not allowed to carry something else...bear down and master it. If it is all you got, you better learn it back to front. Your life depends on it.
                              Last edited by tacticalcity; 06-03-2011, 9:22 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1